DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   New Walmart Comic Packs hitting the shelves (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/634276-new-walmart-comic-packs-hitting-shelves.html)

mrhan 05-10-16 09:51 AM

New Walmart Comic Packs hitting the shelves

Anyone see these yet? Pics on link.

https://comicsheatingup.net/2016/05/...g-the-shelves/

Walmart recently dabbed their toes in the comic arena with DC packs of comics that contained reprints of New 52 books as well as other DC books. I received an email from a regular reader who is also a Sales Rep (name with held for privacy) who stated Marvel packs are hitting the shelves including classic Marvel Books.

This morning they were putting out these comic packs in the sports card area. $5.00 for 4 comics, but you can see pretty much what’s in there.
Mostly usual overstock, but I did get the two Spiderman Obama variants, no longer hot of course, they came bagged & boarded with a couple packs of Marvel VS. cards, which were not in the other bag.

I did get a mint Cable #1, but the score was the three Amazing Spider-Mans 296, 308, & 316 which is I believe the first Venom cover. All mint so a heads up that these are out there, maybe some good scores to be found. Package says there are 500 key issues including Silver Age randomly inserted.

DVD Josh 05-10-16 10:21 AM

Re: New Walmart Comic Packs hitting the shelves

$5 for 4 books? Sounds like most of the stuff in these thing is stuff I can get at show for $1 for 4 books.

davidh777 05-10-16 10:26 AM

So the Marvel issues are originals, not reprints like the New 52?

PhantomStranger 05-10-16 02:51 PM

I actually discovered this for myself on Sunday. Right by the checkout aisle where the baseball cards are usually kept. It's one small display of bagged comics. Yes, I did pick up one set. I couldn't help myself.

My four issues:

Top Dog #1 (1985)
Fantastic Four #285 (80% of the reason I bought this pack despite owning the Byrne omnibuses)
Punisher/Captain America: Blood & Glory Book II
Fourth printing of the Spider-Man Obama issue w/ two packs of VS cards.

There were similiar packs with DC comics, mostly New 52 issues from what I could tell.

davidh777 05-10-16 03:04 PM

I bet this whole thing is just to get rid of the Obama issues. ;)

rocket1312 05-10-16 03:26 PM

I haven't bought a floppy in 10 years and can read just about anything worth reading in one of these packs on Marvel Unlimited, but the kid in me is just dying to get some. Nostalgia is a heck of a thing.

Trevor 05-19-16 10:12 PM

Comic book groups on Facebook are literally blowing up with talk of these packs. Bought a couple on a whim the other day, but after peaking at the issues without opening them I'll be returning them. Nothing I really want, or worth more than a quarter.

And these people on Facebook are easily pleased. Nothing I've seen posted is all that great. I'd rather spend the $5 on books I really want, than a grab bag of 90s crap. But I guess random buys have an element of fun.

jjcool 05-20-16 11:12 AM

Was in a Wlamrt Wednesday night and looked for these. The usual card section by the registers had been taken over by fireworks. THe guy I asked about it thought that they did not carry cards and comics anymore as that inventory was handled by a different company. I thought it was BS, and looked around but never did find them.

PhantomStranger 05-21-16 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12806565)
Comic book groups on Facebook are literally blowing up with talk of these packs. Bought a couple on a whim the other day, but after peaking at the issues without opening them I'll be returning them. Nothing I really want, or worth more than a quarter.

And these people on Facebook are easily pleased. Nothing I've seen posted is all that great. I'd rather spend the $5 on books I really want, than a grab bag of 90s crap. But I guess random buys have an element of fun.

It's just strange seeing comic books inside a Walmart. I never really visited Walmart before the mid-90s, they've been free of comic books as long as I can remember. I think it's mildly interesting to see comics in a place you don't expect. I like the exposure it gives comics to customers that haven't visited a comic book store.

My guess is that these packs didn't show up at every location. Walmart has gotten very cagey about strategically spreading out products between different stores. The two Walmarts closest to me never get anything cool like these comic packs. I always have to go the one another ten miles away.