Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Best of 2018 (physical and digital, monthly and collected)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 12-26-18, 12:26 PM

Here are mine --
hit me up with questions \ comments \ etc!
I'm sure I must've forgot stuff so I am looking forward to reading yours.

Title (amazon link) comments
[ covers ]

Star Wars, the new canon ruled the year again. Marvel did some awesome crossover between the two eras using Mon Cala which you should definitely read.

Tom King's epic Batman run continues through another year and remains just as strong. I now can solidly declare it superior to Scott Snyder's since I did not care for Dark Knights Metal.

Thanos Wins -- get your fix after seeing Infinity War by finishing this great trilogy

Then follow it up by the most unexpected Punisher story you've ever read

Speaking of great Punisher stories, how about one where he steals War Machine's armor

Switching gears, The Highest House by Mike Carey and Peter Gross. I was obsessed with this historical fantasy comic. The individual physical issues were oversized to really show off the art.

Britannia: Lost Eagles of Rome is the third volume of this series by Peter Milligan. I've really enjoyed the whole trilogy but this might be my favorite of the three. The detective heads to Egypt!

Amy Chu's run on Red Sonja continues, and remains my favorite Red Sonja to date. Especially the issues drawn by Carlos Gomez who I will now follow to any book he works on. (Not pictured below, as the covers were by other artists). Amy also writes Dejah Thoris which I recommend as well.

Judas was so moving. If I was a Christian this would be my favorite comic ever. The art is incredible and unique.

Maestros is funny fantasy at its best. I can't believe a single person both writes and draws this super detailed book. Highly recommended!

Judge Dredd: Under Siege is like the Dredd movie in reverse. Instead of storming a citadel, he has holed up in one during an onslaught. A great done-in-one volume.

Doctor Star & The Kingdom of Lost Tomorrows: From the World of Black Hammer is a Jeff Lemire comic that grabs your heart. You don't need to know anything going in as long as you are familiar with Green Lantern in general.

And as for the actual Green Lantern, any fans of his\theirs or Superman fans need to check out when they encounter the Zod family!

The reboot of Dan Dare by Peter Milligan is also a must-read for any fans of Green Lantern, or pulp sci-fi adventure.

G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Volume 21 was a self contained story with a bunch of one-shots about various team members by Larry Hama himself, good stuff.

Koshchei the Deathless is a Hellboy spin-off that was really well done. It doesn't require any prior knowledge and if you like gothic stuff you should check it out.

Shanghai Red was a new Image comic about women, revenge, and pirates! Rad dark art sets the mood.

Frank Cho wrote and drew a killer original called Skybourne. Remember Lazarus from the Bible? Would his children be different than regular humans due to what happened to him?

Angelic by Simon Spurrier takes some time to get the hang of due to how unique the dialogue is, but the gorgeous art will help and then you'll be way into it. What happens to all our animals after humans wipe themselves out?

Isola is a wonderful new book from Image, about a soldier protecting her Queen. This volume ends on a cliffhanger FYI.

The DC Black Label began this year, and the debut was Batman: White Knight written and drawn by Sean Murphy. It's a great book, and worth it for the batmobiles alone.

Jeff Lemire also did a complete run on Bloodshot Salvation, which kicked butt.

Mr. & Mrs. X is a fun book for old-school fans of the X-Men couple Rogue and Gambit. Some action, some romance, worth your time.

Star Trek New Visions by John Byrne always makes this list. He is prolific as hell with TOS!

Dr. Horrible returned with Best Friends Forever by Joss Whedon!

Alright I am stopping at 25 even though the list I made of stuff I read this year is over three times that...

What were your faves?

~dishpan

PS: Here are our threads from previous years

Old 12-26-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Best of 2018 (physical and digital, monthly and collected)

King's Batman run seems to have become incredibly polarizing, with most either loving or hating it. I just can't agree with how the run-up to and wedding were handled, especially in an era of decompressed storytelling that takes two years for anything significant to happen.
Old 12-26-18, 06:26 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Always enjoy your posts dishpan! But, as always, I’m usually about a decade behind. But many of these are in my “to read” mountains!
Old 12-27-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like Dishpan's shelf layout.
Old 12-27-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best comic book collection of 2018 HAS to be Silver Surfer Omnibus by Slott & Allred

Old 12-27-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always enjoy the recaps. While my schedule is mostly like Trevor's, I do read a few new things, including the main Star Wars line and some of the peripherals. I've been reading Kill or Be Killed but have fallen behind--same with Saga and the Walking Dead. I did do a big binge of Lazarus thinking it was complete, but it wasn't.

I've been meaning to dive into the Batman/Detective Rebirth series. I like the look of Skyborne, and didn't know there was a new Dr Horrible, so I'll probably get those while they're on sale. I had never heard of the Byrne Trek thing, but it's on Comixology Unlimited so I'll check it out.
Old 12-27-18, 05:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

The first couple issues of Judas are on CU too. Waiting until January to read for Challenge credit
Old 12-28-18, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Best comic book collection of 2018 HAS to be Silver Surfer Omnibus by Slott & Allred

This series was so great, I'm really glad people are reading it. It out-"Doctor Who'd" Doctor Who for me since it is a lot less British. Good call!

In regards to new collections of previously released material, I am partial to the Galactus book that Marvel put out. I already loved the character and it is so crazy to see a book this large -- as he deserves!

Old 12-28-18, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I've been reading Kill or Be Killed but have fallen behind--same with Saga and the Walking Dead. I did do a big binge of Lazarus thinking it was complete, but it wasn't.

Brubaker and Phillips did complete Kill Or Be Killed this year, and it's worth finishing if you liked the parts you read.

I read those other three titles this year as well and enjoyed them.
Old 12-28-18, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm eight issues into Kill or Be Killed, and I have 20 purchased (I started with singles so I've continued). I definitely want to continue, as I do with TWD, but Saga was starting to lose me a bit. I've been keeping up with purchases so I don't really have an excuse for not reading other than time.

I love the look of that Galactus volume but am trying to reduce physically large-size purchases.

And darn it, I thought I had that Allred/Slott already (Allred-y?), but it was just an Epic with similar cover art. Now I'll have to think about getting it during the comixology sale. Is #1-15 a complete run?

Old 12-28-18, 12:25 PM

Is #1-15 a complete run?
Negative. You'd think so, but Marvel re-started the numbering partway through the run due to whatever line-wide relaunch was that year.

You are looking for
SILVER SURFER (2014) 1-15
ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! POINT ONE 1
SILVER SURFER (2016) 1-14
Old 12-28-18, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
Negative. You'd think so, but Marvel re-started the numbering partway through the run due to whatever line-wide relaunch was that year.

You are looking for
SILVER SURFER (2014) 1-15
ALL-NEW MARVEL NOW! POINT ONE 1
SILVER SURFER (2016) 1-14
Nuts. But I guess I asked a dumb question because I had already checked the Omnibus contents, and it clearly listed the 2016 as well. Comixology is kind of confusing but I guess mostly helpful because it lists the 2014 series as volumes 1-3, then the 2016 series is numbered 4-5, which is confusing by itself but makes sense in light of the whole arc. And it looks like I already own Point One #1--it must've been free at some point so I added it like a mindless drone.
Old 12-28-18, 12:40 PM

Comixology is kind of confusing but I guess mostly helpful because it lists the 2014 series as volumes 1-3, then the 2016 series is numbered 4-5, which is confusing by itself but makes sense in light of the whole arc.
I didn't realize comixology did that, it seems useful actually. I wonder if Marvel Unlimited also did that or amazon just went rogue.

I am thinking of switching to digital this year (due to lack of space) if you have any tips. I'll still get special hardcovers and artist editions etc but for week to week I want to use my tablet.

Anyone here read 2000AD electronically? If so I have questions. Thanks
Old 12-28-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And darn it, I thought I had that Allred/Slott already (Allred-y?), but it was just an Epic with similar cover art. Now I'll have to think about getting it during the comixology sale. Is #1-15 a complete run?
No, for the entire run, you'll want the Omnibus I posted above, which came out less than a month ago.
Old 12-29-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I’ve been way behind in reading this year due to grad school. Kill or Be Killed has been great, and I finished this book that I got for Christmas yesterday.

Old 12-29-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
I am thinking of switching to digital this year (due to lack of space) if you have any tips. I'll still get special hardcovers and artist editions etc but for week to week I want to use my tablet.
My strategy was to start slowly, picking up free issues at first then actually reading once I got my ipad. I started buying new releases digitally instead of physically and keeping an eye out for sales. If you want to buy new stuff at time of release, that's great, but if you can wait, the major releases eventually go on sale for 50-75% off. The larger sales will usually omit titles that have been released in the last few months.

Some people freak out about the thought of replacing their whole collections, but that's really not necessary. Once I got used to the reading and navigation experiences, I started getting some favorites as they went on sale. The convenience is great, and I liked having those favorites available digitally when I went on vacation and such. In some cases, I dumped my physical copy, but others I kept just because I like still having them. At any rate, it was a win for my storage because my physical collection stopped growing at a high rate, and I've even been able to reduce it a bit. (I still buy physical copies of classic comic strips or European titles that aren't available digitally.)
Old 12-29-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone consider Doomsday Clock? I realize it hasn't all come out yet and the plot has been slow to develop so far.
Old 12-31-18, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I finished this book that I got for Christmas yesterday.
I had seen that advertised and thought it looked hilarious!
Old 12-31-18, 09:24 AM

At any rate, it was a win for my storage because my physical collection stopped growing at a high rate, and I've even been able to reduce it a bit.
I appreciate all the advice! This is essentially what my plan will be as well. I'm going to try DC Universe even though I don't care about watching their shows, just because I'm hoping there will be a DC Unlimited type service someday.
Old 12-31-18, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Anyone consider Doomsday Clock? I realize it hasn't all come out yet and the plot has been slow to develop so far.
I haven't yet, I am waiting for either a deluxe hardcover or absolute edition, something oversized. I read that DC #0 or whatever it was called when Geoff Johns kicked this story off and I loved it (I'm a huge fan of his, and Superman, and Dr Manhattan -- I even liked Before Watchmen) so it's like this comic is designed for me. But even though I like Gary Frank art a lot, I knew that would mean it would take forever to come out and finish, so I never even picked up the first issue and just decided to try and avoid spoilers for ages. Maybe it will show up on my list next year =).
Old 01-15-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great thread. I always enjoy it and the recommendations. I don't really follow monthlies. I basically buy a stack of graphic novels from Amazon and burn through them, rinse & repeat.

The stuff I enjoyed this year was:

Black Hammer
Gideon Falls
Royal City
Descender
East Of West
The Walking Dead (still)
Paper Girls

I've also had the Buffy Season 8 Omnibus's on my shelf for years which I finally cracked open. Still on volume 1 but its great so far.
Old 01-15-19, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by starseed1981 View Post
Great thread. I always enjoy it and the recommendations. I don't really follow monthlies. I basically buy a stack of graphic novels from Amazon and burn through them, rinse & repeat.

The stuff I enjoyed this year was:

Black Hammer
Gideon Falls
Royal City
Descender
East Of West
The Walking Dead (still)
Paper Girls

I've also had the Buffy Season 8 Omnibus's on my shelf for years which I finally cracked open. Still on volume 1 but its great so far.
Thanks for the reply! You really went on a Lemire tear last year -- which was your fave?
Old 01-15-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, you're totally right! I didn't even realize that until you mentioned it LOL. I'm really into the whole Black Hammer universe right now.
Old 01-16-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also forgot about Harrow County, which I discovered this year and am crazy about.