Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Creator signatures: do they matter at all to you?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Creator signatures: do they matter at all to you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Creator signatures: do they matter at all to you?

Not really. I’ve never had any interesting in even meeting creators let alone getting their signature on something.

That goes for all types entertainment though. Not just comics.
Old 07-29-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I was at the Chicago Comic Con back in the day when Moebius was a guest; Marvel/Epic had just started releasing collections of his works. I friend of mine was in line to get his copies signed and I tagged along. By the time we got to the table, I decided to buy the first volume then and there and not only did Moebius sign it, but because I was buying it at his table, he sketched a profile of "Arzach" on the inside front cover. My friend was jealous because all he got was a signature.
OK, I'm jealous too, that's awesome!
Old 07-31-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I have been reading comic books since the late 80's on and off but this upcoming Fan Expo in Toronto will be the very first time that I will go to a convention and get a comic book artist/writer signature.

I'm getting Stan Sakai as he will be coming to Fan Expo Toronto and I love his Usagi Yojimbo series. Other big names will be there too like Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee but I want Sakai's signature.
Old 08-06-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not a huge comic book fan/collector by any stretch. I grew up on DC, but mostly thanks to TV shows like the Adam West Batman, Wonder Woman, and Super Friends. I have maybe 200 comic books in my collection, tops, but I also have a small collection of DC action figures, posters, movies, TV show collections (Justice League/Unlimited, Batman Beyond, Superman: The Animated Series, etc.), and such. Anyway, all that to say that I've never been hardcore enough about comics themselves to ever really have favorite writers, creators, or artists. I've always gravitated more toward certain characters than the talent behind them, the one minor exception being Gail Simone, whose run on The Secret Six made me love the series and pay attention to her subsequent work.

ANYWAY, having said all that, there are two artists whose work I love and can instantly recognize -- Ramona Fradon (thanks to her work on the Super Friends comic books, which I bought as a kid after loving the cartoon) and Jose Garcia-Lopez (whose artwork I fell in love with after it graced a lot of the merchandising for Kenner's Super Powers toyline in the 1980s). It turns out that both of them will be at Baltimore Comic Con this fall, and for the first time I will be making an effort to get signatures. I have a big Justice League poster that I want Garcia-Lopez to sign, and I have a book of Fraydon's artwork that I want her to sign (along with possibly a single issue of Super Friends). I'm excited to meet them both.

Last edited by Mr. Flix; 08-07-19 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-06-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

I didn't know Garcia-Lopez was still making the rounds. His art is still used for commercial products, I imagine his signing booth will be in high demand.
Old 08-07-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I didn't know Garcia-Lopez was still making the rounds. His art is still used for commercial products, I imagine his signing booth will be in high demand.
He had a booth in Baltimore in 2018, but stupid me timed the day poorly and missed him. He was apparently on a pretty regimented schedule likely due to his age. While the booth was open all day with prints of his art for sale, he only sat and signed for about an hour every three hours or so, IIRC. I really want to make sure to see him this year. He's in his 80s and Ramona Fradon is in her 90s, so, morbid as this sounds, I want to make sure to meet them before it's too late.

Edit: Well, crap. I just saw the Fradon is no longer appearing in Baltimore this year.
Old 08-09-19, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was a teen and collecting, I got all kinds of stuff signed at conventions in the late 80's; Brian Bolland's Killing Joke, Kevin Magiure on Justice League 1-3, McFarlane on Amazing Spidey 298 and 299, lots of Adam Warren Dirty Pair, Marshall Rogers in Greatest Joker Stories hardcover. Norm Breyfogle Detective Comics, M.D. Bright on Green Lantern Emerald Dawn ... lots of great stuff. Great memories.

I was recently talking to a comic store owner about autographs, and was telling him about them and he pitched me with the line of "...you know because they don't have COA's and you don't have photos of them being signed nobody will touch them or believe they are autographed..." which was kinda a dick thing to say. But, yeah, I guess now a days you have to have photos taken with the signatures and COA's and all that gunk.

Oh well. I'll keep 'em for the memories of meeting them and shaking hands with them in person.
Old 08-09-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I remember now I have a signed style guide sheet for Superman by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez somewhere around here.
Old 08-10-19, 07:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

How drunk was I when I came up with this thread title? Awkward wording.
Old 08-21-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I ent want signatures on covers of comics anymore.
When I was younger it was fun to get them.
Most of them I got have been through Diamond so not in person.

only in person books I have signed are through a friend of mine who has worked as an inker.
He signed a bunch of books for me that he inked and he signed an Aliens action figure that his work is used on.
I as also able to get a stack of Bill Willingham books signed because he was at my friends house
staying there for a con I Think.

Old 08-24-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I met Stan Sakai and had a couple of items signed for me. I got his signature along with his wife. Nice guy and pleasant experience.
Old 08-24-19, 06:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I met Stan Sakai and had a couple of items signed for me. I got his signature along with his wife. Nice guy and pleasant experience.
He gave you his wife ?! Wow, that really is nice.
Old 08-24-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
He gave you his wife ?! Wow, that really is nice.
I meant I got his wife signature too.