Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

New Teen Titans Omnibus 1-3

Old 01-09-19, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New Teen Titans Omnibus 1-3

So I bought a dozen or so issues of The New Teen Titans back in the early 80's, and really liked the comic - but I kind of lost track of it around issue 20 or 25. Being a Marvel guy, getting caught up on a DC title (even one written and drawn by former Marvel guys) wasn't a priority.

But when I saw the New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol 1 I kind of wanted to go back and re-read it. I remembered liking the comic, and I liked almost all of Marv Wolfman and George Perez' work at Marvel, so I bought it.

And DAMN, but I loved it! The storytelling was remarkably adult for a comic about 18 & 19 year olds. I blew through the omnibus in 3 days. So I ordered Vol 2. Blew through that one in 2 days. And I just ordered Vol. 3, which has The Judas Contract, which is supposed to be the highlight of the entire run. I've seen the cartoon version from the series (not the animated movie version - yet), but by the time that came out I was out of the Teen Titans game. My loss.

But how cool are these Omnibuses? 2 to 3 dozen comics in one book? BRILLIANT!

It's nice to see that I was right 38 years ago - The New Teen Titans is excellent and holds up remarkably well. I understand that the comic has been rebooted or reworked a few times since then, but they got it right with the first preview comic and kept up the quality from there.

Last edited by B5Erik; 01-09-19 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: New Teen Titans Omnibus 1-3

Yeah, this was probably my favorite ongoing title in the 80's. My introduction to the series was at the start of the Starfire/Blackfire storyline. I was hooked from the moment I saw that BDSM cover, and the title just got better and better till Perez left. I completely lost track of it after the big COIE event.

It's a shame that most people now won't get to experience the Terra storyline unspoiled, but that's how it goes. I wasn't following X-men when the whole Phoenix saga played out and I can just imagine how mind blowing that one would have been to see unfold slowly, month by month. And like that Byrne run on that title, the first three volumes of NTT contain the comic book material I most repurchased in my life. I'm expecting these omni's will be the last time I rebuy this stuff.

The Omnibus collections are great to me in theory, and I've bought a bunch over the last few years (just ordered House Of Mystery yesterday as a matter of fact). However most of them, when they run over 700 pages, start getting a little too unwieldy. Much more comfortable for me is to kick back with a 400 page Epic or DC "Age" trade, than to hold open a 800+ page hardcover. The NTT ones are fortunately an excellent size though, straddling the line between being thin enough to be comfortable while still being generous enough in presenting a satisfying chunk of the run in each volume.

Though I lost interest and bailed on the series after the Terra storyline wrapped up, I'm looking forward to getting Volume 4 in a few months and reading this stuff fresh. I have had the short Jose Garcia-Lopez run of issues, but other than that the majority of Volume 4 is going to be all new to me.

As someone whose also a fan of statues, I ordered Raven, Starfire, and Deathstroke in this line last year. They're supposed to be shipping sometime in the next couple months.
While they're a much smaller scale than I'd like, they're the only NTT ones I've seen that truly capture Perez's style in three dimensions.

Spoiler:

Old 01-09-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was a very selective comic collector back in the 80's, almost entirely for two specific artists: John Byrne and George Perez. Outside of school art teachers and my parents (passive doodlers with talent that just weren't encouraged as careers in their era), those two really taught me to draw. You can plainly see their influence in a lot of my home-made wannabe teenage comic doodling from back then, and the love for their work was one factor that led me into a lifelong career (so far) in graphic design, albeit with only minor dabblings in illustration here and there. If these guys drew it, though, I bought it, along with (very) sporadic books and one-offs by a few other artists of the era who really stood out to these eyes for their entirely unique styles (Simonson, Miller, A. Adams, Sienkiewicz, Windsor-Smith, a couple of others). Byrne had a more defined style from the get-go of his career, but got sloppy/lazy as he aged (stuff from the last decade or two looks like he just draws in ink without pencilling layouts anymore). Perez took a while to find his style (thus most of his early stuff never interested me) but he's maintained it to this day. I never got my hands on their complete career outputs, nor would I ever want them, but I did get nearly everything they did while I was in the hobby and that was the peak of both of their careers (I tapped out with the arrival of Image and avoided that whole decline). Storytelling was secondary, even though it was often great. If Perez or Byrne skipped drawing an issue, so did I, even if they wrote the stories or did layouts that some other hack did finished pencils on. My entire comics collection never totaled more than about 3.5 boxes and I whittled that down to about one box late-90's, all Byrne/Perez "highlights". And then the Omnibuses came, so out went those remainders in short order. I think I've got all the Omnibus books dedicated to these guys that are available so far. Nothing else.

I agree the Omnibus books are heavy unwieldy, but I like their completeness and generally stellar print quality, and at this point in life, I only really want them to occasionally pull from the shelf and thumb through for a creative boost without having to rummage through musty old boxes and bags I barely bothered with for ages.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-09-19 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Are the DC omniboo improved in quality now? I remember when the first NTT omnibus came out, it had some pretty bad binding issues. Plus the pricing isn't great considering that all but maybe the first few issues could probably be had for dirt cheap.

But yeah, incredibly adult storytelling. Terra/Deathstroke, Brother Blood, the whole saga on Tamaran, etc. Just brutal stuff. I remember reading the story of what happened to the Dial H for Hero kids. And Perez's art is timeless, EXCEPT for the character designs. I didn't like the undershirt and garter belt look for Cyborg as a kid, either, so it's not just the times.
Old 01-09-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Are the DC omniboo improved in quality now? I remember when the first NTT omnibus came out, it had some pretty bad binding issues. Plus the pricing isn't great considering that all but maybe the first few issues could probably be had for dirt cheap.
My NTT Omnibus editions are the originals and I've had no problems, but this is undoubtedly because I don't shelve them upright and I only skim through them very occasionally for a quick fix. Perez's Wonder Woman Omnibus seemed to have decent binding, as did the recent John Byrne DC Universe Omni (though that's not a very thick book anyway), but I'm no expert in such matters. Still, I much prefer them over dozens of individual books of inconsistent paper/print quality, varying condition, etc., even if those might be dirt cheap to find nowadays.
Old 01-09-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New Teen Titans was DC's best-selling book during its heyday and as popular as the X-Men. They've since reprinted these three omnibuses and supposedly fixed the minor issues. Many complained about the ordering of issues in the original volume 2 or 3, I can't remember.

I believe a fourth volume is finally coming out to complete the book's entire run.
Old 01-09-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans was ICONIC. I was there for issue one and stuck with the title for about the next 13 or 14 years (Wolfman completely lost it by then, although the quality of his writing started slipping around 1986). It still holds up as some of the finest ongoing superhero comic storytelling ever.
Old 01-09-19, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

But yeah, incredibly adult storytelling. Terra/Deathstroke, Brother Blood, the whole saga on Tamaran, etc. Just brutal stuff. I remember reading the story of what happened to the Dial H for Hero kids. And Perez's art is timeless, EXCEPT for the character designs. I didn't like the undershirt and garter belt look for Cyborg as a kid, either, so it's not just the times.
The original first two volumes had glued binding, which resulted in an inability for the books to lay open flat like the Marvel Omni's. The binding was so tight, it was hard to even keep them open fully. If you actually wanted to read them, you pretty much had to have one hand pressed down on the center spine to keep the pages spread out.

The original volume two also left out one issue (the Donna Troy centric one in the midst of the Judas Contract issues) while having the JC storyline more or less complete in that volume. It also still used several splash pages whose digital files had been resized and distorted (stretched). Those distorted pages show up in several reprint collections (HC, TPB, etc) and are all from the Starfire/Blackfire story run.
There are also some reworked title and credit blocks sprinkled thru the JC part that are not well done. They were originally integrated in the art in a more graphically pleasing way.

Everything except for the title/credit blocks has been greatly improved in the new volumes. The title/credits, IIRC, are a little better but still not exactly the way they should be based on the original comic pages.

One point about DC omni's in general- while the binding has been much improved over some of the earlier volumes as well as other HCs they put out, they still aren't as good as the large Marvel books.
The book blocks on all my DC omni's have started to sag and separate more from the spine. I've taken to alternately shelving them upside down so this separation will even out, but for long term integrity, once I've read the content or am not going to be perusing them for a while, they will get stored horizontally or spine down.
Old 01-10-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All my DC omnibuses get laid out flat for storage.
Old 01-11-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got Marvel's Omnibuses for The Amazing Spider-Man (1-3), and I was really excited to see that a 4th volume is coming out in June. That's some of my favorite stuff! If they get to a Volume 6 then I can get rid of all my ASM comics (with a few exceptions - I can't get rid of ASM 32 & 33, 76 & 77, etc, but most of them will go, especially considering many are old Marvel Tales reprints) and then I can just shelve the omnibus books and cut down on the number of boxes taking up closet space! I much prefer the omnibus books to having to unstack my comic boxes and thumb through them to find the issues I want to re-read.

And these Teen Titans books are just phenomenal. I've got the 2nd printing on the first two, and I'm assuming the most recent version of volume 3. I have zero complaints about layout or binding, but I've only had them for a couple weeks.

I skipped more issues of NTT than I bought back in the day, and that's my loss. I wasn't as much anti-DC as I was pro-Marvel, so I prioritized my purchases accordingly. Now, in my late middle age, I'm finding a renewed interest in 1970's DC comics. I may get the omnibus of The Brave and the Bold (Vol 2) as I really like Jim Aparo's art, and the couple of comics from that era that I read (one with the Man Bat, especially) were pretty good.

If there's a Volume 4 for The New Teen Titans ominbus series I may have to check that one out. I have no idea of the quality of the stories there, or how far George Perez got in that series, but if it's as good as the other volumes I'll probably get it.

As for Perez himself, I LOVED his art on The Fantastic Four and The Avengers. Joe Sinnott's inks worked really well with Perez' pencil style. In fact, Perez is probably by #1 or #2 FF penciller (him and Big John Buscema being the top 2). I just wish Perez did a couple more years on that title. But then he may not have done The New Teen Titans, so maybe it worked out for the best, anyway.
Old 01-13-19, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was in on NTT from the beginning, though I stopped reading comics altogether halfway through the ‘80s. I’ve picked up one of the omniboo and much of the run in TPB and digital.

i was also a Legion of Superheroes fan at the time, and I was annoyed that the Marvel-DC crossover with the X-Men was switched from the Legion to NTT because they were so hot. IIRC that was a regular-sized (though thick) book, not the treasury-sized that some of the earlier crossovers had used.
Old 01-13-19, 07:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

DC Comics in the 1984-1987 range will never be topped. Swamp Thing, Batman Year One, Watchmen, New Teen Titans, Crisis, The Dark Knight.

It’s interesting how Marvel outsells DC almost every year since what, the 1970s, but doesn’t really have any evergreen titles.
Old 01-13-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
DC Comics in the 1984-1987 range will never be topped. Swamp Thing, Batman Year One, Watchmen, New Teen Titans, Crisis, The Dark Knight.

It’s interesting how Marvel outsells DC almost every year since what, the 1970s, but doesn’t really have any evergreen titles.
Sandman, Hellblazer, Animal Man, the early Justice League International, Legion of Super-Heroes...

So many outstanding titles.
Old 01-14-19, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It shows up in trade sales. Apparently DC creams Marvel in trade sales outside the comic book market, like book stores.
Old 01-20-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not entirely unexpected given his recent health issues and more than well earned.
While he's not my favorite, I've always loved his work and his output and work ethic have always left me in awe.

George Pérez Announces his Retirement from Comics

“With respect to future published work in comics and such,” the artist writes, “While I know it’s been no secret that I’ve been dealing with a myriad number of health issues (diabetes, heart ailments, vision issues, etc.), they have indeed have [sic] forced me to, for all intents and purposes, formally retire from the business of creating new comic stories.”

Pérez goes on to announce he will no longer be completing commissions, and that 2019 will be his final year making a full slate of convention appearances, though he will continue to annually attend DragonCon and FetishCon. The note is as gracious an exit as one would expect from Pérez, who has always come across as one of the most humble talents in comics. He closes the letter reflectively: “I’ve had a wonderfully good run doing exactly what I have wanted to do since I was a child. Now I can sit back and watch the stuff I helped create entertain whole new generations. That’s a pretty nice legacy to look back on.”