Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC partners with Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 10:12 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: DC partners with Walmart

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Target is getting a 100 page exclusive to tie in with Funko's Primal Age toy line.

Anyone seen this yet?
Old 01-14-19, 06:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Anyone seen this yet?
Mine had just the #6 issues still, as of a couple days ago.
Old 01-17-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

^ That's the Target Primal Age exclusive. Nothing's been officially announced yet. I'm curious if it's something you get when you buy a Primal Age toy since I don't see a price on it. But maybe it's on the top right corner? The toylike for these have been getting horrible reviews. The joints are so brittle that many arrive broken in the packaging.

The #7s are scheduled to hit Wal-Marts this weekend.
Old 01-17-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

For some reason I thought the Primal Age line was an Amazon exclusive. Maybe just a timed exclusive? Because I've never seen these at Target but they've been on Amazon since November or so.
Old 01-17-19, 12:46 PM

Just saw that the 6th ongoing title is going to be Swamp Thing!
Old 01-17-19, 01:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just saw that the 6th ongoing title is going to be Swamp Thing!
Saw the cover for this, but the post says that it's going to LCS, not Wal-Mart

Old 01-17-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah that seems like an odd choice for Walmart. Is there even a monthly Swamp Thing comic right now?
Old 01-17-19, 02:52 PM
Banned

So Dan Jurgens tweeted the link to the change announcements of the 100-page books at Wal-Mart. It's been less than a year, and already 2 books are being rebooted

NEW ADDITIONS AND CHANGES TO LINEUP OF WALMART 100-PAGE "GIANT" COMICS

By Official Press Release Thursday, January 17th, 2019

Line Expands to Six Titles with SWAMP THING, THE FLASH

TEEN TITANS and JUSTICE LEAGUE of AMERICA Continue as TITANS #1 and WONDER WOMAN #1

All Titles in Participating U.S. Walmart Retailers by February 17, 2019

BURBANK, CA and BENTONVILLE, AR – (January 17, 2019) – DC announced today that it is bolstering its successful relationship with Walmart by introducing new titles, increasing the publisher’s slate of 100-Page Giant comics from four to six. In addition, two titles from the original lineup will be re-titled and renumbered as #1 issues. All titles, including the SUPERMAN 100-Page Giant featuring Tom King with Andy Kubert and the BATMAN 100-Page Giant featuring Brian Michael Bendis and Nick Derington, will arrive in participating U.S. Walmart retail stores by Sunday, February 17.Additions to the lineup include the SWAMP THING 100-Page Giant #1 and THE FLASH 100-Page Giant #1. As with the other Walmart titles, each book will retail at $4.99 and combine new original stories with “flashback” content from popular DC story eras such as DC Rebirth, the New Age of Heroes and the New 52. “DC has been incredibly successful in attracting new readers through its relationship with Walmart,” said Nancy Spears, VP, Mass Book, Digital Sales and Trade Marketing. “These two titles are the perfect extensions to the Walmart line, given the successful Flash tv show and the popularity of last October’s SWAMP THING HALLOWEEN HORROR Special.”The debut issue of the SWAMP THING 100-Page Giant includes an original story, “Desert of Ash,” written by Tim Seeley (NIGHTWING, GREEN LANTERNS), with art by Mike Perkins (GREEN LANTERNS, THE CURSE OF BRIMSTONE ANNUAL). This 12-page tale features Swamp Thing and his witch companion Briar as they face the pyromaniac Char Man, who possesses the ability to control flames, a power granted by the elemental spirits of fire itself. Issues #2 and #3 feature “Bog of Blood,” a two-parter by Seeley with art by Joëlle Jones (CATWOMAN), which introduces a terrifying and potentially supernatural slasher stalking the swamps of Louisiana.This 100-page spectacular also includes fan-favorite stories from DC’s New 52 period, including Jeff Lemire, Travel Foreman and Dan Green’s “The Hunt,” from ANIMAL MAN, in addition to “Raise Dem Bones,” from the New 52 SWAMP THING by JUSTICE LEAGUE writer Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette, plus “Death in a Small Town,” featuring Detective Chimp and Shadowpact.THE FLASH 100-Page Giant #1 features an all-new tale of the Scarlet Speedster, written by Gail Simone (BIRDS OF PREY, SECRET SIX, PLASTIC MAN) with art by Clayton Henry (BLACK LIGHTNING: COLD DEAD HANDS). In the 12-part arc “Glass Houses,” Barry Allen is dedicated to keeping the streets of Central City safe as the Fastest Man Alive. But when his old foe Mirror Master shows up looking to cause trouble, it’s up to the Flash to stop him. This book also debuts classic tales of the New 52 version of the Flash by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato, in addition to the spacefaring adventures of Adam Strange from 2004 by Andy Diggle and Pasqual Ferry, plus the classic New 52 “rebirth” of the World’s Mightiest Mortal, Shazam, from Geoff Johns and Gary Frank.Both the JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA and TEEN TITANS Giants will retain their same contents but continue with new cover titles and will be renumbered with #1 issues. The JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 100-Page Giant becomes WONDER WOMAN 100-Page Giant #1, continuing the original Wonder Woman story by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti ,Tom Derenick and Chad Hardin, with “flashback” stories from Geoff Johns’ New 52 JUSTICE LEAGUE and AQUAMAN, plus 2006’s “Who Is Wonder Woman?” by Allan Heinberg, Rachel Dodson and Terry Dodson.The TEEN TITANS 100-Page Giant continues as TITANS 100-Page Giant #1, with BATMAN BEYOND writer Dan Jurgens continuing his original story with art by Scot Eaton and Wayne Faucher. In addition, the book will continue the ongoing reprint stories from Geoff Johns and Tom Grummett’s TEEN TITANS from 2004, Peter Tomasi’s SUPER SONS from 2017’s DC Rebirth and Kenneth Rocafort, Dan DiDio’ and Max Raynor’s SIDEWAYS from the New Age of Heroes.Each 100-page comic sells for $4.99 and are available in more than 3,000 participating Walmart retailers in the United States. To find the one nearest you, use the Walmart store finder.
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/01/17/new-additions-and-changes-to-lineup-of-walmart-100-page-giant-comics

Old 01-17-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. New 52 100-Page Giants. At least most of these stories will be new to me now. I didn't pick up a lot during that time period. And I'm also getting to a point that these reprints are covering other titles that I dropped.

Grabbing them all.
Old 01-17-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, that's pretty much exactly the Titans lineup from the DC Universe streaming show (Robin, Raven, Beast Boy, Starfire, featuring Hawk and Dove), and Swamp Thing is going to be a show, so I guess it's for synergy with that? But I didn't think there was ever a team post Rebirth with those four on it, so are these just non continuity bound or did I miss something?
Old 01-17-19, 07:00 PM
Banned

I don't mind DC doing reprints of the new 52 Swamp Thing, Animal Man and Batman because those 3 books were actually really good. Everything else of the new 52 has become unsellable to the point that most of it is ending up on bargain bins and on discount stores like Ollie's and Five Below for pennies on the dollar. I don't understand why DC keeps insisting on filling these 100 page books with New 52 stuff instead of selecting things from different eras of each character.
Old 01-19-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up all four #7s at Wal-Mart today. The 100-Page Primal Age was supposed to be released on Friday but no Target around me had it in stock.

UPDATE (for pix):

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-20-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 06:25 AM

Picked up all four #7s at Wal-Mart today. The 100-Page Primal Age was supposed to be released on Friday but no Target around me had it in stock.
I went last night and found a Primal Age endcap. It looks like I may have missed it, as the area was quite messy with several empty areas. I’ll check another Target on the way home from work today. Since returns at Target are so easy, I’ll buy 5 or so copies if I’m able, to have extras for you all.
Old 01-20-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I went last night and found a Primal Age endcap. It looks like I may have missed it, as the area was quite messy with several empty areas. I’ll check another Target on the way home from work today. Since returns at Target are so easy, I’ll buy 5 or so copies if I’m able, to have extras for you all.

Very kind of you. Be aware - The Primal Age book is $9.99. I guess a 100-page book with all new content would be priced different than a 100-page book with mostly reprints.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-21-19 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-21-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like Superman #7 is getting a lot of hate online. The story features Lois getting shot in the head in page 1 and each page is a visual of Superman thinking about different ways she might die if he isn't around. Needless to say all the rage seems really overdone IMO.
Old 01-21-19, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by robin2099
Looks like Superman #7 is getting a lot of hate online. The story features Lois getting shot in the head in page 1 and each page is a visual of Superman thinking about different ways she might die if he isn't around. Needless to say all the rage seems really overdone IMO.
I think I saw a Facebook post claiming it was being recalled. Haven’t looked for mine yet, hopefully today.
Old 01-21-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Feels like fake outrage so far. Only seen 2 sites report it and the same few tweets in each. The tweet that got it going has a whole 18 retweets.
Old 01-21-19, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
Feels like fake outrage so far. Only seen 2 sites report it and the same few tweets in each. The tweet that got it going has a whole 18 retweets.
I think is fake outrage started by Bleeding Cool. They are the ones running big with the story.
Old 01-21-19, 09:37 PM

Checked two Walmarts today. Got all four number 7s, decent stock except a total of one copy of the Superman issue.

Checked two Targets on my commute home, one VA and one MD. No Primal Age, and their little handheld computers showed none in stock at any store in the area(s). They couldn’t tell me if they were there and gone, or just not there yet.
Old 01-22-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Very kind of you. Be aware - The Primal Age book is $9.99. I guess a 100-page book with all new content would be priced different than a 100-page book with mostly reprints.
Shoot I wish I saw these posts before. I found the Primal Age comic, ironically in a Target that didn't have the Primal Age endcap.

10 bucks is a lot for a glorified ad for a toyline, I'd have much preferred them being included as mini comics like He-man was. Maybe that was the original intent. I still bought it but I think if I were with my son, and he was given a choice between this and one of the figures, he'd pick the figure. But he wasn't there and I bought it anyway.
Old 01-22-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Checked two Targets on my commute home, one VA and one MD. No Primal Age, and their little handheld computers showed none in stock at any store in the area(s). They couldn’t tell me if they were there and gone, or just not there yet.
Probably not in stock yet. I've checked several Targets from the San Bernardino County all the way to Glendale, CA. No one has them in stock.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Shoot I wish I saw these posts before. I found the Primal Age comic, ironically in a Target that didn't have the Primal Age endcap.
So where were the comics located? I'm curious because at the stores that only had the toys, I looked in the book/magazine section and the front with the Yu-Gi-Oh cards but couldn't find squat.
Old 01-22-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So where were the comics located? I'm curious because at the stores that only had the toys, I looked in the book/magazine section and the front with the Yu-Gi-Oh cards but couldn't find squat.
It was in a little box (like the Walmart boxes) that displays comics, on the endcap, just the endcap had random stuff on it and wasn't dedicated to Primal Age. Felt like someone just shoved it there, but it was definitely in the toy section.

This was Rosemead Target, btw.

Also, my local targets moved all the trading cards from the front (replacing them with gift cards for the holidays) and usually they're in the back with the collectible toys near electronics somewhere. That's actually where I thought they would stock these since these are funko and the army of funko are back there.
Old 01-23-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was in a little box (like the Walmart boxes) that displays comics, on the endcap, just the endcap had random stuff on it and wasn't dedicated to Primal Age. Felt like someone just shoved it there, but it was definitely in the toy section.

This was Rosemead Target, btw.

If you mean Rosemead, CA - I'm going to stop by before work tomorrow.
Old 01-23-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you mean Rosemead, CA - I'm going to stop by before work tomorrow.
I do. Good luck!
Old 01-23-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do. Good luck!
You sir, are a rock star. Found them on the random end cap shelf. I also found 1 Green Lantern Primal Age figure in a clearance end cap. I asked them where the rest were and they said they haven't had a chance to bring the rest out yet. They also had to clear off an end cap for them. Two of the Targets I hit had the figures and castle on the end cap but no comic. One other had just the figures on a shelf. Two haven't put their stock out yet. I'm sure this means this comic will start showing up at other Targets in the next couple of weeks.

This Target had 9 comics. Five had some top cover damage. Two were in decent shape. Two were what I would consider NM. If you can't wait for your Target to stock them, lemme know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.