Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC partners with Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: DC partners with Walmart

One of my Walmarts got the newer issues with the exception of the Detective Comics one
Old 04-20-19, 08:07 PM
Banned

Both my nearby Walmarts now have the new DC issues except the Detective Comics one. They also got in the new series 2 Batman Black and White plastic figures for $4.98 and restocked at least one more of each of the newer Marvel 3 packs including the popular Captain Marvel #1 Artgerm variant exclusive.

If anyone can get me 3 VF-NM copies of the Detective Comics giants, please let me know. I'll pay for the books, shipping and handling. I got 2 other Batman friends that also haven't found the book either.
Old 04-24-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It appears DC has begun sloppily censoring these Walmart books from the original comics. They decided to "cover up" women's legs in Michael Turner's art from the mid 2000s. They had an unnamed person poorly fill in costumes to cover up Wonder Woman's butt cheeks, for example. Several examples of this occur in the books with primary female characters like Supergirl and Wonder Woman.

It is unknown at this time if this was motivated by Walmart's meddling or a decision by DC itself. I'll go out on a limb and say it was DC's own decision. Only their top female characters appear to have received this treatment in the art. That makes me think it was some corporate dictate to protect these characters' brands.
Old 04-24-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It appears DC has begun sloppily censoring these Walmart books from the original comics. They decided to "cover up" women's legs in Michael Turner's art from the mid 2000s. They had an unnamed person poorly fill in costumes to cover up Wonder Woman's butt cheeks, for example. Several examples of this occur in the books with primary female characters like Supergirl and Wonder Woman.

It is unknown at this time if this was motivated by Walmart's meddling or a decision by DC itself. I'll go out on a limb and say it was DC's own decision. Only their top female characters appear to have received this treatment in the art. That makes me think it was some corporate dictate to protect these characters' brands.
I don't remember if that's Artemis but it certainly isn't Supergirl, WW, or a main female character, so I don't think they're trying to protect their characters, it's either a mandate from Wal-mart or DC is trying to not tick off Wal-mart.

On the one hand, it's censorship, which is bad, and if they didn't like the art they should've chosen a different comic. On the other hand it's Michael Turner drawing thongs. Like why does that amazon have a full bodysuit except an entire leg is missing? Why is Wonder Woman's costume so far up her rear?

Examples from bleedingcool:
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...-wonder-woman/

I don't even know what the difference is in that second picture.
Old 04-30-19, 03:15 PM
Banned

I'll appreciate immensely if someone can get me a copy of the Detective Comics special. Been to 9 WM in my area and none of them ever received the book.
Old 04-30-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I'll appreciate immensely if someone can get me a copy of the Detective Comics special. Been to 9 WM in my area and none of them ever received the book.
The Walmart I got it from is about a 55-minute drive for me, or I'd get it for you. I didn't realize this would be hard to find. Knowing Walmart, your local one probably has a dozen copies hiding somewhere in their stock room.

They must not be heavily circulating yet. There are few copies even on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Walmart%2DDet...d=123750998202
Old 04-30-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

This thing was supposed to be released two weeks ago. Not sure why it's being released slowly. Still waiting in my area. Need to check this weekend.
Old 04-30-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

The Walmart I got it from is about a 55-minute drive for me, or I'd get it for you. I didn't realize this would be hard to find. Knowing Walmart, your local one probably has a dozen copies hiding somewhere in their stock room.

They must not be heavily circulating yet. There are few copies even on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Walmart%2DDet...d=123750998202
The carton with the comics are probably being used to support a case of laundry detergent / bleach. Even worse, the store manager probably still refers to them as funnybooks!

Old 04-30-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's probably Dr. recommended not to make more than 2 trips to Wal-Mart in a 24hr period. The people of Wal-Mart you see on the internet, where probably once decent people before they started making frequent trips in search of a unicorn.
Old 05-02-19, 04:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I’ve been hearing great things about the main Avengers storyline the last couple years, No Surrender and No Road Home. Have been given digital codes for much of it, but not complete enough to start reading. Saw a Walmart three pack including an issue I need, the first.

Left it there as I contemplated, but after watching some YouTube videos of “unboxing” these Marvel three packs, the collecting bug hit hard and I went back next time I was out. That one three-pack was now missing.

What did I do? Remember that I can find every Marvel book for 84 cents or less in digital within a couple months of release and abandon the idea to buy 2/3 price new releases in print? No, I bought every other three pack that was there and drove to my other Walmart to buy the only one I planned to buy in the first place.

My name is Trevor. I’m a hoarder/collector.
Old 05-02-19, 09:24 PM
Banned

Accepting this is the first step. But I don't know where do we go from here because I'm the same way as you, with the only difference that I like to maintain my stuff in NM condition.
Old 05-05-19, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here is the Detective Comics Giant on BrickSeek. This will help guide you to a possible location with copies.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=925405253
Old 05-05-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is the Detective Comics Giant on BrickSeek. This will help guide you to a possible location with copies.

Checked the local Wal-Mart's within reasonable driving distance and getting the "out of stock" message.
Old 05-05-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Checked the local Wal-Mart's within reasonable driving distance and getting the "out of stock" message.
Same here. Nothing in stock within 50 miles, which is 19 stores BTW. I've been checking every week since the first in store pic was posted, and nothing has shown up around here.
Old 05-05-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ditto. Nothing near me at all.

If anyone happens across this again, could you please get me a copy as close to NM as possible? I'll pay you back with shipping and a little extra for your time. Anything is better than Ebay pricing.
Old 05-05-19, 09:39 PM
Banned

Thanks for the link. None of the WMs in NC that I've checked have the book. Either they never got it or it sold out.
Old 05-08-19, 06:03 PM

Nothing near me anymore. Next time, I’ll buy extras knowing I have 30 days to return them.
Old 05-17-19, 09:43 AM
Banned

The new issues are supposed to hit Wal-Mart today. Didn't see them at my closest store though

Old 05-17-19, 01:27 PM

They were at one of my local Walmart’s yesterday, and only a couple copies of each. I check fairly often, but I guess they could have been there for several days.
Old 05-18-19, 05:31 PM
Banned

Only one of my local Wal-Marts received them and only 3 copies of each. No Detective Comics special, so I'm resigned to go buy it on eBay
Old 05-18-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My local Wal-Marts got them. Four copies of each title. Actually, one store had 6 copies of Wonder Woman.
Old 05-27-19, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I broke down and ordered a Detective Comics Giant from Ebay today. If they start showing up at Walmarts now, you're all welcome.
Old 05-27-19, 04:13 PM

Thanks Vale! I’ll buy you an extra. Wait....
Old 05-30-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, Virginia. There IS a Detective Comics 80th Anniversary Giant. Got my copy today from eBay for $22. It's in great shape. I'm sure the guy snagged as many as he could because he still has some auctions up for them.

Expect them to start hitting stores within the month now!
Old 05-30-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Yes, Virginia. There IS a Detective Comics 80th Anniversary Giant. Got my copy today from eBay for $22. It's in great shape. I'm sure the guy snagged as many as he could because he still has some auctions up for them.

Expect them to start hitting stores within the month now!
What's the cover date on the book?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.