Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Old 03-07-22, 05:17 PM
  #351  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 333
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by Eric F
Next time I go to the Woonsocket store I’ll take a picture but their GN section is a mess.
what I posted was from Worcester. It was neat as a pin. I called around 2PM and reached someone restocking the graphic novels. She said that people had destroyed the graphic novel section and she was restocking. I got there around 6PM. I've never seen it that orderly. It's not crazy far from Woonsocket.
Old 03-07-22, 06:37 PM
  #352  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Somewhere in the boonies, MA
Posts: 10,147
Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter
what I posted was from Worcester. It was neat as a pin. I called around 2PM and reached someone restocking the graphic novels. She said that people had destroyed the graphic novel section and she was restocking. I got there around 6PM. I've never seen it that orderly. It's not crazy far from Woonsocket.
I'd end up paying more for gas than I would a book and I'd probably end up just buying snacks anyways.
Old 03-11-22, 08:04 PM
  #353  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 333
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Picked up Batman Eternal 2,3 and Joker Endgame hardcover. They also had Batman snyder volumes 2,5, and 6.
Old 03-15-22, 10:11 AM
  #354  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,797
Received 638 Likes on 426 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Almost bought two new-to-me-at-Ollie’s books last night.

One was a nice oversize hardcover The Annotated American Gods for only $7. Haven’t read the novel yet, but I like Gaiman, and annotated things.

The other was an absolutely huge edition of the ~2019 Marvel mini-series Monsters for only $16. Like two feet tall or more.

As much as I think I’d actually read these two, I thought of my unread shelves and boxes and rooms and put them back. For now…..
Old 03-15-22, 11:21 AM
  #355  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 333
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by Trevor
Almost bought two new-to-me-at-Ollieís books last night.

One was a nice oversize hardcover The Annotated American Gods for only $7. Havenít read the novel yet, but I like Gaiman, and annotated things.

The other was an absolutely huge edition of the ~2019 Marvel mini-series Monsters for only $16. Like two feet tall or more.

As much as I think Iíd actually read these two, I thought of my unread shelves and boxes and rooms and put them back. For nowÖ..
Big fan of over-sized books. I'll be looking for the Monsters book. Was it with the graphic novels? It'd be great if they started getting Gallery editions or better yet, Kirby is ... Mighty, Fantastic, Ditko is ... Amazing, Strange.
Old 03-15-22, 02:40 PM
  #356  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,797
Received 638 Likes on 426 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter
Big fan of over-sized books. I'll be looking for the Monsters book. Was it with the graphic novels? It'd be great if they started getting Gallery editions or better yet, Kirby is ... Mighty, Fantastic, Ditko is ... Amazing, Strange.
At my location it was separate from the comics/graphic novels, sorta the beginning of the books section at the very front of the store.
The following users liked this post:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-15-22)
Old 03-16-22, 07:58 AM
  #357  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,508
Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

One of the stores near me had that Monsters Unleashed book too, it was on some table shevles right next to the shelves that had all the other graphic novels. FTR, it's the same size as the Kirby Is Mighty, Ditko Is Amazing, etc. That same store also had 1 or 2 copies of Venom Gallery Edition.
The following users liked this post:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-16-22)
Old 03-17-22, 06:47 PM
  #358  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 333
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

went to the "good" ollie's, i.e. the one far away. Last time, I had luck with omnis. Today only batman Eternal volume 1 and some pop tarts.
Old 03-18-22, 01:18 AM
  #359  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Somewhere in the boonies, MA
Posts: 10,147
Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

I’m still tempted to go back to the Woonsocket store and pick up that hand painted Star Wars book. It was really quite nice. I think it was $8.
The following users liked this post:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-18-22)
Old 03-18-22, 07:47 AM
  #360  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 333
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by Eric F
Iím still tempted to go back to the Woonsocket store and pick up that hand painted Star Wars book. It was really quite nice. I think it was $8.
I would go. maybe they got restocked.
Old 03-27-22, 12:48 PM
  #361  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,135
Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Found:
Two volumes of the Annotated Sandman
Will Eisner : Champion Of The Graphic Novel
​​​​​Aquaman by Peter David: Book Two
The Silver Age Supergirl: Vol 1
The Silver Age Suicide Squad
Action Comics #1000 Deluxe Edition
Various 100 Page Comic Giants (Wal -Mart)
The following users liked this post:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-27-22)
Old 03-27-22, 01:12 PM
  #362  
DVD Talk Legend
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 13,499
Received 426 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
​​​​​Aquaman by Peter David: Book Two
That's a title that I want but can't even find at full price around here. (I'll end up buying it online...)

It really is odd that books like the ones Ollie's sells can't be found at discount prices (or sometimes at all) anywhere out West.

Does the comic industry hate the West Coast? I just don't get it.
Old 03-27-22, 02:28 PM
  #363  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,251
Received 766 Likes on 641 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by B5Erik
That's a title that I want but can't even find at full price around here. (I'll end up buying it online...)

It really is odd that books like the ones Ollie's sells can't be found at discount prices (or sometimes at all) anywhere out West.

Does the comic industry hate the West Coast? I just don't get it.
It's all dictated by warehouses and storage distribution. I know for the DC books Ollie's originally bought out two full eighteen-wheelers stuffed with inventory from I think New Jersey.
Old 03-27-22, 02:37 PM
  #364  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,135
Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's all dictated by warehouses and storage distribution. I know for the DC books Ollie's originally bought out two full eighteen-wheelers stuffed with inventory from I think New Jersey.
It's worth mentioning the 100 Page Giant DC Comics are in great condition, which is the opposite condition you could ever find them at Wally World. Also, at some of the Ollie stores, you can find the Sandman annotated books still wrapped in plastic.
Old 03-28-22, 04:39 PM
  #365  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,251
Received 766 Likes on 641 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Kind of big news for Ollie's shoppers. Sales have been lagging the past couple years and they are launching "redesigned" stores in a bid I guess to modernize more like Big Lots. Only a few locations are pegged at the moment but I expect they'll slowly remake many of their better locations.

One prominent mention in the new redesign is less emphasis and focus on carrying books of all kinds. So the chain may be moving away from a large book inventory.
Old 03-28-22, 06:59 PM
  #366  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 333
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Kind of big news for Ollie's shoppers. Sales have been lagging the past couple years and they are launching "redesigned" stores in a bid I guess to modernize more like Big Lots. Only a few locations are pegged at the moment but I expect they'll slowly remake many of their better locations.

One prominent mention in the new redesign is less emphasis and focus on carrying books of all kinds. So the chain may be moving away from a large book inventory.
Well that's a bummer. I guess it just means, I'll have to make more trips until the change.
Old 03-28-22, 08:16 PM
  #367  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 43,482
Received 2,585 Likes on 1,799 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
One prominent mention in the new redesign is less emphasis and focus on carrying books of all kinds. So the chain may be moving away from a large book inventory.
Can't say I'm surprised.

Most of the time, the books at these kinds of liquidation stores just sit ignored and untouched. They're nearly always a bunch of random remaindered stuff that was sold off out of warehouse by the pound or pallet. Every now and then you might find a gem in the pile, but most of the stuff is just a bunch of old junk. And I don't think the people shopping at places like Ollies and Big Lots are looking for books. Book buyers tend to have specific things in mind and, I think, generally prefer actual bookstores.

I would, however, wager that the all of the graphic novels probably sell better than a bunch of past-their-expiration-date celebrity biographies and old diet books, and might even draw some new people into the stores.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-28-22), John Pannozzi (04-02-22)
Old 03-28-22, 08:54 PM
  #368  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 14,020
Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Purchase the Annotated American Gods and Hawkman Archives Volume 2 ($8.99) at Ollie's yesterday.
The following users liked this post:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-28-22)
Old 03-28-22, 09:04 PM
  #369  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 322
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Scored Tony Stark Iron Man Omnibus today 👍 $29.99
The following users liked this post:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-28-22)
Old 03-28-22, 09:22 PM
  #370  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 333
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by Captsmee.00
Scored Tony Stark Iron Man Omnibus today 👍 $29.99
excellent score! did you see any Monsters Unleashed Monster Sized? They seem to be showing up from flippers online, hoping to score one at Ollie's.
Old 03-31-22, 09:24 PM
  #371  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,538
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

only new thing new i could see at Ollie's today was the Deadpool Beginnings Omni for 29.99. Store had maybe a dozen of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Axeramm:
Ishouldknowbetter (03-31-22), John Pannozzi (04-02-22)
Old 04-10-22, 04:30 PM
  #372  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,538
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

stopped by an Ollie's in Nashville before picking up some family at the airport. I may have overdone it a bit.

Action Comics 1000 Deluxe Edition HC
Superman Action Comics The OZ Effect Deluxe HC Lenticular
The Man of Steel HC (Bendis)
The Dark Knight Returns Batman Noir HC
The Dark Knight Strikes Again Batman Noir HC
Green Lantern Corps: Beware Their Power HC
Batgirl: To the Death vol 2
Aquaman: A celebration of 75 years HC
Swamp Thing The Bronze Age vol 1
Harley Quinn Rebirth Deluxe Ediction 1 HC
Flash: A celebration of 75 years HC
Batman Road to No Man's Land Vol 1 and 2
The Batman Adventures Mad Love Deluxe Edition HC
The Flash Silver Age Vol 2
Suicide Squad Silver Age
Supergirl Silver Age Vol 1
The following 4 users liked this post by Axeramm:
ddrknghtrtns (04-10-22), Ishouldknowbetter (04-11-22), John Pannozzi (04-11-22), PhantomStranger (04-11-22)
Old 04-11-22, 01:22 AM
  #373  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Somewhere in the boonies, MA
Posts: 10,147
Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by Axeramm
stopped by an Ollie's in Nashville before picking up some family at the airport. I may have overdone it a bit.

Action Comics 1000 Deluxe Edition HC
Superman Action Comics The OZ Effect Deluxe HC Lenticular
The Man of Steel HC (Bendis)
The Dark Knight Returns Batman Noir HC
The Dark Knight Strikes Again Batman Noir HC
Green Lantern Corps: Beware Their Power HC
Batgirl: To the Death vol 2
Aquaman: A celebration of 75 years HC
Swamp Thing The Bronze Age vol 1
Harley Quinn Rebirth Deluxe Ediction 1 HC
Flash: A celebration of 75 years HC
Batman Road to No Man's Land Vol 1 and 2
The Batman Adventures Mad Love Deluxe Edition HC
The Flash Silver Age Vol 2
Suicide Squad Silver Age
Supergirl Silver Age Vol 1
I hope you had a 15% off coupon.
Old 04-11-22, 03:21 PM
  #374  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,538
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

sadly the only coupon I had was good for 20% off one item which would have saved me maybe $2
Old 05-10-22, 12:42 PM
  #375  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 322
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Originally Posted by Ishouldknowbetter
excellent score! did you see any Monsters Unleashed Monster Sized? They seem to be showing up from flippers online, hoping to score one at Ollie's.
havenít seen anything new in weeks again now

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.