DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Comic reader app (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/641455-comic-reader-app.html)

Timber 09-23-17 10:35 AM

Comic reader app

I'm almost positive I asked this before but it was years ago. I need a good CBR/CBZ app for IOS/Windows. It doesn't have to cross over but I would like if it did. I would like cloud services (Amazon/iCloud/Google Drive) if possible.

Any recommendations?

Just so we're on the up and up here I have the old X-Men archive disc which had the whole collection at the time so we are talking about paid for content.

fujishig 09-23-17 04:15 PM

Re: Comic reader app

Do not ever download CDisplayEX or whatever it's called. Cdisplay was my favorite, so when I went to a new Windows machine I sought out its successor. Big mistake, malware all over.

I think I currently have comicrack installed but I rarely read comics on my pc.

On iOS I have chunky (haven't bought the upgrade but it's free with basic features) and comiczeal but I've bought so much from comixology that I mainly use that.

bahgee 09-23-17 04:58 PM

I use Comic Rack and its great!

rocket1312 09-23-17 07:20 PM

I use comic rack. I mainly just use it to organize my stuff for syncing to my tablet. I don't ever read on my pc. The windows interface isn't the prettiest, but it seems to have more features than a lot of the other readers.

Timber 09-23-17 09:24 PM

I got Comic Rack on my PC but for some reason I couldn't find it in the app store which prompted this thread. I'm trying Chunky at it seems fine but I'd like to be able to organize on my computer and sync to my iPad.

Red Hood 09-24-17 09:10 PM

I use Comic Zeal and it's pretty awesome.

PhantomStranger 09-25-17 01:02 PM

I use Comic Rack and have no complaints.

Timber 09-27-17 12:28 PM

So I got Chunky and paid for Comic Zeal and I'm not seeing an easy way on either to add collections. Neither have desktop companions to organize on their either. Both seem to be good for reading and I think Zeal will have a nice sorting system but setting up either is going to be a pain.

fujishig 09-27-17 01:35 PM

I think both support iCloud Drive out of the box. Comiczeal also supports Amazon drive and Dropbox, and allows you to upload files through a web browser.

Chunky I think you need to pay for the full version and then there's support for windows and Mac folders, but I haven't tried that yet.

Red Hood 09-28-17 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 13166430)
So I got Chunky and paid for Comic Zeal and I'm not seeing an easy way on either to add collections. Neither have desktop companions to organize on their either. Both seem to be good for reading and I think Zeal will have a nice sorting system but setting up either is going to be a pain.

To add books to Comic Zeal, click the Cloud icon in the bottom menu. It will give you an IP address. Then connect your laptop to the same wifi network, go to the IP address in any browser and drop any comic you want to add to the app.

Timber 09-28-17 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 13167113)
To add books to Comic Zeal, click the Cloud icon in the bottom menu. It will give you an IP address. Then connect your laptop to the same wifi network, go to the IP address in any browser and drop any comic you want to add to the app.

That's exactly what I did, it took a while. Now to figure out if those comics are actually stored on my laptop and if so how I get them to store on iCloud or Google Drive. So far I think Zeal is the one I'll be sticking with.

bahgee 09-30-17 05:52 PM

I think none of the apps mentioned here, except Chunky, work with ios 11. That explains why Comic Rack doesnt show up in search if your are on ios 11.

Red Hood 02-02-22 02:16 PM

Any new comic book reader recommendations for the iPad? Comic Zeal hasn't been updated in years and after the iOS 15 update, it stopped working as it's supposed to.

ytrez 02-03-22 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 14052158)
Any new comic book reader recommendations for the iPad? Comic Zeal hasn't been updated in years and after the iOS 15 update, it stopped working as it's supposed to.

I just started using the free version of Panels for iPad. There's a paid version but I don't know what the upgrades in it are. I was able to flip page direction to accommodate manga reading and that was all I needed so free is fine w/ me.

TheBang 02-06-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood (Post 14052158)

Comic Zeal still works for me. The only issue I've noticed is that sometimes when going into or out of a comic, the UI freezes. The fix is to simply rotate the iPad, which makes the UI refresh and come back to life, and then you can rotate back.