Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Russ Heath Passes Away at 91

Old 08-24-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

By George Marston, Newsarama Contributor August 24, 2018 08:36am ET

The family of Russ Heath has confirmed the comic book legend passed away Thursday evening at the age of 91 in Long Beach, California, after battling cancer.

Born in 1927, Heath broke into comic books working on Western stories for Timely Comics (now Marvel Entertainment), including Two-Gun Kid.

Moving on to horror and war stories, Heath worked for EC Comics for a time before co-creating the Haunted Tank at DC Comics and drawing the first appearance of the Losers.

Heath’s illustrations were well known outside of comic books as well. Several panels of fighter jets from his work on DC war comic books were appropriated by Roy Lichtenstein for his paintings, including his works “Blam,” “Brattata,” and “Whaam.”

Heath also contributed to Playboy’s comic strip Little Annie Fanny – even living at the Playboy Mansion for a brief period.

Heath also worked in commercial art, illustrating battle scenes to advertise toy soldiers which ran in comic books for many years.

In his career, Heath was recognized with a 1997 Inkpot award, a 2010 Comic Art Professional Society Sergio Award, and the National Cartoonists Society’s Milton Caniff Award in 2014. In 2009, he was inducted into the Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame.
https://www.newsarama.com/41535-russ...sses-away.html

One of his most famous ads.
Old 08-24-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Russ Heath Passes Away at 91

I've had the opportunity to share several lunches with Russ over the years (thanks to the Hero Initiative). Russ was a character who always had a story to tell. Several stories, in fact. He enjoyed life to the fullest until age finally caught up with him. Even then, he was always raring to go.

He was a legend and I'll truly miss him.
Old 08-24-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember seeing his artwork in comics decades ago. Good artist. Didn't know he did that Roman soldier ad. That kind of thing is awesome. Sorry to hear this news.
Old 08-25-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never been big into war comics but anyone into DC's history would know Heath's name. He seems to have lived a long, happy life.
Old 08-27-18, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Russ Heath was great on Haunted Tank. Well, everything really, but Haunted Tank was what did it for me. I was glad to see that DC reprinted his work in the b&w Showcase line. He deserved it.
Old 09-01-18, 10:33 PM

From the Marie Severin thread, just a quick c&p :

with the recent passings of Marie Severin and Russ Heath, that makes Angelo Torres the sole surviving person who contributed creatively to EC Comics. We're almost to the end of an era.