DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Naomi (DC Comics) - Hottest comic of the year (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/647441-naomi-dc-comics-hottest-comic-year.html)

Perkinsun Dzees 04-22-19 09:29 AM

Naomi (DC Comics) - Hottest comic of the year

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e9ad7b2a86.jpg

Wow! The comic book spec world has sure gone crazy for Naomi (a part of DC's new Wonder Comics lineup).

Written by Brian Michael Bendis and David F. Walker with impressive artwork by Jamal Campbell, the 6-issue miniseries basically follows the exploits of a teenage girl seeking to find out the mysterious story behind her adoption. Of course, what she finds out will have major consequences for the DC universe.

Largely ignored by collectors during its 1st week of release, the comic suddenly became a hot item after news spread that DC had big plans for Naomi. With the release of each new issue (currently on #4) the price of the 1st issue regular cover (there is also a variant) continues to rise to ridiculous heights, with raw copies recently crossing the $100 mark while CGC graded 9.8 copies sell for $500 and up. And it doesn't seem like those prices are going to stop rising anytime soon, partly due to the fact that the 1st issue had a less than sizable print run.

I can't think of another 1st issue of a brand new character from the big two (Marvel and DC) where the price of the standard "A" cover has blown up so high so quickly. Sure, we had the first issue of Batman Damned last year that skyrocketed out of the gate, but that was an established character and was due to special circumstances (the Batwang).

Personally, I've found the series to be just "okay," with the slow buildup to the upcoming major reveals to be somewhat lacking in excitement and originality. Nice artwork though! The next two issues are definitely big ones, however, and could change my opinion considerably with a strong finish. In the meantime, if you're lucky enough to see any 1st issues of Naomi (the 2nd print is even starting to shoot up in value) lying on the shelf of your LCS, be sure to grab 'em while you can.

Red Hood 04-22-19 12:58 PM

Re: Naomi (DC Comics) - Hottest comic of the year

Even 3rd printing is sold out and going for money. The speculation on this is so ridiculous that people went on a wild goose chase when the Key Collector app sent a notification that Naomi may be the girl in the B cover of Action Comics #1002. The comic went from cover price to $30-$40 in a matter of minutes before Bendis and cover artist Francis Manapul killed the story by saying that the little girl wasn't Naomi. Now everyone is speculating on DC back issues that may tie-in to Naomi's partial origin from issue #4.

I like the story, but is slow paced (typical Bendis) and it's probably something that could have been told in 4 issues instead of 6.

Still, I feel that the Immortal Hulk run right now is a bigger story so far

fujishig 04-22-19 01:27 PM

I'd get on my high horse and bemoan the presence of rampant speculation making comics in demand again, but at least in this case there's still an option (digital) for people who just want to read the story and see what the hubbub is about, and it should ramp up some business for LCBS, so cool, I guess. But yeah if your comic shop still has these on the shelves for cover price, what kind of comic shop are they? :)

Red Hood 04-22-19 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13537929)
I'd get on my high horse and bemoan the presence of rampant speculation making comics in demand again, but at least in this case there's still an option (digital) for people who just want to read the story and see what the hubbub is about, and it should ramp up some business for LCBS, so cool, I guess. But yeah if your comic shop still has these on the shelves for cover price, what kind of comic shop are they? :)

I think this is good, old school speculation as it's driven by storyline and not movies or TV shows.

The Valeyard 04-23-19 12:33 AM

Naomi is okay. Nothing ground breaking. Very Bendis in structure (including people completing other's sentences).