Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend 70's or 80's DC Superhero Titles...

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Recommend 70's or 80's DC Superhero Titles...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Recommend 70's or 80's DC Superhero Titles...

Frank Miller's Batman stories(Year 1 and DKR)
Byrne's Man of Steel
The Question by Denny'O Neil
Batman by Denny 0'Neil and Neal Adams
Batman: Strange Apparitions(seriously, this run is still so ridiculously underrated)
Steve Englehart's Spectre
Vigilante is pretty fun but it looks like they are going to stop after volume 1.
Justice League International/Justice League Europe/Justice League Detroit
Old 02-20-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And, of course, the Marv Wolfman Titans run from The New Teen Titans #1 up through about #100 of The New Titans. (The numbering gets wonky because they restarted from a new #1 while keeping the first series going for a while.)
The title for the regular series was changed to Tales of the New Titans when they started the Baxter series. I believe they reprinted the stories from DC Digest and DC Comics presents in #58 and started reprinting the Baxter series until the title was cancelled. I stopped collecting with #58 but stayed with the Baxter series.

Old 02-20-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
The title for the regular series was changed to Tales of the New Titans when they started the Baxter series. I believe they reprinted the stories from DC Digest and DC Comics presents in #58 and started reprinting the Baxter series until the title was cancelled. I stopped collecting with #58 but stayed with the Baxter series.
Yeah, they wanted to separate the direct market baxter stuff by about a year so both had new stories and then Tales started reprinting the direct market stories.

The weird thing is that one of the most memorable stories is the Judas Contract, and that was in the newsstand edition of the book. Also, Perez IIRC drew both series at the same time. Two of the other Baxter books, Vigilante and Omega Men, were also basically spin offs of the Titans as well.
Old 02-20-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I was a big fan of the Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League run: Justice League/Justice League
international/Justice League America
#1-60 and Justice League Europe #1-35.

Thousands and thousands of comics later, I believe those may be the most readable extended runs in comics history. They are fun, fun, fun if you have even a passing familiarity with the Justice League. I crack up now just thinking about them.
Old 02-21-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
(Sword of the Atom) Ordered.

Thanks for the suggestion. Now if I don't like it I'll know who to blame.
Or not. The seller cancelled the order, stating that the book had more wear than he remembered. Bummer.

So, for now, the only one I've got coming for sure is the first Wonder Woman by George Perez omnibus.
Old 02-21-19, 06:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Do you do digital Erik? Lots of this would be free on Hoopla, or rent for $5 a month on Comixology Unlimited, or $5 collections to own in the regular sales.
Old 02-21-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Do you do digital Erik? Lots of this would be free on Hoopla, or rent for $5 a month on Comixology Unlimited, or $5 collections to own in the regular sales.
I'm not big on digital. I'm old school - I like CD's, DVD's, Blu Rays, Books, etc. Physical media works best for me.
Old 02-22-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

DOH! Forgot The DC Challenge!

Old 02-22-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, based on some recommendations and good reviews I bought this yesterday...

If I like it I may buy that entire TPB series.
Old 02-22-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
DOH! Forgot The DC Challenge!

I really don't remember much about the series itself, but comic book shops near me had this series filling their bargain bins for years. It became something of a joke between my friends whenever we would see it.
Old 02-22-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
So, based on some recommendations and good reviews I bought this yesterday...

If I like it I may buy that entire TPB series.
This pretty much redefined Superman since 1986. Great series.
Old 02-22-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I really don't remember much about the series itself, but comic book shops near me had this series filling their bargain bins for years. It became something of a joke between my friends whenever we would see it.
It was an out-of-continuity Writers challenge. Each writer had a different issue, and they were required to end each issue was a HUGE IMPOSSIBLE CLIFFHANGER. They were also required to provide some kind of "hint" as to a resolution of that cliffhanger, but it could be subtle. For instance, Jonah Hex was pulled out of the Wild West into the 20th Century, behind the wheel of a car, which was about to crash into a crowd of children. The "hint" was that he heard one of the gangsters in the car say "Step on it!" to another driver. That sort of thing, he might he use that to step on the brakes in time. Maybe.

It kind of went off the rails, story wise, but it was a LOT of fun to read
Old 02-22-19, 06:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

It was an out-of-continuity Writers challenge. Each writer had a different issue, and they were required to end each issue was a HUGE IMPOSSIBLE CLIFFHANGER. They were also required to provide some kind of "hint" as to a resolution of that cliffhanger, but it could be subtle. For instance, Jonah Hex was pulled out of the Wild West into the 20th Century, behind the wheel of a car, which was about to crash into a crowd of children. The "hint" was that he heard one of the gangsters in the car say "Step on it!" to another driver. That sort of thing, he might he use that to step on the brakes in time. Maybe.

It kind of went off the rails, story wise, but it was a LOT of fun to read
I remember being fascinated by it but can’t say for sure if I read the entire thing back in the day. But I pulled it out of the longbox last year, and it’s been on my bedside waiting for a read.
Old 02-22-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is obviously not from the 70's or 80's but I thought Batman and the Monster Men was a really good read and it takes place right after Year One.
Old 02-22-19, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Hawkworld by Timothy Truman and Enrique Alcatena
I'm not too familiar with Hawkman, but I think the most iconic version is the sci-fi silver age version where he's an alien space cop. Who solves crimes on his home planet by dressing up like a Hawk and swinging around a mace. Hawkworld, which came out in 1989 makes the idea work.

The Shadow Master Series #1 by Andrew Helfer and Bill Sienkiewicz
Old school pulp crime fighter, originally updated for the '80s by Howard Chaykin in a 4-issue mini-series, which led to this series by Helfer and Sinkiewicz.
This is superior to the Chaykin mini, and plays up the contrast between a 30s vigilante in the modern world better.

Batman Year Two by Mike W. Barr and Alan Davis
Not as well-written as Year One, but more enjoyable. Feels like a high quality animated cartoon thanks to the art team of Davis and Neary.

Justice League International Vol. 1 by DeMatteis, Giffen, and Maguire.
This is a good introduction to the bwa-ha-ha era of the Justice League. I always thought it was the loser version of that team, since it featured most d-list characters. Not the case at all. One of the best JL runs.
Much better though, IMO, is...

​​​​​​Formerly Known as the Justice League
and
I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League
same creative team, same tone, but these two came out in the early 2000s.
Old 02-23-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved Hawkworld but it FOREVER fucked up the Hawkman history... or rather, at least until Geoff Johns fixed it 20+ years later.
Old 02-23-19, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

If you liked Brave and the Bold and if you’re OK with stand-alone stories rather than an ongoing run, I like Tales of the Batman: Alan Brennert.
Old 02-23-19, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I loved Hawkworld but it FOREVER fucked up the Hawkman history... or rather, at least until Geoff Johns fixed it 20+ years later.
The mini-series itself seemed fin. Like an updated origin story, just like Batman Year One.
I think what messed things up was DC having Hawkworld take place in the present, which mean the Hawkman and Hawkwoman we saw in JLI were...imposters? COIE merging Earth 1 and 2 didn't help. What a coincidence a guy named Carter Hall operating as the crimefighter "Hawkman" in the 1940s, and 20 years later an alien named "Katar Hol" from a nearby planet just happens to be part of a police force known as "Hawkmen."

How good is the Geoff Johns reboot? Descriptions of his fix still seem messy to me.
Old 03-01-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
The mini-series itself seemed fin. Like an updated origin story, just like Batman Year One.
I think what messed things up was DC having Hawkworld take place in the present, which mean the Hawkman and Hawkwoman we saw in JLI were...imposters? COIE merging Earth 1 and 2 didn't help. What a coincidence a guy named Carter Hall operating as the crimefighter "Hawkman" in the 1940s, and 20 years later an alien named "Katar Hol" from a nearby planet just happens to be part of a police force known as "Hawkmen."

How good is the Geoff Johns reboot? Descriptions of his fix still seem messy to me.
I think they did fine merging the JSA in after Crisis, even if they did put them on ice for a long while with the ragnarok thing. The Hawkman stuff would've been ok with the whole reincarnation bit they had (as far as JSA goes) but the spacecop thing... yeah, they had to commit to it and they didn't.

As convoluted as it was it was a more elegant solution than, say, Byrne reintroducing the golden age WW.
Old 03-01-19, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
If you liked Brave and the Bold and if you’re OK with stand-alone stories rather than an ongoing run, I like Tales of the Batman: Alan Brennert.
Actually, I prefer single issue or 2 part stories.
Old 03-02-19, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's some more that I've ordered...

The Superman titles have already arrived, and flipping through them they look pretty good. I may just buy the whole set.
Old 03-02-19, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

If you’re predominantly a Marvel reader, most of the post-Crisis stuff would probably be a good entry point to the DC Universe. Crisis seemed to be an effort by DC to not only clean and tighten up their decades old continuity, but also update their silver and golden age characters into a more modern Marvel style mold.
Old 03-05-19, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So there was a gas leak in the street outside work today, so I couldn't get in the building. Given an hour and a half of free time, what to do??

Go to Southern California Comics in Clairemont Mesa! (San Diego)

I got a Spider-Man TPB that is going for $85+ on ebay for $40, and in their dollar TPB bin I found these...

For a buck each, how could I pass those up?
Old 03-05-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't even recognize that Act of God book. Looks like a prestige format limited series, is that an Elseworlds?
Old 03-05-19, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't even recognize that Act of God book. Looks like a prestige format limited series, is that an Elseworlds?
I believe so. Parts 2 & 3 have an Elseworlds logo on them. The story premise is very interesting. (I ordered 2 & 3 on ebay for $4.74 total shipped - not great shape, but not too bad.)

But I'm really happy with that lot that I got. A buck each? No way could I go wrong with that one!

Last time in this store they had some more recent trades for half off, and I picked up a Spider-Man TPB with part of the Straczynski run (#30-35) for $7.98. Great story, too. It's a great store - but at 70 miles away it's not really conveniently located for me.

This was a great way to pick up some DC stuff, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.