Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Colorist Justin Ponsor Has passed Away Due To Cancer

Old 05-21-19, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Colorist Justin Ponsor Has passed Away Due To Cancer

The Beat reports that Justin Ponsor has died due to cancer. He was only 42 years old. I loved his coloring work and the fact that his talent graced the pages of so many different comic companies comic books was just wonderful.

i never met the guy but this one hurts, so much talent and so young. Folks also say he was one of nicer artists in the industry.
Old 05-22-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Colorist Justin Ponsor Has passed Away Due To Cancer

Is it me, or does it seem like the comic industry sees more early deaths than its fair share?
Old 05-22-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is not just you, Michael Turner, Mike Wieringo, way too young. I treasure the page of original Tellos art I won from a contest on the Tellos web page back in the day. It is profoundly sad that he passed but the art puts a smile on my face every time I look at it.

Too many artists die young but oftentimes what they leave behind is so great that it keeps you from being depressed that they have passed.
Old 05-23-19, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Add Mike Parobeck, Norm Breyfogle, John Watkiss, Tommy Castillo, & Len Wein to the list of guys that died too young. I think Len was the only one in that list that made it into his late 60s but that's still too early to go.
Old 05-23-19, 07:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I imagine that many freelance careers involve higher mortality due to many not having health insurance.
Old 05-23-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Is it me, or does it seem like the comic industry sees more early deaths than its fair share?
It may just seem like that because you pay attention to the people in that industry more than others. There are many that have lived long lives as well. Stan Lee was almost 96 when he passed away. We still have a lot of older artists and writers still living: Joe Sinnott, Allen Bellman, Joe Giella, etc. There are stilol quite a few left that are in their nineties and many around that are in their eighties.

If any industry has a low life expectancy, i would say it would be rap artists. So many of them end up being lilled by gunshot wounds and some by drug overdoses.
Old 05-23-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll agree that rappers have shortened life expectancies, though that is usually due to risky lifestyles.