DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   DC partners with Walmart (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/644492-dc-partners-walmart.html)

robin2099 01-28-19 10:36 AM

Re: DC partners with Walmart

Haven't seen the Primal Age comic yet(my Target had a space for it but nothing there) but I will say that I think the toys look incredibly cool. Like I'm tempted to buy them, but I really have no place to put them.

fujishig 01-28-19 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 13486932)
You sir, are a rock star. Found them on the random end cap shelf. I also found 1 Green Lantern Primal Age figure in a clearance end cap. I asked them where the rest were and they said they haven't had a chance to bring the rest out yet. They also had to clear off an end cap for them. Two of the Targets I hit had the figures and castle on the end cap but no comic. One other had just the figures on a shelf. Two haven't put their stock out yet. I'm sure this means this comic will start showing up at other Targets in the next couple of weeks.

This Target had 9 comics. Five had some top cover damage. Two were in decent shape. Two were what I would consider NM. If you can't wait for your Target to stock them, lemme know.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ev8bqe.jpg

Ha, that green lantern was still there, huh? That was also the only one I saw last week. Yeah it was just thrown in a random endcap, I figured I missed the rest of the figures but ever since they've tried to save money by having the workers stock stuff during business hours, things have been a bit of a mess. So they basically just brought out a box of figures and threw them wherever? :)

Also every time I look at this cover I think that's Cap Marvel Jr.

The Valeyard 01-28-19 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13490193)
Also every time I look at this cover I think that's Cap Marvel Jr.

Great. Now I can't unsee that!

PhantomStranger 01-30-19 02:58 PM

I still haven't come across the #7 issues. I did happen upon one Walmart with leftover stock going as far back as #2 issues.

Edison 02-16-19 09:38 PM

I found the #8 issues of Superman, and Batman tonight, and #1 issues of Flash, Swamp Thing, Wonder Woman, and Titans. The store had 5 copies of each #1, but only 1 copy of each #8.

PhantomStranger 02-17-19 03:33 PM

I just picked up three of the #7 issues and couldn't even find Titans. Distribution in the locations I've been visiting recently have been very spotty after Christmas.

Red Hood 02-17-19 08:29 PM

Both of my nearby Wal-Marts had plenty of the new issues. One of the WM though took back every old issue so I imagine they are sending them somewhere else.

Red Hood 02-17-19 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 13486932)
You sir, are a rock star. Found them on the random end cap shelf. I also found 1 Green Lantern Primal Age figure in a clearance end cap. I asked them where the rest were and they said they haven't had a chance to bring the rest out yet. They also had to clear off an end cap for them. Two of the Targets I hit had the figures and castle on the end cap but no comic. One other had just the figures on a shelf. Two haven't put their stock out yet. I'm sure this means this comic will start showing up at other Targets in the next couple of weeks.

This Target had 9 comics. Five had some top cover damage. Two were in decent shape. Two were what I would consider NM. If you can't wait for your Target to stock them, lemme know.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ev8bqe.jpg

Do you still have any of them left? I'm interested in getting a copy of this book as none of the nearby Targets had it.

Obi-Wanma 02-17-19 09:04 PM

I've seen tons of copies of the Primal Age comic just sitting there. If Valeyard comes up empty, I can probably grab one if you're interested in paying cost + shipping.

Red Hood 02-17-19 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13502400)
I've seen tons of copies of the Primal Age comic just sitting there. If Valeyard comes up empty, I can probably grab one if you're interested in paying cost + shipping.

I'm good with that!

Red Hood 02-23-19 12:02 PM

Well, the DC Walmart line is done, according to the news coming out today from the ComicsPro meetings in Charlotte

Red Hood 02-23-19 12:05 PM

The Valeyard 02-23-19 01:56 PM

I just read that and came here.

I thought these were doing well enough to expand to six titles. There was so much praise after the Swamp Thing Special came out in October. So much change in 5 months.

I guess having these books available in more than one place is a good thing. Hopefully they'll do better than Archie's Marvel Digest that only lasted a year.

Trevor 02-23-19 02:16 PM

Hmmm, I guess on a personal level, I’m happy. It sorta sucked to spend $20 a month on mostly reprints, and $30 this month. I’m a sucker for both “exclusives” and 100 page giants, so it would have been hard to quit these. So having fewer of them, and with more original content per book, and with DCBS 40-50% off pricing, is a triple win. But it really sucks that the mass marketing getting them into the hands of new readers was apparently a failure.

stingermck 02-24-19 08:15 AM

From a local standpoint, it was odd that Swamp Thing is filming here, but local shops could not get a new Swamp Thing comic. So nice experiment, but these books also belonged in the shops.

The Valeyard 02-24-19 02:39 PM

From Dan DiDio on his FB page:

Successful and continuing. For those fans of the DC Giants at Walmart, have to clear up some misinformation making the rounds. Just want to let you know these books are doing well, so well that we are looking to expand the number of original pages in each book and include distribution to the direct market. Look for these and new titles later this year. The promise is to keep it one of the best values and reading experiences in the market. Best, DD
The first of these 100-Page books was released a couple of weeks ago (Man and Superman). Since it was 90-some pages of new content, it was $9.99. I wonder if 48 new content pages will bring these up to $6.99?

PhantomStranger 02-24-19 04:37 PM

I see increasingly erratic distribution for these Walmart exclusives across the 10 or more different Walmarts I regularly come across in my travels. There's no real rhyme or reason as to why some stores still have issues going back to #2 or #3, stockpiles of the Christmas special hanging around, and missing new issues.

PhantomStranger 03-09-19 03:45 PM

I picked up Swamp Thing Giant and Wonder Woman Giant #1s. Teen Titans has become Titans.

Red Hood 03-14-19 02:06 PM

Apparently, this surprise books is hitting Wal-marts tomorrow

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...6456b42669.jpg

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03...comics-walmart

The Valeyard 03-14-19 04:17 PM

I was just about to post that. That'll be 7 books hitting this weekend.

Red Hood 03-15-19 04:08 PM

Found all the new issues except the Detective Comics one. Hopefully, my wal-mart will get it.

Trevor 03-15-19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13517037)
Found all the new issues except the Detective Comics one. Hopefully, my wal-mart will get it.

Same here, four #2s and two #9s, no Detective.

The Valeyard 03-15-19 11:58 PM

Nothing so far at my local Wal-Marts.

For they mysterious Detective Comics 100-pager, maybe the official release date is in two weeks when they release Detective #1000.

I want to visit THIS Wal-Mart! Two of my Wal-Marts have goopy, squishy balls over the books and they've leaked over last months issues.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2colkj6.jpg

Edison 03-16-19 01:10 PM

I only found Flash #2, Titans #2, Superman #9, and Batman #9. No sign of the Detective Comics #1, Wonder Woman #2, or Swamp Thing #2.

My Walmart doesn't look like that picture. :(
Although that may be why one of the stores has never had the comics, it looks like that store got 4x the stock.

ddrknghtrtns 03-16-19 04:52 PM

Went to three different Wal-Mart's with no luck. Anyone know when they restock?