Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 03-08-18, 12:43 AM   #26
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Stan Lee Turns 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
There's a fight brewing between Stan's daughter and Max Anderson, the long time bodyguard, with a lot comic personalities coming out on the side of Anderson, who is being smeared in the press. Whatever side is right, this is sad because Stan's dealing with pneumonia and is being isolated from pretty much everyone but his daughter. Either Max was taking advantage of him for a long time or his daughter is looking to secure the estate.
It's hard to tell what's going on and who's side to believe.

My guess is his daughter may have secured power of attorney over him.

On One side you have Stan's daughter J.C.....

Stan probably supported his daughter all her life as she dabbled in theater and painting abstracts.

She's his only living decendant and likely the sole or main heir to his fortune.

As the most likely heir, she would not need to forge the checks and condo purchases since the money would be hers soon anyways.

If all she cared about was getting all her father's money, she would not try and prevent him from appearing at conventions at each one would net Stan $750K to $1 million for a weekend.

On the other side you have Max

Max has been Stan's assistant for many years, at least since 2004.

He goes with Stan just about everywhere and gets him to places on time.

I've dealt with Max in private settings and know he thinks of him as a guy would about his elderly grandfather. He is definetly very close to Stan and possibly closer than Stan is to his daughter.

Max is likely the one that comes up with most of the Stan Lee merchandise ideas...the buttons, variant covers, guitars, skateboards, etc.

Max is an excon mostly for domestic violence issues.

If you've seen him on the convention floor you will most likely think he is rude or very gruff. Sometimes he has to deal with pushy fans, keep the long lines moving. Other times he may just be moody. When I got to know him off the convention floor he seemed fairly decent, much more friendly, and always gave me some good deals on merchandise and would always make sure I got the opportunity for the meeting with Stan even if it wasn't the day that was originally planned.

He definetly seems burned out and exhausted quite often. The conventions are grueling for many of the guests and Stan is by far the busiest booth at any con, so it requires coordination with a larger staff of people and volunteers.

When I've done a few private meetings with Stan, the money is handed to Max and it is on a pure cash basis. I don't know how Max handles the cash payments at private meetings, but I doubt Stan pays attention to how much money is aquired at them when he makes up to a million a weekend anyway. Stan would likely not notice if someone paid cash for a meeting and that money never showed up in their business account as he may have a number of meetings outside of conventin hours. Not saying that it wouldn't but the potential is there if one were to choose to do so.

When money is involved, people can get greedy regardless of the relationships they have. Families will fight over inheritences and others may try to steal or take advantage of the elderly or dying.

In any event, I hope Stan gets better and they get everything settled. Would love to see Stan one more time. I was planning to go to D.C. to see him at the end of this month, but his appearance was cancelled not long after the whole altercation on the news with Stan's daughter and Max
Old 03-08-18, 03:12 PM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Many elderly people get very close to their caretakers. I'm assuming Stan's daughter is taking legal advice from somewhere if there is serious money involved.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 03-08-18, 04:50 PM   #28
DVD Talk Legend

Stan's daughter may just want Stan to wind down his appearances. He's 95. He gets tired easy. I've heard from several comic promoters that he has borderline dementia which is why he was supposed to retire from the convention circuit at the end of last year. That all changed after Joanie's death.

Stan has money in the bank. He doesn't need to do this anymore. I'd like to think his daughter is reigning all this in so Stan can enjoy the remainder of his life in peace.

"Well time travel's confusing. I remember tomorrow like it was yesterday."
Old 03-08-18, 05:13 PM   #29
DVD Talk Legend

That may be true, but it doesn't seem like Max would've pushed Stan to keep doing it to the point where they got estranged, so I still think something is fishy either way.

I mean you have Neal Adams, J Scott Campbell, Peter David, Mark Waid, Humberto Ramos, and the Green Power Ranger (hey, he does a lot of cons) expressing concern and pretty much vouching for Max's relationship with Stan. So like I said, sad either way, whether Max took them all for a ride or he's being shut out.
Old 03-08-18, 07:28 PM   #30
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
Stan has money in the bank. He doesn't need to do this anymore. I'd like to think his daughter is reigning all this in so Stan can enjoy the remainder of his life in peace.
Yeah, the whole thing seems strange.

Presumably, Stan is pretty wealthy. He's 95 years old and doesn't have a lot of time left, so it's not like he needs money. I don't understand why he's going to all of these cons and signing autographs. Seems like he's either being manipulated by someone to keep a gravy train rolling as long as they can, he's trying to raise as much money as he can to pass on to his children and grandchildren, or he actually enjoys the attention and getting out of the house. I'm not close enough to the situation to know what's really going on.

The situation reminds me of what happened to Frank Frazetta in his final days.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-09-18, 12:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah, the whole thing seems strange.

Presumably, Stan is pretty wealthy. He's 95 years old and doesn't have a lot of time left, so it's not like he needs money. I don't understand why he's going to all of these cons and signing autographs. Seems like he's either being manipulated by someone to keep a gravy train rolling as long as they can, he's trying to raise as much money as he can to pass on to his children and grandchildren, or he actually enjoys the attention and getting out of the house. I'm not close enough to the situation to know what's really going on.

The situation reminds me of what happened to Frank Frazetta in his final days.
When I saw Stan in 2014 he was very energetic and lively and constantly cracking jokes. He was very much in control of most things then. He did what he wanted to do at the cons.

When I saw him last year in 2017 at a convention, it was very different. He appeared much weaker and very tired. Instead of Stan being in control of what he was doing at the convention, it appeared to me that he was a puppet and there were several others in his posse that were controlling the strings. They were absolutely trying to keep the gravy train going and it seemed Stan was doing whatever they told him to do.

With that being said when some people retire they want to putter around in their garden. Some will buy an RV and travel around the country. Others will hang around McDonalds for hours and complain about politicians full time. Going to conventions was to Stan what gardening is to other retirees. He thrived off the enthusiasm, positive energy, and adoration of the fans. He seems to want to feel needed and doesn't want to lose his usefulness. He doesn't need the money; he's worth over $50 million. I've heard he donates a lot of his income to a few charities. I don't think taking isolating him from the public and his friends will be good for him. He needs to slow down but not stop completely.
Old 03-10-18, 03:16 PM   #32
DVD Talk Legend

He's always been an attention hog. That's not a secret.

But he probably does need to slow down even if he still enjoys doing the circuit. His body and mind just can't keep up even though he has to be one of the most enthusiastic 95 year-olds ever.

I love the guy and hope he lives to be 120 if he is in decent health and can make it.
Old 03-11-18, 01:04 AM   #33
DVD Talk Hero

‘Picked Apart by Vultures’: The Last Days of Stan Lee

Quote:
“It’s a real fucking mess over there. I think his money will be gone in a few weeks.”
Long article. One big, sad mess.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 03-11-18, 09:46 AM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah was just about to post that. Looks like Stan and his daughter are being taken by every con man they can.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 03-11-18, 01:23 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Fucking sad. Wish someone could get in there and get the leeches out.
Old 03-11-18, 08:26 PM   #36
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is sad... I know there are mixed feelings about Stan's legacy amongst many comics fans, but you can't deny his voice and his salesmanship are a big part of what made Marvel Marvel. And all that aside, it's sad to see someone who's obviously in a decline being taken advantage of.
Old 03-12-18, 08:42 PM   #37
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would hope that someone at Marvel (Studios or Comics - or both) does something to make sure that Stan is OK and doesn't lose all his money. They could hire lawyers and investigators and help Stan go after anyone who has cheated him out of his money - if Stan and his daughter go along with that.

It sounds like he is declining cognitively and needs help from people who really have his best interests in mind. I would think his daughter does, but it sounds like she's not very savvy herself.
Old 03-12-18, 09:48 PM   #38
DVD Talk Legend

If you follow the stories, though, the person the article is basically calling a leach is the same guy people like Mark Waid and Peter David are saying is Stan's best friend and who should be around him. So it's a complicated issue.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-13-18 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-13-18, 10:44 AM   #39
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I read that article last night. Very sad to see people taking advantage of the elderly, no matter if you like or dislike Lee.
Old 03-13-18, 06:28 PM   #40
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Vultures???

Sounds like a job for ...

If Stan were to ever lose his fortune, they could set up a GoFundMe page for him. I'm sure it would top a million bucks easily. Think of all the people in the comics and movie industries and his millions of fans around the world who would donate to the cause. Maybe I should set one up right now. I'll only take a 10 percent fee.
Old 03-28-18, 01:19 PM   #41

It's been announced that Stan will be at the Silicon Valley Comic Con on april 6-8th so I guess he is getting better. It will be interesting to see how his management team has changed or if they have settled their differences.
Old 04-02-18, 02:23 PM   #42
DVD Talk Legend

Meanwhile:

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/02/stan-l...e-stole-blood/
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 04-07-18, 11:20 PM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Meanwhile:

http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/02/stan-l...e-stole-blood/

Stan Lee's former business associate is like a vampire ... he literally sucked the blood out of Stan's body -- well, not exactly literally, but close.

Here's what we're told. The businessman went to Stan's personal nurse back in October with a forged document giving him authority to order a blood sample from the Marvel maven. Our sources claim he told the nurse to fill several vials and she obliged. We're told she took so much Stan became dizzy.

No one from Stan's camp had a clue the samples were taken, but we're told his friend and partner, Keya Morgan, recently discovered the possible foul play. We're told Stan's people believe the former business associate has commissioned pens -- presumably linked to Stan and Marvel -- and the pens have an ink substitute ... blood!!!

Stan's peeps believe the business associate plans to sell the pens for a fortune, and they want to put a stop to it STAT. So Stan's team has hired attorney Jonathan Freund to get to the bottom of the alleged plasma plot and not only file a lawsuit, but a police report as well.

Stan's team believes the former business associate also pilfered $300k from the comic legend. And they also believe the guy bought an $850k condo with Stan's money.
Holy shit that is nuts!
Old 04-10-18, 01:18 PM   #44
DVD Talk Hero

Well, this story has just taken an uglier, if unsurprising, turn:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...reator-1101229

Quote:
Signs abounded that chaos would reign if Joanie were the first to die. There was Lee’s people-pleasing habit of telling whoever was in front of him whatever they wanted to hear, his history of bad financial decisions (like never properly cashing in on Marvel) and his susceptibility to bad actors (including a doomed partnership called Stan Lee Media with Peter F. Paul, a convicted drug dealer). Add to this Lee’s Depression-bred distrust of banks, leading to rumors he’d hid millions in cash all over his property.

Joanie was always more successful at handling their unruly only daughter, with whom Stan has a powder-keg relationship. Though some with an intimate knowledge of the household speak of her vivacious spirit and kindness, the never-married J.C. also has a reputation as a prodigious shopper with an ill-tempered personality who has been kicked out of multiple businesses around Los Angeles, including, according to a dining companion at the time, the Chateau Marmont. She’s chafed at what she sees as unjust restrictions on her trust and has taken that out on her father. According to medical personnel who have cared for Lee, J.C.’s badgering, often insulting phone calls to her father (which can number in the dozens a day and which, out of a mix of guilt and love, he nearly always answers) frequently leave him hoarse from fighting. “For any little thing, she’ll argue,” says a former caregiver. “She’s very inconsiderate.”

According to household staff and business associates, there have been times when J.C.’s verbal outbursts have turned physical. One incident took place in winter 2014, explains Lee’s former business and asset manager Bradley J. Herman, after J.C. discovered that the new Jaguar convertible parked outside, which she thought had been purchased for her, was in fact only leased — and in her father’s name. Herman, in Stan’s office to handle some paperwork, recalls that the argument spiraled out of control after J.C. called her parents “fucking stupid” and Joanie told her the car was “now [Joanie’s.]”

According to Herman — whose active Hollywood client list he keeps private but who previously worked for Johnny Carson and Frank Sinatra — J.C. then roughly grabbed her mother by one arm, shoving her against a window. Joanie fell to the carpeted floor. Lee, seated in a nearby chair and looking stunned, told J.C. he was cutting her off: “I’m going to stick you in a little apartment and take away all your credit cards!” Herman recalls Lee shouting. “I’ve had it, you ungrateful bitch!” In “a rage,” J.C. took hold of Lee’s neck, slamming his head against the chair’s wooden backing. Joanie suffered a large bruise on her arm and burst blood vessels on her legs; Lee had a contusion on the rear of his skull. (J.C. has previously denied the incident.)

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 04-10-18, 01:43 PM   #45
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw the video on Facebook of Stan signing autographs at some Con this past weekend. He really looked really tired and out of it. It's a shame that he's really being exploited by his agents and representations to crank out signatures like a factory.
Old 04-10-18, 04:01 PM   #46
DVD Talk Legend

Someone has to turn this sad turn of events into a movie.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 04-10-18, 05:31 PM   #47
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a sad mess. For such a beloved figure he sure has a horrible personal life. It would crush me if my daughter acted that way.
Old 04-10-18, 07:53 PM   #48
DVD Talk Gold Edition

His new agent is this douchebag, Keya Morgan. You can see how much of a piece of shit this guy is by looking at the CNN piece he links on his bio or by simply looking at the "co-creator with Stan Lee" line on his profile.
https://twitter.com/KeyaMorgan?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
Old 04-11-18, 07:40 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-14-18, 09:17 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend