DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
1990's Spider-Man artist Tom Lyle has died

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/11...s7t-iBKrSywRXM
Old 11-20-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: 1990's Spider-Man artist Tom Lyle has died

I saw that yesterday. I was a follower on his FB page and have been watching the whole ordeal. I had hoped he would pull out of it but... it never happened. So very sad. Loved Lyle's art since discovering it with Strike! back in the late 80s. He was great on Robin and Scarlet Spider. Seemed like a really nice guy.

A co-worker of mine took his sequential art class at SCAD. I'm not sure how she's doing after the news. We really haven't discussed yet.

R.I.P.

Old 11-21-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

One of my favorite artist growing up. I used to study his drawings when I was practicing my comic art in HS, and his work on Robin was legend. I was able to meet him 3 times at Heroes Con and we had lengthy conversations each time. He loved talking about his time in comics and teaching at SCAD. This one hit me hard, and between him, Aparo and Breyfogle, all of my favorite Bat artist from my youth are gone.

I do have a couple of his original Batman pages tho, and a sketch he did for me:

Old 11-21-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
One of my favorite artist growing up. I used to study his drawings when I was practicing my comic art in HS, and his work on Robin was legend. I was able to meet him 3 times at Heroes Con and we had lengthy conversations each time. He loved talking about his time in comics and teaching at SCAD. This one hit me hard, and between him, Aparo and Breyfogle, all of my favorite Bat artist from my youth are gone.

I do have a couple of his original Batman pages tho, and a sketch he did for me:

I hadn't heard that Norm Breyfogle had dird. I knew he had some kind of stroke or hemmorage a number of years ago but hadn't heard much since then. I remeber he had a few Youtube videos up where he was trying to draw while in the hospital with a paralysed hand and he was disappointed with the results. All i was thinking was he could draw way better than me with a paralysed hand than I could draw on my best day with no impediments.
Old 11-21-19, 07:57 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

I think you and I have been next to each other because I remember seeing that sketch by Tom when he was drawing it. And same here, this one hit me hard as I knew Tom. He's been a regular at Heroescon and I always stopped by his table and talked to him. The topic that always came in our conversations is as to how much money is Marvel leaving on the table by not releasing an official Scarlet Spider hoodie. Apparently some of the top guys at Marvel hate the Scarlet Spider costume and what that era represents and they refuse to do merchandise with that 90's era costume.
Old 11-21-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Always loved how Lyle drew Robin and the Scarlet Spider is probably one of the best "alternate" costumes ever devised. Why does it seem like Golden Age artists seemingly lived extremely long lives, while younger comic artists from the Bronze and Modern ages are dying off faster? It's weird.