Reload this Page >

Record Price for a Modern Comic-- Amazing Spider-man #300

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 07-05-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts

I think this may be a record price for a regular edition of modern comic (copper age).

Amazing Spider-man #300 CGC 9.9 $13,500

Seems a ridiculous price for a book that should be in plentiful supply even in that condition. CGC has 10 listed at that grade, but there's bound to be hundreds of others that haven't even been graded yet. I have one that looks perfect and should grade a 9.8 if not more. Maybe it's time to get mine graded.

Anyone know of any higher priced copper age sale for a regular edition comic?
Old 07-05-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Record Price for a Modern Comic-- Amazing Spider-man #300

Here's a 9.8 for $2K.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?It...vOUaAuMf8P8HAQ

I find it hard to believe .1 better got another $11K. Is this ASKING or SOLD price?
Old 07-05-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Here's a 9.8 for $2K.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?It...vOUaAuMf8P8HAQ

I find it hard to believe .1 better got another $11K. Is this ASKING or SOLD price?
That one's a CBSC graded copy. Don't know how well their grading process is, but they're not as recognized as CGC. I don't know why people will use their services if they're planning to selll the books. CGc will alway get a higher price even IF the CBSC does a better grading job.

it seems a CGC 9.8 goes between $2,000-$2,500. For investment purposes, I would rather buy 6 CGC 9.8's than one 9.9 copy. I really feel this book is way overpriced even at $500. The print runs were really high on these back in the day and it's a fairly recent book when collecting/ bagging and boarding was at its peak.

I just sent off my Amazing Spider-man #121 to have it pressed and graded. Stan signed it at the Awesome Con in D.C. last month. The main thing wrong with it is that it has a pencilled arrival date on the cover, but that is usually ignored by CGC when grading for that era of books. I'm hoping it comes back a 9.6 but I'm expecting a 9.4 on it. I only paid $28 for it in 1989 or 1990 and though my friend had stolen it on me years ago. I just found it last year in my garage underneath a bunch of football cards. I guess he just hid it on me. I never thought I would see the book again and it went through multiple moves before being rediscovered.
Old 07-05-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder what a gem mint CGC 10 would sell for if one was ever graded that high and offered for sale. For the price of these high grade copies, I would rather buy a mid grade Amazing Fantasy 15 or other legacy type book.
Old 07-05-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Interesting info, thanks.
Old 07-05-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the first TMNT went for $27K; still overpriced but a much more worthy book due to rarity and cultural significance. I did see a Walking Dead #1 go for $17K. Thats definetly over the top considering that 10-15 years from now the show will be a relic and people will have long since moved on to some different TV show.
Old 07-05-17, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully, by that time, Milk n Cheese will be all the rage. I have them all.
Old 07-10-17, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I imagine that it was signed by Stan Lee and McFarlane, right?

I'm not surprised about this book going for so high in that condition. That is one of the books that has crossed over from speculation to becoming a historical book in our industry. It's the first full appearance of Venom, has one the most classic covers drawn by one of the most famous artist in the industry ever and even though there are tons of this book available, there aren't that many with in true great condition (9.8 or above).
Old 07-10-17, 10:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Hype
Hopefully, by that time, Milk n Cheese will be all the rage. I have them all.
First printings were quite pricey last I checked. Great stuff, and should easily be worth ten times a shitty mass produced Marvel book from that time period.
Old 07-10-17, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I imagine that it was signed by Stan Lee and McFarlane, right?

I'm not surprised about this book going for so high in that condition. That is one of the books that has crossed over from speculation to becoming a historical book in our industry. It's the first full appearance of Venom, has one the most classic covers drawn by one of the most famous artist in the industry ever and even though there are tons of this book available, there aren't that many with in true great condition (9.8 or above).
This one was unsigned. Signed ones at 9.4-9.6 seem to go for about 30-40% more. Not sure if it would be worth more when you get to 9.9 to 10.0 books though. Those collectors might not want the signatures on them if they are trying to get to gem mint.

This book does have a classic cover and it's an early Mcfarlane issue who. revolutioned how Spider-man was drawn and the comic art form in general. His art may not look as unique today, but that is because so many other artists used it as a springboard for them to develop their own style. Same with Rob Liefeld in a way. I just feel Venom is way over rated as a character. But the bigger part is I have a hard time believing that any book that came out since I started collecting (1981) could reach this iconic status.

Last edited by movieguru; 07-10-17 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I suspect someone thinks the upcoming Venom movie will make his critical issues pop in value. That is the main reason to invest so much money into a modern book.