Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

2017 had some great comics. Here are my favorites. What are yours?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 12-29-17, 09:25 AM

I tried to think of a ranking for these and I failed. So below are my top 25 series in no particular order. Questions, comments?

Title (amazon links) Creators
[cover]
comments

(I don't get anything from these links, I am just trying to make it easier for you to find them.)

Batman by Tom King et el

I didn't think anyone would be able to follow Scott Snyder's run on Batman but Tom King is doing it. Five strong volumes already in just one year. Why is Batman's war on crime in Gotham never ending?

X-O Manowar: Soldier \ General by Matt Kindt et al

2017 is the year Valiant became one of my favorite publishers. Expect to see a lot more of their books on next year's list. This story is basically what if Iron Man was stranded on an alien planet and caught between two sides of a war there. He can try to stay out of it for a while...

The Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows by Gerry Conway, Ryan Stegman et al

I really love this series. It is an alternate timeline where Peter and MJ are married with a daughter. She inherits his spidey powers so he builds a piece of tech that allows MJ to mimic them too and the three of them go out on adventures together as a family. Incredible art by Stegman.

Star Wars: The New Canon, Year 3 by Charles Soule, Kieron Gillen, Jason Aaron, Cullen Bunn et al

Another strong year from the Disney push since Marvel keeps rotating its best creators on the license.

Kill Or Be Killed by Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips et al

Whenever Brubaker and Phillips work together it's magic. Try to avoid spoilers on this one.

Silver Surfer: A Power Greater Than Cosmic by Dan Slott, Michael Allred et al

This year saw the final volume of my all time favorite Silver Surfer run. It was so good. Definitely check it out from the start.

Heathen by Natasha Alterici et al

A neat Viking story from a new indie publisher. One person both writes and draws it.

The Infamous Iron Man by Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Maleev et al

What happens when Doctor Doom replaces his suit of armor with some Stark tech?

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns -- The Last Crusade \ The Master Race by Frank Miller, Brian Azzarello, Andy Kubert, John Romita Jr and more

This is DKR3 and DKR1.5 and they're a lot better than DKR2 was since this time Miller had an assist from Azzarello and all star artists. Fans of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern or the Atom should enjoy it.

X-Men & Inhumans: Death Of X \ IvX by Charles Soule, Jeff Lemire and more

Two of my favorite writers teamed up to pit two of my favorite teams against each other, and gave them a very legit reason to be at odds.

The Great Divide by Ben Fisher, Adam Markiewicz et al

A scary future where humans can't touch each other.

Serenity: No Power In The Verse by Chris Roberson et al

A new story that takes place after the movie.

Super Sons by Peter Tomasi, Patrick Gleason et al

It's Jonathan Kent and Damian Wayne together for the first time, with little supervision by their dads.

Extremity by Daniel Warren Johnson, Mike Spicer et al

Possibly my favorite new title of the year. Super original and highly recommended. From Skybound (Invincible, Walking Dead) at Image.

Eclipse by Zack Kaplan, Giovanni Timpano et al

Some adventures in a future where our planet is engulfed by solar flares.

Civil War II by Brian Michael Bendis et al

Bendis came up with a conflict of ideas that pulled me towards both sides, just like Millar did in the original Civil War. This time it's Tony Stark vs Captain Marvel instead of Captain America.

post 1 of 2
continued below
Old 12-29-17, 09:27 AM

Re: 2017 had some great comics. Here are my favorites. What are yours?

post 2 of 2
continued from above

The Black Monday Murders by Jonathan Hickman, Tomm Coker et al

The crazy new series from Hickman starts here.

The Shadow Glass by Aly Fell et al

An underrated fantasy story I enjoyed a lot.

The Punisher: On The Road \ End Of The Line and VS Deadpool by Becky Cloonan, Steve Dillon, Fred Van Lente et al

Some solid Punisher from Cloonan's debut with the character and Dillon's finale =(.

Justice League Rebirth by Bryan Hitch, Tony Daniel et al

This didn't get great reviews and I disagree with that. Hitch does a good job coming up with "big idea" problems that would take the whole league together to solve. The art is very exciting on top.

Star Trek: New Visions by John Byrne et al

The great lost episodes continue to fly under the radar.

The Unworthy Thor by Jason Aaron, Olivier Coipel et al

Two heavyweight Thor creators return to tell an awesome tale about the Odinson when he can no longer use his hammer.

All-Star Batman: My Own Worst Enemy by Scott Snyder, John Romita Jr et al

Batman leaves Gotham in this Two Face story with a lot of layers.

Thanos Returns by Jeff Lemire, Mike Deodato et al

If you read the recent Infinity epic then you need to see this follow up.

Red Sonja: Worlds Away by Amy Chu, Carlos Gomez et al

A fun fish out of water tale where a fantasy warrior arrives in present day NYC.

The Vision: Director's Cut by Tom King, Gabriel Hernandez Walta et al

This was an impressive, award winning slow burn, and it's about an Avengers character I never cared about and yet it works for me. I felt like I was reading a Marvel comic version of a Star Trek TNG story about Data.

PS: And the best single issue story I read all year... Eugenic #1

A scientist wants to rid the world of racism. Best not to go in knowing any more than that. Great read and concluded in this extra length comic.

Looking forward to seeing your alls suggestions since I'm sure I missed things! Thanks

~D
Old 12-29-17, 12:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Reading things the year they’re released?! That’s silly.
Old 12-29-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Reading things the year theyíre released?! Thatís silly.
In general, I agree, but I have kept up with a few current series this year like Kill or Be Killed, getting the singles as they go on sale. I've also been reading the new Star Wars series in the crazy Amazon sales, though I haven't dug further than Darth Vader (my favorite), the main Star Wars series, and Princess Leia.
Old 12-29-17, 02:01 PM

To be fair while a lot of these collections dropped this year their contents likely began last year =).
Old 12-29-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dishpan View Post
Red Sonja: Worlds Away by Amy Chu, Carlos Gomez et al

A fun fish out of water tale where a fantasy warrior arrives in present day NYC.
I admit I was not that excited about the idea of a displaced Red Sonja. On the other hand, there are like 10 billion standard Red Sonja stories, so why NOT try something different? Glad to hear it's worth reading.
Old 12-29-17, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I admit I was not that excited about the idea of a displaced Red Sonja. On the other hand, there are like 10 billion standard Red Sonja stories, so why NOT try something different? Glad to hear it's worth reading.
Your initial reaction was exactly the same as mine actually. Once I saw the art though I had to check it out, and after that the story pulled me in so I ended up subscribing. In fact this is one of a handful of titles this year where I took the time to write the publisher.
Old 12-29-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been a huge fan of the Superman comics lately, including the Super Sons spin-off. We've gotten some wonderful Superman comics in the Rebirth era.

The marriage between Superman and Lois is working better than it ever did before the New 52. But what I love most of all is Jonathan Kent, Superboy. DC made the correct call in ageing him up to 10 years old fairly quickly. If I can't get Clark Kent as Superboy, the next best thing is getting his actual son as Superboy. Now if only Jon happens to get stuck in the 31st Century...

The Superboy and Robin team is working great at the moment. They are perfect foils for each other.
Old 12-29-17, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've only read a few of those, my favorite being Super Sons.

I'm curious what you liked about IvX though, I thought it was terrible. Do the side stories flesh it out or something? Both it and Civil War 2 had the same problem, that is the concept they were fighting over was really, really stupid.

It doesn't help that I'm a Cyclops fan, and after playing him up as a mutant Hitler for the better part of a year, they tone it down a ton when they finally reveal what really happened in Death of X, and I'm still wondering why people hated him so much, compared to the Inhumans who literally chose their magic power cloud over mutant genocide.
Old 12-29-17, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The Superboy and Robin team is working great at the moment. They are perfect foils for each other.
I totally agree with your whole post, and I am highlighting the last part because I am a Damian Wayne fan who thinks they have great interactions too.
Old 12-29-17, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm curious what you liked about IvX though, I thought it was terrible. Do the side stories flesh it out or something? Both it and Civil War 2 had the same problem, that is the concept they were fighting over was really, really stupid.
Personally I feel like it's pretty difficult to come up with an ideological standpoint that two heroes would be believably at odds over, so when it's done well (such as Wolverine vs Cyclops in Schism) I love it. It's not cut and dry and a good writer makes me see the gray in both sides. I definitely felt this way about Civil War 2, did you not?

I was already a big fan of all the Inhumans books, and the X-Men (Cyclops is my favorite character too!). Most importantly the two writers. So this crossover was a dream come true for me -- which acknowledges some bias. The Emma Frost stuff from Death Of X and IvX really got me.

To answer your question the side books did flesh it out more, but I am basing that on also having read all the lead up Inhumans \ Nuhumans stuff too and I don't know if you've done that. Pretty much the only thing I *didn't* like about IvX was how quickly and easily they nicely wrapped things up after all the conflict. I would've preferred it to be messier I think. I'm not sure why people didn't like the the premises to be honest.

I've definitely seen a ton of hate for all these events online, so I expected them to suck. But when I look at the Amazon scores for all of them they're averaging four stars out of five so maybe I'm not crazy. Thanks for the reply and the discussion!
Old 12-29-17, 05:41 PM

Hey just in case anyone was curious, I dug up our previous years threads that I could find for comparison.

~d
Old 01-01-18, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Adding a little bit of relevant info to the thread, here were the top-ten selling comics in 2017. DC Comics had seven of the top ten issues.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...s-2017-1070490
Old 01-02-18, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
In general, I agree, but I have kept up with a few current series this year like Kill or Be Killed, getting the singles as they go on sale. I've also been reading the new Star Wars series in the crazy Amazon sales, though I haven't dug further than Darth Vader (my favorite), the main Star Wars series, and Princess Leia.
To be fair while a lot of these collections dropped this year their contents likely began last year =).
Yeah, I was mainly joking. My norm the last decade is to sample first issues but then wait until the series is over before reading. So I probably read a few 2017 issues, but Iím years behind in reading most runs, so really canít make any evaluations for anything released this year.
Old 01-02-18, 06:58 AM

Adding a little bit of relevant info to the thread, here were the top-ten selling comics in 2017. DC Comics had seven of the top ten issues.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...s-2017-1070490
Looks like Watchmen dominated the year again. Itís been what, 30 years since itís release?
Old 01-02-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Watchmen dominated the year again. Itís been what, 30 years since itís release?
I think it came out in the mid-80s, I'm not exactly sure as to which year. The series wasn't even on my radar until I read a trade paperback of it in the early 1990s.
Old 01-02-18, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really love this series. It is an alternate timeline where Peter and MJ are married with a daughter. She inherits his spidey powers so he builds a piece of tech that allows MJ to mimic them too and the three of them go out on adventures together as a family. Incredible art by Stegman.
First incredible thread!

2nd thanks to your thread I'm now interested in checking out these Spidey books. It's been years I have not read a comic book.
Old 01-03-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it came out in the mid-80s, I'm not exactly sure as to which year. The series wasn't even on my radar until I read a trade paperback of it in the early 1990s.
Hibbs does an analysis of Bookscan numbers every year. 2017 isn't out yet, but his analysis of 2016 is here:
http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at...-million-sold/

Granted, these are mainly bookstore only, but DC's number one book two years ago was still the Killing Joke (number 8 overall but numbers 1-7 are stuff like Dork Diaries and Raina Telgemeier's books). Watchmen was at number 3, V for Vendetta was at number 8. Maus still sells a ton as well (more than Watchmen). It helps that these are all pretty much self contained, classic series.
Old 01-03-18, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Hibbs does an analysis of Bookscan numbers every year. 2017 isn't out yet, but his analysis of 2016 is here:
http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at...-million-sold/

Granted, these are mainly bookstore only, but DC's number one book two years ago was still the Killing Joke (number 8 overall but numbers 1-7 are stuff like Dork Diaries and Raina Telgemeier's books). Watchmen was at number 3, V for Vendetta was at number 8. Maus still sells a ton as well (more than Watchmen). It helps that these are all pretty much self contained, classic series.
This brings up something that has bothered me for a while. I've heard people praise DC for how good of a job they do keeping their important titles constantly in print and relevant to today's readers, with the implication being that Marvel could learn a thing or two from them. I've always been skeptical of that praise because we're literally talking about, what, half a dozen titles? Watchmen, Killing Joke, V for Vendetta, Year One, Dark Knight Returns? I guess you could throw in the Loeb/Sale Batman books as well. So in other words, Alan Moore and Batman. That's fine, and maybe Marvel could learn a lesson from DC and do a better job of keeping things like, I don't know, Dark Phoenix or Death of Gwen Stacy perpetually in print and on top of the sales charts, but DC otherwise pales in comparison to Marvel when it comes to their respective collected editions.

Between Masterworks, Epic Collections, Omnibuses, other various trades, and Marvel Unlimited, I can read just about any Marvel comic I could ever want without so much as breaking a sweat. If, on the other hand, you want to read some 70's/80's Batman? Sure you can, but it's all scattered across a bunch of creator-centric hardcovers that don't reprint unbroken runs and often feature over-lapping material. And forget trying to read the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams stories (arguably the most important pre-Crisis Batman comics) in anything but Adams's redrawn/recolored versions, because, outside of buying the original issues, you can't. I could list a hundred other examples, but I think we all get it. Give me Marvel's approach any day.
Old 01-03-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno, if you take out Marvel Unlimited, it changes the discussion a lot. Marvel absolutely throws everything into collections and just blasts it out there (I mean Power Pachaderms? really?), but often times the print runs are limited and if you miss it, well, it'll come back eventually but you may not be able to get it when you want it.

DC had a major problem with their omnibus's early on (as far as binding/printing), but I think that's since been rectified, and their absolute line is a stellar premium line, if unwieldy for regular reading. They're also making a concerted effort to make omnibus's of golden and silver age titles, as well as stellar runs (Perez WW, Wolfman and Perez NTT, and more recent stuff like John's JSA, GL, Flash). I'd prefer more Legion trades but I do think they're doing ok, and they get extra points for all the Vertigo books they collect as well.

And if you ask a comic retailer which method they prefer, I think they'd rather have DC's perenniel sellers than Marvel's scattershot approach, especially considering shelf space and demand.

I would kill for a DC unlimited, though.
Old 01-03-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I will freely admit that DC has come a long way in the last few years (and in a few more years this might be a completely different conversation), and I'm sure you're right about retailers preferring their approach, but I'll still take Marvel's methodology any day of the week. For my money, the Masterworks program alone blows anything DC does out of the water. Sure a lot of the older volumes are out of print, but they're mostly all available digitally (not to mention the epic collections), and the restoration is top-notch. The fact that I can't read unbroken runs of silver/bronze age Batman/Detective or Superman/Action is mind boggling to me.
Old 01-03-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
This brings up something that has bothered me for a while. I've heard people praise DC for how good of a job they do keeping their important titles constantly in print and relevant to today's readers, with the implication being that Marvel could learn a thing or two from them. I've always been skeptical of that praise because we're literally talking about, what, half a dozen titles? Watchmen, Killing Joke, V for Vendetta, Year One, Dark Knight Returns? I guess you could throw in the Loeb/Sale Batman books as well. So in other words, Alan Moore and Batman. That's fine, and maybe Marvel could learn a lesson from DC and do a better job of keeping things like, I don't know, Dark Phoenix or Death of Gwen Stacy perpetually in print and on top of the sales charts, but DC otherwise pales in comparison to Marvel when it comes to their respective collected editions.
The problem with Marvel is that they don't have any evergreen material on the level of DC. In the early 80s, DC cultivated a group of writers -- Moore, Gaiman, and Morrison -- that did some really groundbreaking work. Dark Knight Returns, Killing Joke, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Sandman, Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, and Animal Man were all these huge things that changed the way mainstream comics were viewed and are all timeless works.

Marvel never did anything like that, outside of, maybe, the Epic imprint. Their top superhero comics like Death of Gwen Stacy, Elektra, and Dark Phoenix don't even come close to DC's cream of the crop.

Between Masterworks, Epic Collections, Omnibuses, other various trades, and Marvel Unlimited, I can read just about any Marvel comic I could ever want If, on the other hand, you want to read some 70's/80's Batman? Sure you can, but it's all scattered across a bunch of creator-centric hardcovers that don't reprint unbroken runs and often feature over-lapping material. And forget trying to read the Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams stories (arguably the most important pre-Crisis Batman comics) in anything but Adams's redrawn/recolored versions, because, outside of buying the original issues, you can't. I could list a hundred other examples, but I think we all get it. Give me Marvel's approach any day.
I remember reading a while back that DC can't republish their post-1975ish comics in inexpensive editions because the creators are guaranteed a certain royalty rate. So they have to be selective in what they reprint in TPBs since they'll take a loss on low-demand material. This is why their b&w "Showcase" books didn't cover things from the 80s or later and the bulk of the Wolfman/Perez Titans isn't available.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-16-18 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Josh is correct, unless the writers and artists are willing to cut a deal on royalties, DC is hamstrung when it comes to reprinting certain eras. That is why they have been using creator-driven volumes for Bronze Age Batman.

I'm a big fan of the larger omnibuses and trades DC publishes, though I wish they would tighten their quality control with publishing mistakes and omissions. They also crippled the recent Batgirl omnibus with fewer issues, which I was really looking forward to before it came out. Too soon?
Old 01-16-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great list. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-17-18, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everything Tom King has written. The end.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.