Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Spider-Man where to start catching up post 2005

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
Spider-Man where to start catching up post 2005

So I have a free month of Marvel unlimited.
Its been over a decade since I’ve read anything SM so I want to binge a bunch of Spider-Man.
Looks like the Superior Spider-Man is a popular storyline. So maybe that. Or something else?

Also what is Marvel Unlimited?
Im looking through it and it looks like issues are missing.
For example Amazing Spider-Man 699 seems to be missing.
I think 699 is right at the start of the superior stories.

Old 08-11-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Spider-Man where to start catching up post 2005

Oh well no one.
I started reading around 695 then tweeted at Slott for a,suggestion on where to start and he pointed me at 600 as the start of the Superior Spider-man business.
So for the last month I read everything from 600 right through to 700 including all the .1 .2 etc issues.

I did skip through a handful of issues that seemed to be filler more then being connected to anything important.

There is a lot of really terrible pencils in those 100+ issues.

Everytime Waid had a story it was just poor and really sloppy Art.
I know there must be a template on they look of the characters especially PP and MJW but if you opened some of those books you wouldn’t know they where supposed to be PP and MJW unless someone told you.

Now after issue 700 it looks like all the numbering is all over the place again.
Apparently Amazing stopped at 700 and Superior became the main title.
Then there’s a Avenging book too that ties into that continuity.

Then about 1 or 2 years in to that a new Amazing starts and then about 2 years ago another Superior title.
My free sub is over but there are still ways to read these so now I’m just trying to figure out the reading order.

This Superior SM thing seems to have started in 2014.

Old 08-11-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I would start at #1 honestly. The Stan Ditko/Romita years are so good. College Spidey with his great supporting cast is still the best.
Old 08-11-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I’m enjoying the current series by Nick Spencer and Ryan Ottley. The Superior Foes of Spider-Man Spencer wrote was also really good and ties into the current series.
Old 08-11-19, 03:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I’ve read little Spider-Man in my life, have enjoyed most of what I’ve tried over the decades though. But my collecting mania takes over when Comixology has double dip sales, so I’ve accumulated pretty much every Spider-Man comic for pennies an issue. One of these years I’ll start a read-thru from issue one, skipping many but trying to hit most of the main continuity.
Old 08-11-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I would start at #1 honestly. The Stan Ditko/Romita years are so good. College Spidey with his great supporting cast is still the best.
Originally Posted by stingermck
I quoted you twice because I agree with this gigantically.
Old 08-11-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I’m not reading from 1.
I own almost every issue from 6 on up to about 570 or so.

Read them, know how great much of it is.

stopped buying them around when Brand new day was wrapping up.
That’s why I was looking for a good jumping on point after ‘05 or the BND stuff.

Slott himself got me into a great starting point.

Found this web site with what appears to be a good reading order but it stops at a few years ago so it isn’t fully caught up.

https://comicbookreadingorders.com/m...reading-order/

Old 08-11-19, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Spider-Island. The Superior Spider-Man storyline is good. After that read Edge of Spider-Verse, Spider-Verse, Spider-Men (both mini-series), Spider-Geddon, the Donny Cates Venom book and Absolute Carnage, which just started last week.
Old 08-11-19, 07:33 PM
Banned

This Wiki list has the recent storylines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Man_storylines
Old 08-11-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. For that wiki.

I didn’t care for Spider Island.
Wasnt anything like I expected.
Thought it was pretty dopey.

Dont like stories that turn people into creatures and then a miracle cure immediately turns them back and that’s abkut it for that story.
Big Time was a pretty decent story but that art for that was garbage so I was a bit disappointed.
Hated what they had the Lizard do to his own son.
Old 08-12-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Oh well no one.
I started reading around 695 then tweeted at Slott for a,suggestion on where to start and he pointed me at 600 as the start of the Superior Spider-man business.
So for the last month I read everything from 600 right through to 700 including all the .1 .2 etc issues.

I did skip through a handful of issues that seemed to be filler more then being connected to anything important.

There is a lot of really terrible pencils in those 100+ issues.

Everytime Waid had a story it was just poor and really sloppy Art.
I know there must be a template on they look of the characters especially PP and MJW but if you opened some of those books you wouldn’t know they where supposed to be PP and MJW unless someone told you.
You are encountering Marvel's new house style of the past decade - as cheap and disposable art as possible.

Old 08-13-19, 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
You are encountering Marvel's new house style of the past decade - as cheap and disposable art as possible.
I don't think is the house style but apparently because he's fast and serviceable and had chemistry with Slott, Humberto Ramos was given the reigns to Spider-Man for far too long. I really dislike his art to the point that is distracting from the story.
Old 08-13-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ramos is definitely one of the sloppy ones.
Paul Azeceta might be the worst Spider-Man artist I’ve ever seen.
Old 08-14-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

I'm old, old man, so I grew up on the original Stan Lee and John Romita run and all that followed. I finally left during the J Michael Stracynski disappointing (at least for me) run, which brought us Spider-Gods and the Norman Osborn-Gwen Stacy affair. About two years ago I started getting recent Comics trades from the library and sort of found myself lost without a compass. Spider-Man in particular has so many different series, spin-offs and re-boots. "Spider-Man Worldwide" isn't bad, since it involves the Peter Parker I know and a "Comics-logical" extension of his story (however, I don't know what the current status of the series is. I've enjoyed Bendis's run on the "Miles Morales" version, but I don't know what follows after the writer signed off the series.
About 50% of the art at The Big Two these days seems amateurish to me.

Last edited by DWilson; 08-15-19 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-14-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I stopped in the late 580’s so I’m is the same place as you with all this.

From my investigating it looks like everything after issue 700 has gone into a myriad of confusion trying to figure out what the reading order is because of all the renumbering and number of different series.

I can’t figure out where anything between 700 and 800 is.
This is as far as The Amazing title is concerned.
Its a mess.
Old 08-14-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd recommend Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, which ran for about 20 issues. I believe it's available in trade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider...oves_Mary_Jane
Old 08-15-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Crushing Krisis has great guides on the order of the comics and where to read them. Here's his Spider-Man guide which looks to be pretty current.
Old 01-15-22, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welp 2 and a half years later…….

I read a bunch of the Slott books of Amazing.
Never figured out why anything was after Amazing 700.
I think that’s when the Superior titled book started and read that.

Would love to know what happened to the numbering between 700 and 800.
Despite the links provided in here it’s still a huge puzzle that I haven’t figured out.

Got the itch to try and figure it out again so wish me luck.

Old 01-15-22, 07:26 AM

The link I posted covers it, also there's this graphic from Marvel that explains how they arbitrarily decided legacy numbering

The following users liked this post:
whotony (01-15-22)
Old 01-15-22, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

I'm not a fan of most of the modern era Spider-Man. I dropped out not too long after they decided to throw out issues 148-150 and say that the clone wasn't dead and incinerated, and was, in fact, alive AND the REAL Spider-Man! But, wait, that didn't go over so well, so they retconned that a couple years later and said, "Nevermind," Peter was the real Peter and Ben was the clone.

Yeah, it was during that era that I dropped out of buying comics for about 2 decades.

Since then I've bought some trades that I liked. Spider-Man The Next Chapter (Byrne and Romita Jr on the main Spider-Titles), Revenge of the Green Goblinm, and the first Straczynski Omnibus (although the Norman/Gwen affair stuff was horrific, the rest of the book is great). I love those books.

So, for me, it's ASM through most of the Bagley issues (although anything after the Ron Frenz era is a step down for me), and those books above.

Old 01-15-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joltman
The link I posted covers it, also there's this graphic from Marvel that explains how they arbitrarily decided legacy numbering

That helps a ton.
Was that from Marvel’s site?
Old 01-16-22, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
That helps a ton.
Was that from Marvel’s site?
I just googled 'spider-man legacy numbering' because I remembered Marvel released those graphics for a bunch (all?) of their series at the start of their 'Marvel Legacy' push back in 2017.

Last edited by joltman; 01-16-22 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-13-22, 03:11 PM

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

It's no wonder comic books are (again) dying off.

I am not a regular buyer (not for about 20 years), but between two library systems, I was able to borrow Volumes 1-15 of Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man run.

Naturally, Vol 15 was a short-loan and already overdue by the time I got to them, so I decided to jump in there and had almost no idea what the hell was going on.
To make it even more fun, from what I can guess, there was a "Sinister War" mini-series that ran in-between the ASM issues that would have been nice to know (two magical characters had scenes in ASM but the Sinister War TP I read next -- because God forbid there'd be anything in either TP telling me what to read first/when-- seemed to set up their side-story).

Writing is more intricate to match the current long-form serial storytelling everywhere-- and art is generally better than the Good Old Days (the printing certainly is)-- but the above is a major turn-off to someone who read 90% of Marvel and DC output from 1985-2000 (meaning I have some background on these characters). How can a new reader even decipher any of it?

I hate to be the old guy complaining about the new things, but not one single issue of any of those books would have grabbed me like the mid-'80s titles did. You got all or most of a story every issue. There was usually a little hook that had you looking for what came before and some of the time another hook to bring you back next month. But you had a beginning, middle, and end almost every issue.

Between two complete trade paperbacks, I feel I barely got half a story.

I know there are lots of titles out there-- and it is awesome because almost anyone should be able to find something "for them"-- but this is one of Marvel's flagship titles that should be getting new readers into the universe. It should be easier to follow-- or at least easier to know what to read and when.

The fact this thread exists tells us how screwed up things have gotten with relaunches and side-titles, and creator churn.
Old 02-14-22, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Continuity is a good thing. It is a writer's best friend. Sadly, most writers over the last 30 years think of it as a frienemy and try to avoid it.

Marvel and DC have totally fucked up in that regard, and lost a lot of readers along the way. AND in the process they've made it extremely difficult to get them back with all of the changes they make. The audience shrinks and shrinks as a result. Not enough kids are getting in to comics, and because the sales go down they become lower and lower profile so fewer kids ever even see a comic book on a rack somewhere anymore.

For me, the last straw was Marvel undoing ASM 149-150. Those issues were definitive and concrete. Changing that sent a big signal to writers working for them at the time and in the future - nothing is sacred, everything can be changed. And when you can change key events to where the old issues become meaningless? The current issues are meaningless. Why get invested in the storyline? They'll just change it in 5 or 10 years. Or reboot it and say that it never happened. There are no stakes anymore, and haven't been for a long time. It's all smoke and mirrors. Stan was opposed to that line of thinking, but he hasn't been in charge since the early 70's. I don't think any of the Editors In Chief from the 70's would have been OK with what they did in the 90's. Hell, as much as I don't like the job he did, I don't think Jim Shooter would have been OK with it.

I'm a big fan of continuity. What we've seen over the last 30 years just proves that maintaining continuity is better than the alternative.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (02-14-22)
Old 02-14-22, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I understand why companies like Marvel got sick of established continuity but they should have just set major changes in alternate continuities instead of rewriting the past.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.