Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Your Favorite Comic Book Character?

Old 09-13-17, 04:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: Your Favorite Comic Book Character?

Originally Posted by brayzie
Flaming Carrot
Cool! Maybe this came up before if you ever mentioned him, but Flaming Carrot is a favorite of mine too. In fact, my handle on bulletin boards in the pre-internet days was Flaming Carrot.
Old 09-14-17, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Old 09-15-17, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Cool! Maybe this came up before if you ever mentioned him, but Flaming Carrot is a favorite of mine too. In fact, my handle on bulletin boards in the pre-internet days was Flaming Carrot.
Yeah, I discovered the character while looking through ads in The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. He was chilling with Bat-mite, and he looked weird and cool.
It was only as an adult that I finally got a chance to read the comics.

Googling bulletin boards...
This is what it looked like?

And for those who don't know Flaming Carrot.
Old 09-15-17, 10:15 AM

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,114 Posts

I haven't read any of the new stuff, but I had a subscription to G.I. Joe when I was in preschool and Kindergarten and I learned to read with that comic book. Whether he was a toy first or not, my favorite comic book character is Snake Eyes.

Old 09-15-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

It's always been Batman for me. I know that's probably a really common answer but I've liked him for a long time. Grew up with the 66 series, the Burton and Schumacher films, and Batman: The Animated Series and became a big fan. As I got older he still holds up and has great stories both in comics and on tv/film. Also I'm a big fan of the Bat Family too.

I like a lot of other superheroes but I don't have as much attachment to others. Spider-Man comes somewhat close but I didn't have nearly the same exposure to the character until later on.
Old 09-15-17, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or

I haven't read the IDW ROM revival, but I think Marvel's version is one of the best pure superhero comics around.

Last edited by ultimaton; 09-16-17 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-15-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 970 Likes on 683 Posts

I've been thinking about this on and off since the topic was originally posted in July and I've had trouble coming up with an answer. X-Men was my first love and like just about every other 12 year old in 1992 I would have said Wolverine was my favorite, but that didn't last long. I kind of love Jean Grey as written by Claremont, but once she was resurrected and more or less became the team mom, she kind of sucked. In fact the more I think about it, the more I realize I just like certain versions of characters and there's not really one that stands above the rest.
Old 09-15-17, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez

Kevin Matchstick and Nexus. I think we started reading comics at the same time. I bought complete runs of Badger and Grendel, too.

Death from Sandman is the most likeable. But I have to choose Batman. Writers have been making Batman stories for eighty years, and they can still find interesting things to do with the character.
Old 09-16-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

For favorite superheroes it's Batman and Spider-man.

Batman has probably the most well-written stories of DC and Marvel's characters.
When the '89 movie came out my parents bought me Tales of the Dark Knight: Batman's First Fifty Years. All his adventures looked awesome, even the crazy sci-fi ones that supposedly are so bad.

And for Spider-man, I can read just about any issue from any era and enjoy it. Peter Parker is easy to relate to, great rogues gallery, great supporting cast, and I liked how it felt like this great saga unfolding. With DC they reboot every so often. With Spider-man though, events had lasting effects. Peter went to college, dropped out, got married, his friend Harry got married too and started a family. Then Harry went crazy and died. Felicia moved on and got with Flash Thompson. Aunt Mary passed away, but revealed to Peter that she knew all along that he was Spider-man.
Old 09-16-17, 09:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Old 09-17-17, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post