DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   DC partners with Walmart (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/644492-dc-partners-walmart.html)

Red Hood 09-26-19 10:35 AM

Re: DC partners with Walmart

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 13613803)
Saw the Direct Edition of the Scooby Doo Giant at my LCS today. It begins.

Next week the Flash Giant comes out. I think they are doing 1-2 per week

fujishig 09-26-19 10:38 AM

I'm curious to see if this will have legs in the comic shops. I kind of doubt it, but let's see.

Trevor 09-26-19 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13614006)
I'm curious to see if this will have legs in the comic shops. I kind of doubt it, but let's see.

I’ve only leafed thru a couple of the new ones, but they have 26-37 pages of new content each. If that’s the expected norm for this line, then they’re a very good value at $4.99, and a great value when you add the reprint material. So I don’t think the price will, or at least should, deter anyone. Of course, those new pages will have to be good pages.....

fujishig 09-26-19 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13614042)
I’ve only leafed thru a couple of the new ones, but they have 26-37 pages of new content each. If that’s the expected norm for this line, then they’re a very good value at $4.99, and a great value when you add the reprint material. So I don’t think the price will, or at least should, deter anyone. Of course, those new pages will have to be good pages.....

It just seems like one of those things that comic fans will go out of their way to get at walmart or a non standard store, but once it hits the LCS, meh. I agree it's good value, though.

Trevor 09-26-19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13614050)
It just seems like one of those things that comic fans will go out of their way to get at walmart or a non standard store, but once it hits the LCS, meh. I agree it's good value, though.

Yeah, anthologies don’t seem to sell well the last decade or two.

But heck, I’d be game for this format being the only format from the big two. Instead of 80 books a month from Marvel, 5 being Avengers, 10 Spidey, 10 mutant, etc; just split the books into 100 pagers by main character/type/genre.

Red Hood 09-26-19 08:29 PM

This anthologies could become hits if DC sneaks new characters in the new stories like they did with Ginny Hex. Fans (and speculators) are all about first appearances, so if they introduce a new hero or villain on these Giant size anthologies, fans could start picking them up at the LCS.

VHS? 09-29-19 06:14 PM

So I moved back to physical books after going digital years ago. Like I need the clutter!
Not going to lay catch-up but there are a lot of nice looking variants I'd like to have from the past few years but man, prices are crazy on shit.

Red Hood 10-16-19 09:05 AM

I’m guessing that we should see a new batch of giant size, including the last Superman, this weekend, right?

The Valeyard 10-16-19 07:59 PM

Sounds about right. DC starts marketing the Walmart books a few days before the weekend. So far, I haven't seen anything tho.

The Valeyard 10-19-19 09:55 AM

What I found yesterday:

Aquaman Giant #1
Teen Titans Go Giant #1
DC Super Hero Girls Giant #1
Superman Giant # 16

Only picked up Superman to close out the Walmart collection.

Trevor 10-19-19 08:31 PM

*yeah, right

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 13626503)
What I found yesterday:

Aquaman Giant #1
Teen Titans Go Giant #1
DC Super Hero Girls Giant #1
Superman Giant # 16

Only picked up Superman to close out the Walmart collection.

Same here pretty much. It was today, and a Walmart nearer work as the two in my town have both ended the comic displays. Whew! I’m out!*

Red Hood 10-20-19 08:12 PM

Same here but also it seems that the 2 stores I visited had re-stocked on last month's #1 issues. I still don't get how are these books are going to get released from now on. Are all of them one shots? Bi-monthly?

ytrez 10-21-19 07:32 AM

I went to my LCS and picked up the Batman, Villains, Flash, and Wonder Woman 100 Page Giants. These types of comics were my favorite as a kid. You got such a bang for your buck. I enjoyed the two that I read and it's probably the old man in me but I'd prefer to see some older reprints in these new giants. I guess they don't want to go pre-New 52 these days with the reprints? I loved reading the old Marvel Family stories in the Shazam Giants when I was a kid and would love to see some classic stuff now.

Trevor 10-21-19 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 13627195)
I went to my LCS and picked up the Batman, Villains, Flash, and Wonder Woman 100 Page Giants. These types of comics were my favorite as a kid. You got such a bang for your buck. I enjoyed the two that I read and it's probably the old man in me but I'd prefer to see some older reprints in these new giants. I guess they don't want to go pre-New 52 these days with the reprints? I loved reading the old Marvel Family stories in the Shazam Giants when I was a kid and would love to see some classic stuff now.

I agree, some older school stuff would be nice. But if their goal with these is to target the younger market, I guess I can see them thinking newer material is better. When I was young, I initially didn’t care for the more “classic” reprints in current comics.

The Valeyard 10-22-19 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13627034)
Same here but also it seems that the 2 stores I visited had re-stocked on last month's #1 issues. I still don't get how are these books are going to get released from now on. Are all of them one shots? Bi-monthly?

Bleeding Cool is thinking they're a bi-monthly schedule.

Bleeding Cool

The Walmart closest to my house has stopped carrying the books. They redesigned the entire front and the collectible section is now one shelf. That's the second one around me that's dropped the books. Thankful the exclusivity is done. I'll probably pick up the occasional one shot Giant from time to time from my LCS.

ytrez 10-22-19 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13627277)
I agree, some older school stuff would be nice. But if their goal with these is to target the younger market, I guess I can see them thinking newer material is better. When I was young, I initially didn’t care for the more “classic” reprints in current comics.

I get that and if this helps bring in new readers then I'm all for it.

Regarding the classic reprints from my youth, I personally loved them. These were my first introduction to the Batman and Superman comics of 40s and 50s and I thought they were a blast. I can see how modern readers might not like them though. I haven't read any DC Comics since the whole New 52 thing started so these Giants are all new to me.

Trevor 10-22-19 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by ytrez (Post 13627826)
I get that and if this helps bring in new readers then I'm all for it.

Regarding the classic reprints from my youth, I personally loved them. These were my first introduction to the Batman and Superman comics of 40s and 50s and I thought they were a blast. I can see how modern readers might not like them though. I haven't read any DC Comics since the whole New 52 thing started so these Giants are all new to me.

Yeah, I didn’t like them at first, but I was only 5 or so years old. Within about 5 years I was loving the classic material. To this day, my favorite comics are the DC treasuries, digests, and 100 pagers that had a mix of current and 50s/60s material.

Red Hood 11-18-19 07:16 PM

Heard that the latest batch of DC giants hit WM this past weekend. Haven't been able to stop by but will probably check tomorrow.

The Valeyard 11-18-19 08:11 PM

I'll pit stop at one on the way home to see what's available. Definitely interested in the Crisis Giant.

Edit: No Crisis. Saw #2s for Batman, Flash, Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman. Also Batwoman/Supergirl #1.

Red Hood 11-19-19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 13642377)
I'll pit stop at one on the way home to see what's available. Definitely interested in the Crisis Giant.

Edit: No Crisis. Saw #2s for Batman, Flash, Swamp Thing and Wonder Woman. Also Batwoman/Supergirl #1.

Same here, plus a restock of Superman 16.

The Valeyard 12-05-19 04:16 PM

Looks like DC/CW issued a press release for the upcoming two-issue Crisis Giant. It definitely ties into the upcoming event.

Says Marc Guggenheim, who will co-write stories in both issues of Crisis on Infinite Earths 100-Page Giant with original Crisis writer Marv Wolfman:

The story that we’re attempting to tell with our interpretation of Crisis on Infinite Earths is so ambitious, we couldn’t confine it to five hours. I’m incredibly excited that we’re getting the chance to tell an ‘in canon’ story that ties directly into the crossover narrative. The comics will enable us to include characters and concepts that couldn’t be included in the crossover, plus the chance to collaborate further with original Crisis architect Marv Wolfman is just icing on the cake.

Fans of both comic books and The CW’s superhero shows are anxiously awaiting the debut of the Crisis on Infinite Earths television event scheduled for December and January. An event of this size and depth is bound to raise as many questions as it answers, and DC will be ready with a helping hand with the first of a two-issue series of Crisis on Infinite Earths 100-Page GIANT comic books, sold in participating U.S. Walmart stores.

Featuring an iconic cover image by original Crisis on Infinite Earths artist and co-creator George Perez, the book is expected to arrive in participating Walmart stores by December 15, 2019. The on-sale date follows the airing of parts one through three of The CW crossover on December 8 (Supergirl), December 9 (Batwoman) and December 10 (The Flash).

The book features a 24-page main story co-written by comics icon and Crisis comic co-creator Marv Wolfman and Marc Guggenheim, who serves as showrunner and executive producer of the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover event, with art provided by Tom Derenick (pencils), Trevor Scott (inks), John Kalisz (colors) and Wes Abbott (letters). Wolfman and Guggenheim also contribute an eight-page back-up story with pencils by fan-favorite Superman and Titans artist Tom Grummett, inks by Danny Miki, colors by Chris Sotomayor and letters by Wes Abbott. The debut issue also features a full reprint of the first issue of Wolfman and Perez’ Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 as well as an excerpt from issue #7 of the landmark maxiseries.

The second GIANT comic will arrive in participating U.S. Walmart stores by January 19, 2020 and hit comic book retailers on February 26, 2020. Issue #2 will also feature the main and back up stories co-written by Wolfman, Guggenheim, with art by Derenick, Scott, Andy Owens, Hi-Fi and Abbott on the main story, with Grummett, Miki, Sotomayor and Abbott on the back-up story. Reprinted content will also be included, in the form of issue #8 of Crisis on Infinite Earths, plus excerpted content from DC Universe: Legacies #6.

Part one of The CW’s Crisis on Infinite Earths television event debuts with Supergirl on Sunday December 8 at 8/7c, followed by part two on Monday, December 9 with Batwoman at 8/7c and part three with The Flash Tuesday, December 10 at 8/7c. Fans can stream each episode for free the day after air on The CW App. For more information visit the website at www.cwtv.com/shows/crisis-on-infinite-earths.
Bleeding Cool

PhantomStranger 12-05-19 05:31 PM

I've kind of given up collecting these Walmart trades but Batwoman/Supergirl #1 got me when I saw it.

Red Hood 12-05-19 06:34 PM

Cover of the first part

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...5d465bdaf.jpeg

The Valeyard 12-05-19 06:44 PM

Direct Market Edition cover. I dig this one....

https://i.postimg.cc/DfJCf04F/STL137264.jpg

*for some reason, the forum would not let me post directly.

Josh-da-man 12-05-19 10:33 PM

They should do a Vertigo 100 Page Giant with Sandman #8, Hellblazer #27, Invisibles v1 #13, and Preacher #18.

The Walmart kids need something better than all of this capeshit stuff.