Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel Comics announces line-wide relaunch ‘Fresh Start’.

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Comics announces line-wide relaunch ‘Fresh Start’.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Marvel Comics announces line-wide relaunch ‘Fresh Start’.

I guess I don't see it that way, so long there's some sort of explanation or rationale as to the swerve. I guess it's weird to me to expect and demand predictability in these kind of stories, since i'm generally ok with things not going as planned when reading or watching any form of media.

If Scott/Jean don't get married because Jean died (again) in some form, i'd probably understand. I guess that's just me. I may not pay as much attention to X-Men the last 5+ years, but they're still my favorite comic book property so it's not from lack of knowledge or investment in these characters either. Maybe i'm just more understanding then the more "hardcore" comic fan (which I've always assumed, since hey I LOVE the 90's X-Men)
Old 06-21-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I guess I don't see it that way, so long there's some sort of explanation or rationale as to the swerve. I guess it's weird to me to expect and demand predictability in these kind of stories, since i'm generally ok with things not going as planned when reading or watching any form of media.

If Scott/Jean don't get married because Jean died (again) in some form, i'd probably understand. I guess that's just me. I may not pay as much attention to X-Men the last 5+ years, but they're still my favorite comic book property so it's not from lack of knowledge or investment in these characters either. Maybe i'm just more understanding then the more "hardcore" comic fan
Did you see the explanation, though?

Spoiler:

Illyana and Kitty are drinking the night before the wedding. Illyana says:
"I think if you two were meant to be together... it would've happened by now."

That's it. That's what puts the seed of doubt in.

Then after Kitty leaves him at the alter, Colossus finds her and asks why:

Kitty: I asked you to marry me. I wanted you to marry me. I wanted to marry you. But listening to Rabbi Yarkin... listing all the things we've faced, everything that's happened. Marriage is hard. Hard enough with all this... stuff. It's just too much history. A lot of it good, yeah. But some of it bad. And all of it... messy. Not the foundation to build a marriage on.
Peter: Love is that foundation. Do you love me, Katya?
Kitty: With all my soul.
P: Then I don't understand.
K: Neither do I. All I understand--all I know---at this moment is... I can't do this. Not today. Maybe not ever. I don't know.
P: So where does that leave us?

And then the couple with the rockiest foundation of all gets married with no buildup. Forgot to mention the little things sprinkled through like Lockheed and his family and Kurt saying he's going to propose to Rachel.

Maybe it's realistic. Is it satisfying after all the buildup? No way. Is it masked by fans who grew up with the X-men cartoon and are excited about the other wedding actually taking place? No doubt.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-21-18 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-21-18, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Reading Fujishig's explanation helps so - so the Mr and Mrs X development is totally out of the blue? I haven't been following X-men up to date but it did seem like this was a misplaced 'blast from the past.' One of the best parts about Mrs X was her romantic ambivalence and inability to get close to people.

The romantic friction between Jean Grey and Cyclops was so paramount to the X-men for so long that other marriages/romances still seem like a pail formulaic imitation. I cannot decide if it's refreshing Marvel did not draw the Mr and Mrs X one out for month/years or disappointing. I think the 'romance' in X-men comics lends itself to good character development but when it becomes too central feels off brand.

I agree it's nice to see Marvel giving the X-men and Fantastic Four more focus.
Old 06-21-18, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Reading Fujishig's explanation helps so - so the Mr and Mrs X development is totally out of the blue? I haven't been following X-men up to date but it did seem like this was a misplaced 'blast from the past.' One of the best parts about Mrs X was her romantic ambivalence and inability to get close to people.

The romantic friction between Jean Grey and Cyclops was so paramount to the X-men for so long that other marriages/romances still seem like a pail formulaic imitation. I cannot decide if it's refreshing Marvel did not draw the Mr and Mrs X one out for month/years or disappointing. I think the 'romance' in X-men comics lends itself to good character development but when it becomes too central feels off brand.

I agree it's nice to see Marvel giving the X-men and Fantastic Four more focus.
Apparently Mr and Mrs. X had a mini together that was pretty highly regarded, so it's not like it came literally out of nowhere, but if you read the comic it basically is on a whim.
Old 06-21-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Plus, why wouldn't Marvel want to advertise that their couple of the 90's was getting married to you know, sell some books? I was never excited about the wedding of Peter and Kitty. Seems like a foolish way to sell comics when you're bleeding readers month in and month out.
Old 06-21-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I suspect doing it this way helps it to go viral, since they leaked this to mainstream press before the issue came out (which is crappy for comic book fans as well). I mean we didn't even mention the Kitty/Colossus stuff here until I was nerd outraged, so I guess that works.

It is dumb, though, considering they had a new series coming out featuring these characters and they had to hide all info about it until just now, so now comic retailers have to scramble to adjust their orders.
Old 06-21-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Did you see the explanation, though?

Spoiler:

Illyana and Kitty are drinking the night before the wedding. Illyana says:
"I think if you two were meant to be together... it would've happened by now."

That's it. That's what puts the seed of doubt in.

Then after Kitty leaves him at the alter, Colossus finds her and asks why:

Kitty: I asked you to marry me. I wanted you to marry me. I wanted to marry you. But listening to Rabbi Yarkin... listing all the things we've faced, everything that's happened. Marriage is hard. Hard enough with all this... stuff. It's just too much history. A lot of it good, yeah. But some of it bad. And all of it... messy. Not the foundation to build a marriage on.
Peter: Love is that foundation. Do you love me, Katya?
Kitty: With all my soul.
P: Then I don't understand.
K: Neither do I. All I understand--all I know---at this moment is... I can't do this. Not today. Maybe not ever. I don't know.
P: So where does that leave us?

And then the couple with the rockiest foundation of all gets married with no buildup. Forgot to mention the little things sprinkled through like Lockheed and his family and Kurt saying he's going to propose to Rachel.

Maybe it's realistic. Is it satisfying after all the buildup? No way. Is it masked by fans who grew up with the X-men cartoon and are excited about the other wedding actually taking place? No doubt.

Still fine to me (and yeah, actually realistic situation to me), but again I've never been the type of comic reader that raged over some of the other things I see people care about.

I should say, I can see why fans would be perturbed, but the "omg fuck Marvel!" type of stuff seems silly to me.
Old 06-21-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I suspect doing it this way helps it to go viral, since they leaked this to mainstream press before the issue came out (which is crappy for comic book fans as well). I mean we didn't even mention the Kitty/Colossus stuff here until I was nerd outraged, so I guess that works.

It is dumb, though, considering they had a new series coming out featuring these characters and they had to hide all info about it until just now, so now comic retailers have to scramble to adjust their orders.
My shop said they will adjusting orders down. They said the last Rogue Gambit series didnt sell well at all.
Old 06-21-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has there ever been an individual X-Character comic that did sell well outside of the obvious Wolverine/Cable/Deadpool comics?
Old 06-21-18, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's too bad. The creative team seems top notch and I guess I figured the publicity would help people be drawn to the book, especially the fans of the relationship. That helps it stand out a little more than yet another X-character comic that will end up going nowhere fast (which is why they did it). I mean, even as a fan of Kitty I'll admit a Gambit/Rogue book is a lot more attractive than a Kitty/Colossus one.

I am curious what they'll replace Blue and Gold with (I realize they have Red).
Old 06-21-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

That's too bad. The creative team seems top notch and I guess I figured the publicity would help people be drawn to the book, especially the fans of the relationship. That helps it stand out a little more than yet another X-character comic that will end up going nowhere fast (which is why they did it). I mean, even as a fan of Kitty I'll admit a Gambit/Rogue book is a lot more attractive than a Kitty/Colossus one.

I am curious what they'll replace Blue and Gold with (I realize they have Red).
I always hated Gambit and Rogue. And I am not alone in that seniment. Can't believe they kept the two most obnoxious mutant characters hanging around!
Old 06-22-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

That is what makes me loathe Marvel Comics today. They write their stories for what will generate the most publicity in the press. It's the most cynically run entertainment company in the world. What makes a good character or a good story gets secondary consideration to what will go viral on the internet.

I'd be furious if DC pulled this kind of bait-and-switch on the Batman wedding.
Old 06-23-18, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
I always hated Gambit and Rogue. And I am not alone in that seniment. Can't believe they kept the two most obnoxious mutant characters hanging around!
I liked the flirtatious stuff between Gambit and Rogue at the very beginning when Claremont was writing and Jim Lee was illustrating.
Gambit was originally a mysterious character, morally gray, and that made him interesting. He was supposed to be revealed as a villain, sent by Mr. Sinister to infiltrate the X-Men. But he was so popular they kept him as a regular, and he became boring in my eyes.

Gambit and Rogue getting married is like Daphne and Niles getting together.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That is what makes me loathe Marvel Comics today. They write their stories for what will generate the most publicity in the press. It's the most cynically run entertainment company in the world...

Having them NOT get married is fine with me, despite the build up. If they don't build it up, readers might get suspicious that they WON'T go through with the wedding.
But the way it was written according to the spoiler mentioned earlier...that sounds like some bullshit.

What makes a good character or a good story gets secondary consideration to what will go viral on the internet.
But hasn't DC been doing this as well, since the 90s at least?
They did the "The Death of Superman" to get headlines, then followed it up with "The Return of Superman." Prior to that they had 1-900-DECIDE-IF-ROBIN-GETS-MURDERED. Jason Todd, out of nowhere, becomes a reckless killer.
Those were very poorly written stories that didn't make too much sense.

And DC too is trying to go viral with Batman and Catwoman getting married.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-23-18 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-23-18, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That is what makes me loathe Marvel Comics today. They write their stories for what will generate the most publicity in the press. It's the most cynically run entertainment company in the world. What makes a good character or a good story gets secondary consideration to what will go viral on the internet.

Jesus, fanboys are so weird.
Old 06-23-18, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie

And DC too is trying to go viral with Batman and Catwoman getting married.
But Batman is an amazing arc with some of the best Batman writing in years, and has been building for the past 15 years since Hush. Marvel threw this together. Big difference
Old 06-23-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, Superman did die, Batman did get his back broken, etc. if it didn't happen or got reversed in that same issue, it would be analogous to this.

Like I fully expected some shenanigans would break the happy couple apart eventually, but I thought it would at least take a new writer coming on in a year or two, not what seem s like editorial interference dictating hat this be changed.

Similar in happened with the whole cyclops is a mutant hitler thing. They did a long delayed series to play back what had happened in the past after referring to it for a long time and it turned out to not make any sense. Why? What the heck is x editorial doing?
Old 06-24-18, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
But Batman is an amazing arc with some of the best Batman writing in years, and has been building for the past 15 years since Hush. Marvel threw this together. Big difference
Really?
Just the idea of Batman marrying Catwoman seems out of character unless we're talking Golden/Silver Age or Elseworlds. But if it's really a good story I'll check it out.

I mean, Superman did die, Batman did get his back broken, etc. if it didn't happen or got reversed in that same issue, it would be analogous to this.
Yeah, that's a big difference, but to me, they all seem like forced conclusions, just that one occurred in a single issue apparently, and the other two were dragged out over, like, 20 issues. All done to get headlines.
The Death of Superman seemed like every issue was just Doomsday and Superman punching each other while causing city damage. Alan Moore did the same thing, so much better, in a single issue of Miracleman.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-24-18 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-24-18, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
Really?
Just the idea of Batman marrying Catwoman seems out of character unless we're talking Golden/Silver Age or Elseworlds. But if it's really a good story I'll check it out.

Yeah, that's a big difference, but to me, they all seem like forced conclusions, just that one occurred in a single issue apparently, and the other two were dragged out over, like, 20 issues. All done to get headlines.
The Death of Superman seemed like every issue was just Doomsday and Superman punching each other while causing city damage. Alan Moore did the same thing, so much better, in a single issue of Miracleman.
If you are a fan of Batman, Kings run is a must read. It's the best Batman I've ever read and yes that's over Morrison, Snyder, Miller all the greats.
Old 07-22-18, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally!

Marvel Comics Presents... Uncanny X-Men

The legendary series returns this November.
Old 07-22-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Finally!
A name doesn't make a comic great. We need more than just a name to give me hope that Marvel will put some talent resources back into the X line.