DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Booster Gold! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/650806-booster-gold.html)

B5Erik 07-01-20 11:06 PM

Booster Gold!

I actually was first exposed to Booster Gold on an episode of Justice League Unlimited. My daughter was a big fan, so I bought her the DVD sets. The character of Booster Gold intrigued me. A guy from the future who came back to be a superhero to become a rich celebrity? But he also wanted to be taken seriously as a hero by other heroes? And wasn't taken seriously because he marketed himself as a brand?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7f/f9...8a3a936efa.jpg

Now that was an interesting concept.

Fast forward a few years, and I've finally read some comics with Booster Gold. The first was actually the Justice League International TPB's from the New 52 era. I loved the character. He's really trying to prove himself, but he has a lot of self-doubt. At the same time, he wants to do the right thing and help people. Well played.

I'm going to go back and get the collection of his original run, which should be fun.

You've got to give credit where it's due - this was certainly a clever, original take by Dan Jurgens (who I've become a fan of) on the super hero concept.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51wiO7fDs1L.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1XF84Xj5SL.jpg

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61D8uVt05xL.jpg

movieguru 07-02-20 08:19 AM

Re: Booster Gold!

If you like the concept of superheroes trying to mrket themselves as a brand, check out Amazon's original series "The Boys". Most of the characters are a spoof of the main Justice League characters, but they are controlled by a corporation and most of their heroics are based on how it will affect and improve their social media presence.

Red Hood 07-02-20 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13766220)
If you like the concept of superheroes trying to mrket themselves as a brand, check out Amazon's original series "The Boys". Most of the characters are a spoof of the main Justice League characters, but they are controlled by a corporation and most of their heroics are based on how it will affect and improve their social media presence.

Agreed. That series is great and I can't wait to see season 2 in September.

As for Booster Gold, it seems that character has been lost in the shuffle over the past 12 years. Every time he's set to take a major role in the DC Universe, something happens corporate-wise that holds any momentum the character gets. Back in 2010, Booster was supposed to be a central figure in the Brightest Day storyline and then plans got cancelled because of the New 52. Then in the New 52 he was supposed to be an important part of realizing that things were wrong in that timeline and somehow those plans were changed. Then in the Rebirth world, he was also supposed to be an important character after his storyline in Batman and Heroes in Crisis and then Tom King was demoted and plans changed.

fujishig 07-02-20 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13766220)

At first I thought you were recommending the comic.

Don't read the comic unless you've steeled yourself for some really really over the top extreme stuff. Like way more over the top than the TV show.

Also, if you haven't already go back and read the bwah-ha-ha years of Justice League International, that to me is the defining characterization of him and Blue Beetle.

Also with the superheroes as a corporate entity/brand, there are several Wild C.A.T.S. runs that do this (IIRC the Casey run)

Also, for another take on this watch the anime Tiger and Bunny

LorenzoL 07-02-20 09:46 AM

I read a few Booster Gold comics and the only one that I really liked so far was his tenure at Justice League and JLI with Blue Beetle in the 1987 series.

PhantomStranger 07-02-20 10:22 PM

Love Booster and especially his team-ups with Blue Beetle. They have the best broship in comics. For years and years, Hollywood has tried again and again to develop a buddy cop movie around them. I first heard about it back in the early 1990s.

Some rumors indicate he may become a semi-permanent love interest...for Harley Quinn. Now that DC is dead-set on turning her into a heroine of sorts, pairing her with a hero makes sense.

B5Erik 07-03-20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13766223)
As for Booster Gold, it seems that character has been lost in the shuffle over the past 12 years. Every time he's set to take a major role in the DC Universe, something happens corporate-wise that holds any momentum the character gets. Back in 2010, Booster was supposed to be a central figure in the Brightest Day storyline and then plans got cancelled because of the New 52. Then in the New 52 he was supposed to be an important part of realizing that things were wrong in that timeline and somehow those plans were changed. Then in the Rebirth world, he was also supposed to be an important character after his storyline in Batman and Heroes in Crisis and then Tom King was demoted and plans changed.

Somehow that seems appropriate.

A character who can't get people to take him seriously (or show confidence in him) isn't taken seriously (and no confidence given) by most of the people who have been running DC for most of the last 30 years.

Maybe someday he'll get the love he deserves. Somehow I think it will be like the Justice League Unlimited episode where he is relegated to crowd control by Batman, and he ends up saving the world, but is called out on the carpet by Batman for leaving his crowd control duties (Batman not letting Booster explain that he just saved the world). Booster can be the best thing since sliced bread, but very few people will believe it.

rotfl

ddrknghtrtns 07-03-20 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13766641)
Some rumors indicate he may become a semi-permanent love interest...for Harley Quinn. Now that DC is dead-set on turning her into a heroine of sorts, pairing her with a hero makes sense.

That's a terrible idea! So of course that will be the way they go for the characters screen debut.

PhantomStranger 07-03-20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns (Post 13766739)
That's a terrible idea! So of course that will be the way they go for the characters screen debut.

Don't shoot the messenger. I don't like the idea either. But it would certainly elevate Booster's profile since Harley has practically become a Trinity member in DC's marketing.

B5Erik 07-03-20 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns (Post 13766739)

Yeah, bad idea. One that makes no sense, either. They have nothing in common and completely different personality types.

So, yeah, that's what they'll do.

TheBang 07-03-20 04:13 PM

For more superhero-as-brand stories, check out Peter Milligan/Mike Allred's X-Force/X-Statix. It was pre-"Instagram famous", but they would fit right in with that culture.

story 07-03-20 04:37 PM

I wasn't a DC kid growing up so I've never heard of Booster Gold but I like the concept you're all describing.

ddrknghtrtns 07-03-20 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13766868)
Don't shoot the messenger. I don't like the idea either. But it would certainly elevate Booster's profile since Harley has practically become a Trinity member in DC's marketing.

​​​​​​Sorry about that. Just have to learn to take rumors/news that involves the DCU in stride.