DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Have Marvel and DC ever thought about trading Superheroes for a short time period? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/647747-have-marvel-dc-ever-thought-about-trading-superheroes-short-time-period.html)

dvd-4-life 05-27-19 12:36 PM

Have Marvel and DC ever thought about trading Superheroes for a short time period?

I was just wondering how Batman would do in the Marvel Universe and Spider-Man in the DC Universe(yeah I remember it happening in the 1970s).

I would limit it to one year because they both could benefit and share in any sales of their products.

Or better yet have them appear in tv shows or movies for a one-shot deal or have a Giant combined DC and Marvel Universe movie.

If you can make an JL or Avengers movie so I see little problem with both companies getting together and make one big blockbuster movie.

The Valeyard 05-27-19 03:40 PM

Re: Have Marvel and DC ever thought about trading Superheroes for a short time period?

Technically, almost every crossover was one company sharing their character with the other. Superman vs Spider-Man was released by DC. Superman and Spider-Man was released by Marvel. Batman vs Hulk was back to DC. And on and on and on.

Back when they did DC vs Marvel, there were talks that each companies would strand one of their characters in the other universe for a year (12 issues). Daredevil released through DC and someone else (Robin?) released by Marvel. But there were long-term issues that stood in the way such as who would release the trade collections and what would the situation be years later if both companies stopped working with one another (like now).

DC (Warner) and Marvel (Disney) really don't have a reason to work with one another anymore. There's also still bad blood with Joe Quesada regarding his Superman cock comments after he became EIC.

PhantomStranger 05-27-19 05:11 PM

Re: Have Marvel and DC ever thought about trading Superheroes for a short time period?

Back in the 1980s when Teen Titans was flying high, there were serious talks for Robin and Spider-Man(?) to switch universes for a year. Then Crisis happened and everything was put on hold. I think the only thing we got out of it was that Teen Titans/X-Men crossover special.

cultshock 05-27-19 06:31 PM

It would be cool, but considering that both companies are a part of huge media conglomerates these days, the legal red tape involved would probably be horrific, so extremely unlikely.

majorjoe23 05-27-19 10:05 PM

I remember reading in Wizard in the 90’s that DC and Marvel talked about each getting one of the other’s heroes for a year or so due to the Marvel Vs. DC event, but the logistics couldn’t get worked out.

But I’m not finding anything concrete about that online. It might be a good question for Comic Book Legends Revealed.

mrhan 05-28-19 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13556404)
Back in the 1980s when Teen Titans was flying high, there were serious talks for Robin and Spider-Man(?) to switch universes for a year. Then Crisis happened and everything was put on hold. I think the only thing we got out of it was that Teen Titans/X-Men crossover special.

The TT/X-Men team-up was 4 or 5 years before the Crisis storyline.

Red Hood 05-28-19 05:13 PM

I was talking about this several weeks ago at one of my local LCS because I actually made a formal pitch to several top DC executives about it. In short, they liked the idea, went to WB/AT&T legal to discuss it and they shut it down immediately . Corporate is too involved right now with Marvel (Disney) and DC (WB/AT&T) that doing a "trade" would cause to many issues. From what I was told, even the recent Batman/TMNT crossovers both in print and the new movie, were a complete headache for everyone involved since no one wants their properties to be on the losing side of the deal.

By the way, in my trade, I would send the Question to Marvel, so they finally get a true detective, while bringing Rich Rider Nova to DC.

Red Hood 05-28-19 06:13 PM

Another thing, legal from both sides is the one preventing Marvel and DC from crossing over again and having their past crossover events reprinted. Many artists, writers and editors from both sides have made formal pitches, only to be immediately rejected by legal and/or senior management. Even before Marvel and DC had their crossover events in the middle of the 90's, the previous events were constantly reprinted in a big TPB called Crossover Classics. That hasn't happened in at least 15 years or more due to legal bs from both sides.

OldBoy 05-28-19 09:29 PM

What exactly is deal with Captain Marvel/Shazam? Is the original Captain Marvel then Shazam the same character and published by DC Comics and that the Captain Marvel published by Marvel Comics is totally different character? And he was a guy but reimagined in movie as girl and totally separate. How could both have Captain Marvel? I know DC was sued by Superman creators or whatever bc Captain Marvel/Shazam/Billy Batson was very similar to him in powers and stuff, but wouldn’t this also be copyright infringement? I dunno. I’m so confused after talking with dad bc he loved original DC Captain Marvel/Shazam and won’t see movie bc he read and still has one issue of something, but says he was portrayed much darker and not the light and fluffy like Levi brought to new movie. And tried to watch Marvel’s Captain Marvel and thought she was tied to Shazam and I tried to tell him, but I dunno what the hell he was talking about.

The Valeyard 05-28-19 09:55 PM

Different characters.

The Fawcett Captain Marvel was sued into cancellation by DC back in the 50s. In the 60s, when Stan Lee noticed that the "Captain Marvel" trademark was not being enforced, he created Marvel's version of Captain Marvel (the Kree Mar-Vell). That version stuck around until Jim Starlin killed him in The Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel in the 80s.

Meanwhile, DC licensed the OG Captain Marvel from Fawcett. Upon realizing that they could no longer title a book "Captain Marvel," they opted to call his book "Shazam!" and kept the name Captain Marvel within the pages. This is the variation that most grew up with from the 70s to the 2000s. The good Captain was on Earth-S until the Crisis on Infinite Earths brought him to the singular Earth with a new twist - Billy Batson was still a kid while in Captain Marvel mode. A departure from the classic stories.

DC eventually bought all rights to Captain Marvel/Shazam. They own him and the Marvel Family completely. They changed it all up with the New 52 and dropped the Captain Marvel name for good (unless it refers to the classic version such as the one seen in Multiversity). He is Shazam now and can control when he uses the word to change back and forth.

Meanwhile, back at Marvel, after their Captain Marvel died, he was replaced with Monica Rambeau. Then Genis-Vell. Then Phyla-Vell. Then Noh-Varr. And finally Carol Danvers who was formally Ms. Marvel in the 70s. This is the one featured in the recent Marvel film.

That's it in a nutshell. Don't get me started on Marvelman/Miracleman.

joltman 05-29-19 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13556923)
Another thing, legal from both sides is the one preventing Marvel and DC from crossing over again and having their past crossover events reprinted. Many artists, writers and editors from both sides have made formal pitches, only to be immediately rejected by legal and/or senior management. Even before Marvel and DC had their crossover events in the middle of the 90's, the previous events were constantly reprinted in a big TPB called Crossover Classics. That hasn't happened in at least 15 years or more due to legal bs from both sides.

IMO that's the worst part of it. I'd love to read/own those classic crossovers without having to pay a boatload. Hell, even the more recent Avengers/JLA isn't cheap. It just seems they're leaving money on the table. Put together two omnibuses and let DC and Marvel each release one.

OldBoy 05-29-19 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 13557006)
Different characters.

The Fawcett Captain Marvel was sued into cancellation by DC back in the 50s. In the 60s, when Stan Lee noticed that the "Captain Marvel" trademark was not being enforced, he created Marvel's version of Captain Marvel (the Kree Mar-Vell). That version stuck around until Jim Starlin killed him in The Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel in the 80s.

Meanwhile, DC licensed the OG Captain Marvel from Fawcett. Upon realizing that they could no longer title a book "Captain Marvel," they opted to call his book "Shazam!" and kept the name Captain Marvel within the pages. This is the variation that most grew up with from the 70s to the 2000s. The good Captain was on Earth-S until the Crisis on Infinite Earths brought him to the singular Earth with a new twist - Billy Batson was still a kid while in Captain Marvel mode. A departure from the classic stories.

DC eventually bought all rights to Captain Marvel/Shazam. They own him and the Marvel Family completely. They changed it all up with the New 52 and dropped the Captain Marvel name for good (unless it refers to the classic version such as the one seen in Multiversity). He is Shazam now and can control when he uses the word to change back and forth.

Meanwhile, back at Marvel, after their Captain Marvel died, he was replaced with Monica Rambeau. Then Genis-Vell. Then Phyla-Vell. Then Noh-Varr. And finally Carol Danvers who was formally Ms. Marvel in the 70s. This is the one featured in the recent Marvel film.

That's it in a nutshell. Don't get me started on Marvelman/Miracleman.

Awesome. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

Red Hood 05-29-19 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by joltman (Post 13557067)
IMO that's the worst part of it. I'd love to read/own those classic crossovers without having to pay a boatload. Hell, even the more recent Avengers/JLA isn't cheap. It just seems they're leaving money on the table. Put together two omnibuses and let DC and Marvel each release one.

And the bigger problem of the 2 companies has been Marvel, who hasn't authorized a crossover event with any company since 2007, when they had Spider-Man/Red Sonja, Punisher/Witchblade, Cyberforce/X-Men, Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness and New Avengers/Transformers. DC has been open to work with IDW and Dynamite, but has 0 relationship with Marvel since 2003's JLA/Avengers 4 issue mini-series. Bruce Timm wanted to do an animated version of this story and was shut down.

PhantomStranger 05-29-19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13557256)
And the bigger problem of the 2 companies has been Marvel, who hasn't authorized a crossover event with any company since 2007, when they had Spider-Man/Red Sonja, Punisher/Witchblade, Cyberforce/X-Men, Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness and New Avengers/Transformers. DC has been open to work with IDW and Dynamite, but has 0 relationship with Marvel since 2003's JLA/Avengers 4 issue mini-series. Bruce Timm wanted to do an animated version of this story and was shut down.

That's what I've heard. DC is open to crossing over with practically anyone or outside brand, while Marvel's Quesada decided at some point in the 2000s that crossing over with DC wasn't worth the trouble. That policy has apparently continued after he left.

fujishig 05-29-19 06:06 PM

DC trying to live out that New Gods switcheroo, huh?

Highfather definitely got the better end of the deal. He got Orion. Darkseid got Mr. Miracle, who immediately defected to Highfather's side, taking away the top Female Fury with him.

Red Hood 05-29-19 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13557422)
That's what I've heard. DC is open to crossing over with practically anyone or outside brand, while Marvel's Quesada decided at some point in the 2000s that crossing over with DC wasn't worth the trouble. That policy has apparently continued after he left.

It isn't Quesada, although he left with a bad taste in his mouth after the whole JLA/Avengers crossover due to the politics involved from each company. The holdup right now falls on Disney, who sees doing a crossover with their competitor as doing an unnecessary favor to the competitor. Marvel has the advantage in sales and box office in both comic books and movies and having a crossover with DC, their main competitor is seen internally as a lose-lose situation. Again, there's too many lawyers and bean counters involved in this, so as of right now, the focus of Marvel is in their own IP. They still are dealing with the whole Miracleman legal bullshit.