Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-21, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

I actually would have bit on those Millar Swamp Thing books, and Mr Punch if I didn't already have it. Most of the Ollie's stuff seems like random capeshit stuff that doesn't interest me.
Old 02-07-21, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Actually, Ollie's has been advertising a large purchase of used library books recently. One location I visited had an entire section dedicated to them. I came across several new DC trades, including various Batman books. I don't remember many premier Batman hardcovers showing up before like this. I'm also on the verge of completing all the Suicide Squad trade paperbacks. Only need volume 4 now.
Old 02-07-21, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
And Ollie's hasn't moved out West, why?

We get screwed out here. I mean, I'm glad that people do have the opportunity to get this stuff where they do, but it sure would be nice to have an outlet for stuff like that here, too!
They've been slowly moving in to places that used to be Toys R' Us or Sears, so sooner or later they will most likely put stores in the West.
Old 02-07-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not that this will end up anything like Gamestop, but interestingly enough the short action on Ollie's stock is rather high. Wall Street doesn't like Ollie's in the long run.
Old 02-09-21, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Actually, Ollie's has been advertising a large purchase of used library books recently. One location I visited had an entire section dedicated to them.
So they're trying to sell books that nobody wanted to read for free?

Old 02-09-21, 09:44 AM

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
So they're trying to sell books that nobody wanted to read for free?
yup. I’ve seen them at my local store for ages.
Nothing good either
Old 02-14-21, 02:50 PM
Banned

Found Star Wars Icons: Han Solo for $8.99
Mysterious World of Doctor Strange (Character encyclopedia with Alex Ross cover) for $4.99
The DC Universe of John Byrne for $7.99
Planet of the Apes: Original Topps Cards Series for $4.99
Fallout 76: Official Collector's Guide for $4.99
The following 3 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Captsmee.00 (02-14-21), Ishouldknowbetter (02-14-21), MrTerrific (02-15-21)
Old 03-24-21, 06:34 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Getting my 2nd vaccination on Mon. 2 weeks later I'll be able to go to Ollie's- RI is a festering hole of COVID, Woonsocket doubly so.
The following users liked this post:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-24-21)
Old 03-24-21, 07:07 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Good Luck! Hope you find some good stuff!
Old 03-24-21, 08:36 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Found Star Wars Icons: Han Solo for $8.99
Mysterious World of Doctor Strange (Character encyclopedia with Alex Ross cover) for $4.99
The DC Universe of John Byrne for $7.99
Planet of the Apes: Original Topps Cards Series for $4.99
Fallout 76: Official Collector's Guide for $4.99
Originally Posted by Eric F
Getting my 2nd vaccination on Mon. 2 weeks later I'll be able to go to Ollie's- RI is a festering hole of COVID, Woonsocket doubly so.
I went to the Ollies in Woonsocket (waring rubber gloves, no less), and I saw most of the items that Red Hood listed (are you from Rhode Island, Red Hood?). The only one of those that interested was the DC by Byrne book, but I passed.

I did get some Miracleman by Alan Moore (books 1 and 3), Rocket Raccoon vol. 1 (the 2014 series by Skottie Young), and T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGents Archives vol. 4 (plus a binder to put some comics in).

No Marvel Omnibuses to be found, alas.
The following 2 users liked this post by John Pannozzi:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-25-21), Red Hood (03-27-21)
Old 03-24-21, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Went to Ollie's last Saturday and found some of the books already mentioned in previous posts, plus Azrael Volume 1: Fallen Angel for $3.99.
Ishouldknowbetter (03-25-21)
Old 03-26-21, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
I went to the Ollies in Woonsocket (waring rubber gloves, no less), and I saw most of the items that Red Hood listed (are you from Rhode Island, Red Hood?). The only one of those that interested was the DC by Byrne book, but I passed.

I did get some Miracleman by Alan Moore (books 1 and 3), Rocket Raccoon vol. 1 (the 2014 series by Skottie Young), and T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGents Archives vol. 4 (plus a binder to put some comics in).

Any Batman Noir: The Long Halloween or any of the unwrapped versions of DC comics at Woonsocket?
Old 03-26-21, 09:04 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter
Any Batman Noir: The Long Halloween or any of the unwrapped versions of DC comics at Woonsocket?
Not that I noticed.
Old 03-27-21, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi

Great finds! And I’m in NC by the way.
Old 03-28-21, 07:51 PM

Ollie's today. Left behind Ms. Marvel hardcovers, Wolverine Return of Weapon X (only one), Thunder Agents, Golden Age Superman Vol 3 (?), Age of Ultron. Very messy graphic novel section,

Old 04-02-21, 10:41 AM
Banned

Got this one today for $6.99 at Ollies

The following 2 users liked this post by Red Hood:
ddrknghtrtns (04-02-21), Ishouldknowbetter (04-02-21)
Old 04-03-21, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

It is interesting that there aren't any outlet type stores on the West Coast that carry that kind of stuff.

I wonder why that is.
Old 04-03-21, 05:15 PM

one day, I hope to be driving along and find an ollie's bargain outlet next to a canadian dollarama and a books a million. The perfect cheap graphic novel storm.
Old 04-03-21, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter
one day, I hope to be driving along and find an ollie's bargain outlet next to a canadian dollarama and a books a million. The perfect cheap graphic novel storm.
Books-A-Million doesn't seem to be carrying that many graphic novels as before. I stopped by one last week and it had almost no Marvel books, few DCs and a few indies. They cleared out a lot of their inventory over the past 2 years.
Old 04-03-21, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It is interesting that there aren't any outlet type stores on the West Coast that carry that kind of stuff.

I wonder why that is.
No cheap real estate in California. Ollie's only survives by opening locations in some of the most run-down retail buildings I've ever seen in areas with cheaper real estate. It's a store out of time and out of step with almost all other modern retail chains.

Ollie's is like stepping into a retail store from the 70s or 80s. It's actually a bit fun in that regard.
ddrknghtrtns (04-04-21)
Old 04-04-21, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No cheap real estate in California. Ollie's only survives by opening locations in some of the most run-down retail buildings I've ever seen in areas with cheaper real estate. It's a store out of time and out of step with almost all other modern retail chains.

Ollie's is like stepping into a retail store from the 70s or 80s. It's actually a bit fun in that regard.
It's just surprising that no other West Coast retailers sell that kind of overstuck stuff. It's pretty rare to see overstock trades out here.
Old 04-04-21, 08:09 AM

I agree. You have to go pretty far to get to an Ollie's around here and it's definitely in odd locations. I think they rate strip malls and it falls into the lowest category. Seems like it's always next to a McDonald's, too.
Old 04-04-21, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Books-A-Million doesn't seem to be carrying that many graphic novels as before. I stopped by one last week and it had almost no Marvel books, few DCs and a few indies. They cleared out a lot of their inventory over the past 2 years.
I haven't been to Books-a-Million for graphic novels, I have only heard of it on the boards.
Old 04-04-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's just surprising that no other West Coast retailers sell that kind of overstuck stuff. It's pretty rare to see overstock trades out here.
I think Ollie's is more of a regional liquidation outlet. It looks like they're mostly located in the Southern states, with a few stores in the upper Midwest like Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. They have something like 400 stores, and not one is west of Texas.

Makes me think that it's a distribution thing; that maybe their suppliers are all on the east coast and they don't think it's profitable to haul freight past certain points; they have locations in TX and OK, but none in KS, NE, or anywhere directly north of there.

Makes me think they're getting all of these graphic novels and comic TPBs because of the locations of Diamond's distribution centers. It might have been more convenient to dump a bunch of this stuff off to Ollie's instead of places like Big Lots or Marshalls because they're closer to their warehouses.
Old 04-04-21, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think Ollie's is more of a regional liquidation outlet. It looks like they're mostly located in the Southern states, with a few stores in the upper Midwest like Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. They have something like 400 stores, and not one is west of Texas.

Makes me think that it's a distribution thing; that maybe their suppliers are all on the east coast and they don't think it's profitable to haul freight past certain points; they have locations in TX and OK, but none in KS, NE, or anywhere directly north of there.

Makes me think they're getting all of these graphic novels and comic TPBs because of the locations of Diamond's distribution centers. It might have been more convenient to dump a bunch of this stuff off to Ollie's instead of places like Big Lots or Marshalls because they're closer to their warehouses.
Maybe, but I wouldn't think that shipping them, at the buyer's expense, wouldn't be all that expensive (per book it might raise the retail price by a quarter or so).

It's just odd - there's a big market out here, but we're underrepresented for a lot of stuff.

On the other thand, we DO have In 'N' Out, so there's that...

(Although, to be honest, I'd rather have access to cheap TPB's on a regular basis than have In 'N' Out, but that's just me. )

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.