Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel acquires the Aliens and Predator licenses

Old 07-04-20, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Marvel acquires the Aliens and Predator licenses

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
​​​
Dark Horse should try to acquire temporary rights to Robocop and the Terminator, or maybe the 80's horror franchises.
They are late to the party with Terminator, after using them approximately 2 decades (with Dynamite having a couple of brief mini-series over 10 years ago). Right now IDW has the Terminator license and they are doing a pretty fun Transformers vs Terminator mini-series.

Dark Horse has had a string of bad luck and management over the past decade. They lost Star Wars, Conan, Aliens and Predator to Marvel. The Goon agreement expired and Eric Powell decided to self-publish again. The lost Buffy and Angel to Boom. Godzilla, Planet of the Apes and Usagi to IDW. Tank Girl to Titan. Mind MGMT finish their run. Then Brian Wood got accused of being a pervert and his stuff has basically disappeared. Fight Club aint coming back anytime soon, at least not with Cameron Stewart.

It seems that DH is just living on their past reputation of putting out great stuff back in the 80s and 90s and for books that don't publish regularly anymore. Umbrella Academy and Hellboy have books here and there but no consistent releases. Mask and Concrete haven't had books in years. Same with X, Barb Wire, Ghost, and Black Beetle.

Right now they are depending on Strangers Things, the Disney books they license from Marvel, the Zelda guides and some odd series here and there. In reality, there aren't too many valuable licenses out there right now that would boost their company other than Nintendo and the Universal Monsters franchise.

Old 07-05-20, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 432 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
​​​We can thank Dark Horse for the Alien vs Predator franchise. They took that scene from Predator 2, where we caught a glimpse of an Alien skull on the Predators space craft and ran with it.
I was pretty sure that wasn’t the case, so I checked to make sure. Sure enough the first AvP comic appearance (DHP #36) was Feb 1990. And the first miniseries was June-Dec 1990. Predator 2 didn’t come out until Nov 1990.

According to some notes in the first TPB, the combination was the result of brainstorming between the writers and editors.
Old 07-05-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I can’t support this entertainment monopoly that Disney is pursuing.
Old 07-05-20, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
I can’t support this entertainment monopoly that Disney is pursuing.
This is the norm now or did you miss the AT&T/Warner Bros merger?
Old 07-05-20, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
This is the norm now or did you miss the AT&T/Warner Bros merger?
I stopped buying Marvel and DC a while ago. OMD and reducing the page count to 21 while raising the price made me stay away from Marvel.

DC put me off with their constant fuckery: All-Star Batman, Wonder Woman couldn’t even have a regular writer and artist change ups, never ending events, killing off and raping characters. It was ridiculous.

I was thinking about buying up some DC comics because of Kevin Maguire but I think I’m good.

When I do make it the comic shop I end up getting independents.

Old 07-07-20, 06:57 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The WildCATs/Aliens crossover hasn't been reprinted by DC in a long time. I think the last (only?) time they reprinted it was in the "Stormwatch: Final Orbit" TPB that reprinted Stormwatch v2 #10, WildCATs/Aliens, and Stormwatch v2 #11. It wasn't included in the recent two volume TPB reprint of Ellis' Stormwatch run.
Actually, it was also included in DC Comics/Dark Horse Comics: Aliens four years ago.
Old 01-13-22, 09:22 PM
Banned

The Predator lawsuit has been resolved so the Marvel Predator book and variant covers can finally move forward

The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-18-22)
Old 04-21-22, 11:05 AM
Banned

After 2 years, Predator #1 finally being released by Marvel