Reload this Page >

Rorschach 12 issue maxi-series coming in October by King & Fornes

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Rorschach 12 issue maxi-series coming in October by King & Fornes

Old 07-18-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Rorschach 12 issue maxi-series coming in October by King & Fornes

I thought the TV series was a big hit but it turns out that wasn’t the case. I guess that’s why HBO didn’t renew it for a 2nd season and why Lindelof said that he was finished with the story.

HBO's Watchmen Wasn't As Popular As You Think
Old 07-19-20, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 432 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I thought the TV series was a big hit but it turns out that wasn’t the case.
I mean, did you even read past the headline?

"According to HBO, Watchmen was among the most-watched series last year, and was premium cable's most-watched new series."
The following users liked this post:
The Valeyard (07-20-20)
Old 07-19-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

HBO was looking for a Game of Thrones-type hit when greenlighting Watchmen. Game of Thrones was a massive hit in younger demographics, which usually isn't a strong point of HBO's line-up. They didn't spend nearly $100 million developing Watchmen for one season. The channel has learned to cut its losses when something doesn't "pop" right away.
Old 07-19-20, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

So are we not taking Lindelof at face value now? Because that was certainly written as a decent one and done series, I don't see any indication they were trying for any more than that (although I'm sure they would've milked it with some other director, with diminishing returns like True Detective).
Old 07-19-20, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
I mean, did you even read past the headline?

"According to HBO, Watchmen was among the most-watched series last year, and was premium cable's most-watched new series."
I did. Did you comprehend the "UPDATE" you're quoting? "According to HBO...a network representative told CBR..."

HBO is assuring a news outlet that published a critical story on their programing, that no, their show that multiple websites and data says was not a big hit and didn't get renewed for a second season, actually WAS a big hit. Forget that HBO is owned by Warner Media LLC, which owns DC Comics and the Watchmen property and has a vested interest to promote the idea that their IPs and various brands and sub-divisions are successful. And forget that HBO doesn't engage in dishonesty to make their programming look more successful than it its.

How HBO Made It Look Like Critics Liked 'The Newsroom' - Forbes

Originally Posted by fujishig
So are we not taking Lindelof at face value now? Because that was certainly written as a decent one and done series, I don't see any indication they were trying for any more than that (although I'm sure they would've milked it with some other director, with diminishing returns like True Detective).
Lindelof is not the most sincere or honest guy so why should we take what he says at face value? Especially considering how people in the industry, from creatives to execs, are constantly trying to save face or put up a certain facade by using double talk, rhetoric or basic deceit.

Originally Posted by Damon Lindelof
Alan Moore is a genius, in my opinion the greatest writer in the comic book medium, and maybe one of the greatest writers of all time. He's made it very clear he doesn't want any association or affiliation with Watchmen ongoing and that we not use his name to get people to watch it, which I want to respect.
He says this in an interview with Entertainment Weekly promoting the HBO Watchmen series. The same interview which he claims that a teenage Moore in '85 (Alan Moore was 32 in 1985) would say 'Fuck you, I'm doing it anyway.":

I do feel like the spirit of Alan Moore is a punk rock spirit, a rebellious spirit, and that if you would tell Alan Moore, a teenage Moore in ’85 or ’86, ‘You’re not allowed to do this because Superman’s creator or Swamp Thing’s creator doesn’t want you to do it,’ he would say, ‘F— you, I’m doing it anyway.’
The whole interview is Lindelof using Alan Moore's name to the promote the TV series...but he's not going to use Moore's name to promote the series because he wants to respect Moore's wishes, right? And of course, guess what headline EW and all the other news outlets went with to promote the series?

Damon Lindelof to Watchmen creator Alan Moore: 'F--- you, I’m doing it anyway'

Even HBO's president of programming, Casey Bloys was using Alan Moore's name and attributed a non-existent quote to him in order to promote the TV series:

Alan Moore "not thrilled" about HBO's Watchmen, Damon Lindelof says "fuck you, I'm doing it anyway" - AV Club

HBO’s president of programming Casey Bloys noting that Moore is “not thrilled” with the adaptation at a recent Television Critics Association presentation.
How can this be when Alan Moore hadn't said anything about the show at this point and never returned Lindelof's requests to speak with him about it?

Then, right before the first episode of the HBO series premiered Damon Lindelof did another interview using Alan Moore's name to promote the show:

Watchmen Showrunner Believes Alan Moore Has Placed a Curse On Him - CBR

Showrunner and creator Damon Lindelof has now revealed that he fears Moore -- who is an outspoken practitioner of ritual magic -- has cursed him.

In an interview with Vulture, Lindelof said, [i]n all sincerity, I was absolutely convinced that there was a magical curse placed upon me by Alan [Moore]. I’m actually feeling the psychological effects of a curse, and I’m okay with it. It’s fair that he has placed a curse on me. The basis for this, my twisted logic, was that I heard that he had placed a curse on Zack [Snyder]’s [Watchmen] movie.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-19-20 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-19-20, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 415 Posts

Moore and Lindelof are both so fucking juvenile

Watchmen is my favorite comic of all time but it's not so sacrosanct as to be completely untouchable.
Old 07-23-20, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

“Listen to me you wankers. If you keep doing sequels, prequels and more spinoffs of my work, I will put a curse on you so bad that you will be asking to get Coronavirus instead. Do ya hear what I’m saying?!!”
Old 07-23-20, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood

“Listen to me you wankers. If you keep doing sequels, prequels and more spinoffs of my work, I will put a curse on you so bad that you will be asking to get Coronavirus instead. Do ya hear what I’m saying?!!”
Nuff Said!~Ghost of Jack King Kirby
Old 04-11-21, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Sorry for this bump but did anyone ever start a topic on Doomsday Clock?
I couldn’t find one.
Old 04-11-21, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Sorry for this bump but did anyone ever start a topic on Doomsday Clock?
I couldn’t find one.
I think all Doomsday Clock discussion is buried on the DC Rebirth thread.
Old 04-11-21, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Ok. Just finished it.
I’ll take a peak in there.