Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Old 01-11-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

The topic of The New Teen Titans brought up George Perez, and he was one of the big selling points to me back in 1980 to give that title a shot. I LOVED his artwork on both The Fantastic Four and The Avengers back in the 70's. I mentioned that he is one of my two favorite FF pencillers, along with Big John Buscema, and that got me to thinking...

Who are your favorite FF pencillers/artists?

My favorites, and to some this would constitue heresy, but my list would look like this...

1. George Perez
2. John Buscema
3. Rich Buckler
4. John Byrne

All with Joe Sinnott inking. To me, Joe Sinnott defined the look of the FF. Kirby's art didn't look great until Sinnott became his regular inker. John Buscema and Rich Buckler's styles are a bit rough when they ink their own work, but with Sinnott they look phenomenal. Like Romita inking Gil Kane (keeping all the detail and style, but polishing it up and smoothing out the rough/raw style), Sinnott helped make each of those artists the best they could be.

The heresy of that list should be obvious to anyone who is a fan of classic Fantastic Four. No Kirby. I like Kirby's art with Sinnott inking, but I don't love it. But I would be a fool to deny his impact or influence on most artists of the late 60's through the early 80's. As I noted, I do like his art with Joltin' Joe, but I'm not a huge fan.

Full disclosure, I haven't bought new comics since about 1999 or so. I'm a couple decades out of touch, but when I look through modern comics I'm not a big fan of most of the art. Some of it, sure, but most of it, no.

So who are your favorite FF artists?
Old 01-11-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Old 01-11-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To me it's Byrne, but it's really hard for me to separate his writing from his art. His art is stellar, but it was the writing that really won me over as a kid.

My dark horse in the modern era would be Waid and the late Mike Wieringo (also up there in my top Flash creator combos), even though Wieringo's tenure seems briefer than it was because of the ridiculous renumbering shenanigans. And Hickman and any artist.
Old 01-11-19, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
To me it's Byrne, but it's really hard for me to separate his writing from his art. His art is stellar, but it was the writing that really won me over as a kid.
Yeah, me too. Byrne's stint as writer/artist on FF during the 80's is a high-water mark for me, I was reading those issues as they were published back when I was a teenager and everything about them just blew me away. It was a very hard act to follow IMO.
Old 01-11-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

It would probably be

Kirby
Weiringo
Simonson
Old 01-11-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Byrne will always be my favorite artist, followed by the King.
Old 01-11-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is just great stuff...

No art team ever did The Thing better than Perez and Sinnott...

Last edited by B5Erik; 01-11-19 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 01:47 AM

I don't remember ever actually reading a whole Fantastic Four book. But I do remember my favorite comic book artist when I was a kid was Jim Lee. And I know he's drawn them a bit. So can I say Jim Lee? Jim Lee.

Of who you list there in the OP, B5Erik, I'd had to go with John Buscema. He's a reliable, pleasing penciler and a classic for a reason.
Old 01-12-19, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by story View Post
Of who you list there in the OP, B5Erik, I'd had to go with John Buscema. He's a reliable, pleasing penciler and a classic for a reason.
Oh, yeah. He was great - especially when paired with Sinnott. With Perez and Buscema it's almost interchangeable (they're both so good). It's a shame that big John died when he did. He still had a lot more comics left in him. His little brother is still around, and he's one of my favorite Hulk artists (and a darned good Spider-Man artist, too).
Old 01-12-19, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
The topic of The New Teen Titans brought up George Perez, and he was one of the big selling points to me back in 1980 to give that title a shot. I LOVED his artwork on both The Fantastic Four and The Avengers back in the 70's. I mentioned that he is one of my two favorite FF pencillers, along with Big John Buscema, and that got me to thinking...

Who are your favorite FF pencillers/artists?

My favorites, and to some this would constitue heresy, but my list would look like this...

1. George Perez
2. John Buscema
3. Rich Buckler
4. John Byrne

All with Joe Sinnott inking. To me, Joe Sinnott defined the look of the FF. Kirby's art didn't look great until Sinnott became his regular inker. John Buscema and Rich Buckler's styles are a bit rough when they ink their own work, but with Sinnott they look phenomenal. Like Romita inking Gil Kane (keeping all the detail and style, but polishing it up and smoothing out the rough/raw style), Sinnott helped make each of those artists the best they could be.

The heresy of that list should be obvious to anyone who is a fan of classic Fantastic Four. No Kirby. I like Kirby's art with Sinnott inking, but I don't love it. But I would be a fool to deny his impact or influence on most artists of the late 60's through the early 80's. As I noted, I do like his art with Joltin' Joe, but I'm not a huge fan.

Full disclosure, I haven't bought new comics since about 1999 or so. I'm a couple decades out of touch, but when I look through modern comics I'm not a big fan of most of the art. Some of it, sure, but most of it, no.

So who are your favorite FF artists?
Kirby
Perez
BucklerI agree about Sinnott. The F.F and Kirby really took off with his first issue #44, which began the Inhumans/Galactus story. I still believe that F.F. 44-93 are the 50 best books ever printed. There were a few covers from earlier issues that are as good as what was to come. #29 (It Started on Yancy Street) stands out.
The Keith Pollard issues following Perez are pretty good too.
Old 01-12-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was a Kirby agnostic growing up, but mostly because I had never actually read most of his work. Over the last couple of years I've been catching up and now I can't even fathom any answer to this question other than Kirby. Sure his art didn't hit its peak until Sinnott came aboard, but why should that matter? That still leaves us with 50 issues of perfection. Not that the other 40+ are anything to sneeze at. Except maybe the Colletta issues. Sneeze away at those.

1. Kirby
2. Byrne
3. Wieringo
4. Perez
Old 01-14-19, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not difficult for me at all:
1. Kirby
2. Byrne (not inked by Sinnott. Though I LOVE Joltin' Joe, for some reason I didn't like him on top of Byrne)
3. Buscema
4. Perez
5. Epting (thought I'd add a more modern artist into the mix as well)
Old 01-14-19, 08:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Kirby of course, but there have been some darn fine runs of FF over the decades.
Old 01-14-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably Byrne, then Kirby.