Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Old 01-11-19, 06:21 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,022
Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

The topic of The New Teen Titans brought up George Perez, and he was one of the big selling points to me back in 1980 to give that title a shot. I LOVED his artwork on both The Fantastic Four and The Avengers back in the 70's. I mentioned that he is one of my two favorite FF pencillers, along with Big John Buscema, and that got me to thinking...

Who are your favorite FF pencillers/artists?

My favorites, and to some this would constitue heresy, but my list would look like this...

1. George Perez
2. John Buscema
3. Rich Buckler
4. John Byrne

All with Joe Sinnott inking. To me, Joe Sinnott defined the look of the FF. Kirby's art didn't look great until Sinnott became his regular inker. John Buscema and Rich Buckler's styles are a bit rough when they ink their own work, but with Sinnott they look phenomenal. Like Romita inking Gil Kane (keeping all the detail and style, but polishing it up and smoothing out the rough/raw style), Sinnott helped make each of those artists the best they could be.

The heresy of that list should be obvious to anyone who is a fan of classic Fantastic Four. No Kirby. I like Kirby's art with Sinnott inking, but I don't love it. But I would be a fool to deny his impact or influence on most artists of the late 60's through the early 80's. As I noted, I do like his art with Joltin' Joe, but I'm not a huge fan.


Full disclosure, I haven't bought new comics since about 1999 or so. I'm a couple decades out of touch, but when I look through modern comics I'm not a big fan of most of the art. Some of it, sure, but most of it, no.

So who are your favorite FF artists?
B5Erik is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 06:25 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,022
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

B5Erik is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 06:53 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,503
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

To me it's Byrne, but it's really hard for me to separate his writing from his art. His art is stellar, but it was the writing that really won me over as a kid.

My dark horse in the modern era would be Waid and the late Mike Wieringo (also up there in my top Flash creator combos), even though Wieringo's tenure seems briefer than it was because of the ridiculous renumbering shenanigans. And Hickman and any artist.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 08:34 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,367
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
To me it's Byrne, but it's really hard for me to separate his writing from his art. His art is stellar, but it was the writing that really won me over as a kid.
Yeah, me too. Byrne's stint as writer/artist on FF during the 80's is a high-water mark for me, I was reading those issues as they were published back when I was a teenager and everything about them just blew me away. It was a very hard act to follow IMO.
cultshock is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 08:40 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,960
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

It would probably be

Kirby
Weiringo
Simonson
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 08:54 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,783
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Byrne will always be my favorite artist, followed by the King.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 09:58 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,022
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

This is just great stuff...


No art team ever did The Thing better than Perez and Sinnott...

Last edited by B5Erik; 01-11-19 at 10:07 PM.
B5Erik is offline  
Old 01-12-19, 12:47 AM
  #8  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 8,672
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

I don't remember ever actually reading a whole Fantastic Four book. But I do remember my favorite comic book artist when I was a kid was Jim Lee. And I know he's drawn them a bit. So can I say Jim Lee? Jim Lee.

Of who you list there in the OP, B5Erik, I'd had to go with John Buscema. He's a reliable, pleasing penciler and a classic for a reason.
story is offline  
Old 01-12-19, 12:58 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,022
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Originally Posted by story View Post
Of who you list there in the OP, B5Erik, I'd had to go with John Buscema. He's a reliable, pleasing penciler and a classic for a reason.
Oh, yeah. He was great - especially when paired with Sinnott. With Perez and Buscema it's almost interchangeable (they're both so good). It's a shame that big John died when he did. He still had a lot more comics left in him. His little brother is still around, and he's one of my favorite Hulk artists (and a darned good Spider-Man artist, too).
B5Erik is offline  
Old 01-12-19, 06:43 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,577
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
The topic of The New Teen Titans brought up George Perez, and he was one of the big selling points to me back in 1980 to give that title a shot. I LOVED his artwork on both The Fantastic Four and The Avengers back in the 70's. I mentioned that he is one of my two favorite FF pencillers, along with Big John Buscema, and that got me to thinking...

Who are your favorite FF pencillers/artists?

My favorites, and to some this would constitue heresy, but my list would look like this...

1. George Perez
2. John Buscema
3. Rich Buckler
4. John Byrne

All with Joe Sinnott inking. To me, Joe Sinnott defined the look of the FF. Kirby's art didn't look great until Sinnott became his regular inker. John Buscema and Rich Buckler's styles are a bit rough when they ink their own work, but with Sinnott they look phenomenal. Like Romita inking Gil Kane (keeping all the detail and style, but polishing it up and smoothing out the rough/raw style), Sinnott helped make each of those artists the best they could be.

The heresy of that list should be obvious to anyone who is a fan of classic Fantastic Four. No Kirby. I like Kirby's art with Sinnott inking, but I don't love it. But I would be a fool to deny his impact or influence on most artists of the late 60's through the early 80's. As I noted, I do like his art with Joltin' Joe, but I'm not a huge fan.


Full disclosure, I haven't bought new comics since about 1999 or so. I'm a couple decades out of touch, but when I look through modern comics I'm not a big fan of most of the art. Some of it, sure, but most of it, no.

So who are your favorite FF artists?
Kirby
Perez
BucklerI agree about Sinnott. The F.F and Kirby really took off with his first issue #44, which began the Inhumans/Galactus story. I still believe that F.F. 44-93 are the 50 best books ever printed. There were a few covers from earlier issues that are as good as what was to come. #29 (It Started on Yancy Street) stands out.
The Keith Pollard issues following Perez are pretty good too.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 01-12-19, 07:13 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,198
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

I was a Kirby agnostic growing up, but mostly because I had never actually read most of his work. Over the last couple of years I've been catching up and now I can't even fathom any answer to this question other than Kirby. Sure his art didn't hit its peak until Sinnott came aboard, but why should that matter? That still leaves us with 50 issues of perfection. Not that the other 40+ are anything to sneeze at. Except maybe the Colletta issues. Sneeze away at those.

1. Kirby
2. Byrne
3. Wieringo
4. Perez
rocket1312 is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 06:52 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,135
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Not difficult for me at all:
1. Kirby
2. Byrne (not inked by Sinnott. Though I LOVE Joltin' Joe, for some reason I didn't like him on top of Byrne)
3. Buscema
4. Perez
5. Epting (thought I'd add a more modern artist into the mix as well)
ytrez is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 07:16 AM
  #13  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,616
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Kirby of course, but there have been some darn fine runs of FF over the decades.
Trevor is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 02:23 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,870
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Probably Byrne, then Kirby.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 01-20-19, 09:19 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 6,341
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

I cross posted this in the NTT Omnibus thread, but since GP is the OP's fave, might as well post it here too

George Perez formally announces his retirement

With respect to future published work in comics and such,” the artist writes, “While I know it’s been no secret that I’ve been dealing with a myriad number of health issues (diabetes, heart ailments, vision issues, etc.), they have indeed have [sic] forced me to, for all intents and purposes, formally retire from the business of creating new comic stories.”

Pérez goes on to announce he will no longer be completing commissions, and that 2019 will be his final year making a full slate of convention appearances, though he will continue to annually attend DragonCon and FetishCon. The note is as gracious an exit as one would expect from Pérez, who has always come across as one of the most humble talents in comics. He closes the letter reflectively: “I’ve had a wonderfully good run doing exactly what I have wanted to do since I was a child. Now I can sit back and watch the stuff I helped create entertain whole new generations. That’s a pretty nice legacy to look back on.
Paul_SD is offline  
Old 01-21-19, 12:19 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
B5Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,022
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
I cross posted this in the NTT Omnibus thread, but since GP is the OP's fave, might as well post it here too

George Perez formally announces his retirement
Well, time IS a bitch, and it catches up with all of us. George had a great career and I'm glad he did as much as he did. I would have preferred another 20 issues of the FF with him doing the pencil work, but the issues he did were great. That was the era when I first started buying comics, and he really spoiled me. He was perfect for the FF (and for the Avengers & New Teen Titans, too).
B5Erik is offline  
Old 01-21-19, 03:37 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,876
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

Perez is top 3 or 5 comic artist of all time for me.

And don't forget his run on Wonder Woman, with an amazing volume 1 Omnibus where Perez does the art (he wrote the other volumes, but no art).
slop101 is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 11:43 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,503
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

He was a machine, too. Super prolific, and I mainly associate him with panels just jam packed with characters. I'm so glad that he finally got to complete the JLA/Avengers crossover that he began penciling in '81(!). Also while I liked his initial Avengers run, him coming back to do Avengers with Busiek for an entire run was incredible.
fujishig is offline  
Old 01-30-19, 01:34 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,454
Re: Your Favorite Fantastic Four Penciller/Artist

I liked John Byrne's are since was when I was reading it as it cam out on the stands. Only had a few back issues of Perez's art but I really like his as well. I really miss he way the Thing used to look back in the 1970's and 80's. No modern artist seems to draw him as well anymore. They never get the ridge on his head right any more and the colorists use much less black shadowing on and in between all the different rocks . Also the coloring of the modern FF doesn't look as good. The old blue color of the costumes just really stood out especially on the covers. The newer arwork for them seem to have much duller colors and the artwork looks computer generated.
movieguru is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.