Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the longest uninterrupted comic book series run you have read?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What is the longest uninterrupted comic book series run you have read?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-21, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: What is the longest uninterrupted comic book series run you have read?

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Bumpity bump! I have now read a consecutive number of Action Comics totaling 853. This is from #189 (1954) to the current issue of 1036. This includes the New 52 since those were integrated in the renumbering. I think I need a nap now.
Awesome. I am still struggling through the Bendis years, and it feels like I'm just doing it to do it instead of actual enjoyment of reading these. It doesn't help that there are endless crossovers with other titles/events.
Old 11-21-21, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It looks like Spawn is up to 323, and Savage Dragon is at 260.
Old 11-21-21, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It probably also didn’t help that, in its final stretch, Cerebus turned into walls of Sim rambling aimlessly about Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and his made-up religion in 8 point text.

Between his “form and void” nonsense and turning the book into a soapbox to obsess over religion and literature, it was like he was trying to drive off readers.

Though you have to give him credit for being decades ahead of the red pill-incel-MRA-MGTOW curve.
Yeah, I gave up on Cerebus after Melmoth, it started getting tedious. The first 100 issues or so were pretty good, and the High Society story arc was fantastic. Too bad that Sim went nutty and ruined his series.

So other than the first half of Cerebus (150 issues) the longest for me would probably be Sandman (75 issues plus the few things that came out later), I'm re-reading it for the umpteenth time now, getting ready for the Netflix show. After that would probably be Preacher (66 issues plus various specials and spinoffs) and Transmetropolitan (60 issues).
Old 11-21-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Probably Justice League of America for me. Starting with #1 and then reading all of its iterations through the early 2000s.

I plan to do this for the Legion of Super-heroes very soon. I have a stack of omnibuses waiting for the right moment.
Old 11-21-21, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I had quite a few complete runs when I was collecting in the early 90’s. I had complete runs of Animal Man, The Demon, Hitman, GL Mosaic, and a lot others I can’t remember at the moment. Sold them all for practically nothing when I moved.
Old 11-21-21, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I remember Cerberus feeling like such a long series, but at 150 issues it's barely longer than Invincible (144 issues which I also finished, if you include the side issues in the same universe like Wolfman it's more than 150). That seems crazy to me.
Old 11-22-21, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I remember Cerberus feeling like such a long series, but at 150 issues it's barely longer than Invincible (144 issues which I also finished, if you include the side issues in the same universe like Wolfman it's more than 150). That seems crazy to me.
I think the longest for me after The Walking Dead is Amazing Spider-Man. I read that from around #240 to into the 400's up to the point where they said Peter was the clone and Ben Reilly became Spider-Man. I haven't really got back to reading that title consistantly ever since.

My daughter just read through the first Invincibles omnibus or whatever they are calling it. I think that is between 55-60 issues. She got through it in less than a week and has ordered the other ones from the library, so that will probbly be her longest run. I can't get her into reading (or watching) The Walking Dead.
Old 12-03-21, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Actually Cerebus was 300 issues, I only read the first 150 and then gave up.