DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   More than $200,000 in Silver Age Comics Stolen from Comic Book Store (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/633742-more-than-%24200-000-silver-age-comics-stolen-comic-book-store.html)

PhantomStranger 03-29-16 12:41 AM

More than $200,000 in Silver Age Comics Stolen from Comic Book Store

http://arstechnica.com/the-multivers...mic-book-shop/

A comic book shop in Macon, GA called Comics Plus had over $200,000 in graded Silver Age issues stolen. The comments at the link have some very interesting discussions on a comic book store's security system and the potential market for these books.

The biggest names in the stolen merchandise were the first eight issues of Justice League of America as well as the first 20 issues of X-Men, graded by CGC.

Some in the comments seem to blame the store owner, which I think is unfortunate.

Bronkster 03-29-16 03:55 PM

Re: More than $200,000 in Silver Age Comics Stolen from Comic Book Store

That sucks. If most of the books were slabbed, they may be traceable when the thieves attempt to sell 'em.

Some of the comments were pretty good.

Obviously they intend to melt them down to sell the raw materials.

Comic books have serial numbers?
Yeah. For a time in the 90s the most common number was 1.
:lol:

Josh-da-man 03-29-16 04:19 PM

CGC'ed books are bar-coded on the 'slab,' aren't they? They should be traceable as long as the thief doesn't remove them from the slab.

DVD Josh 03-29-16 04:33 PM

Yeah, for some reason they think the thieves will try to sell them graded. No way. They will unseal them and sell them bare.

Inhumans99 03-29-16 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12763633)
Yeah, for some reason they think the thieves will try to sell them graded. No way. They will unseal them and sell them bare.

The sad thing is that the thieves will not care that they will probably cause additional damage to the books when they de-slab them (my understanding is that it can be tricky to remove a book from its case without causing additional stress to the comic).

stingermck 03-29-16 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 (Post 12763703)
The sad thing is that the thieves will not care that they will probably cause additional damage to the books when they de-slab them (my understanding is that it can be tricky to remove a book from its case without causing additional stress to the comic).

Ive popped several slabs, with no damage to the comic. Very easy to do.

PhantomStranger 03-29-16 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12763633)

The comments at the link seemed to suggest the thieves would unslab the graded comics and then re-submit them to CGC in a few years.

The way the theft went down, it looks like the thieves knew exactly what they were going after and were familiar with the store's inventory.

mrhan 03-30-16 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12763803)
The way the theft went down, it looks like the thieves knew exactly what they were going after and were familiar with the store's inventory.

Yeah, it doesn't sound random. The books will never be recovered.

DVD Josh 03-30-16 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 12764594)
Yeah, it doesn't sound random. The books will never be recovered.

I just hope they are read and cherished like where meant to, and not hermetically sealed like Eddie Money's penis.

Eric F 03-31-16 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 12764659)
I just hope they are read and cherished like where meant to, and not hermetically sealed like Eddie Money's penis.

I'd pay Money to see that.:lol:

mrhan 04-04-16 11:18 AM

On a related note:

http://comicsheatingup.net/2016/04/0...st/#more-13989

Karma (and Stupidity) Leads to Comic Shop Burglar Arrest

I know we all hate it, hearing a comic shop was broken into and burglarized. Valuable collectibles stolen to never be recovered. Not to mention, even if the shop is insured, replacing the comics can be very hard. That is why this story made me smile.

A thief who broke into a Jefferson County comic book shop was arrested after police said the suspect left evidence for them to track.

The owners of All the Rage Comics and Games in Festus said a burglar hit their store early Tuesday morning by busting through a backdoor. The thief stole a laptop, a cash register, two KISS action figures and assorted Pokemon cards.

Owners Jason Hughes and Brandon Williams said the not-so-super villain left a special gift behind: a cellphone and pack of cigarettes.

“When police were investigating, the cellphone actually rang. It lit up because it was face up. When it stopped (ringing) it went to the lock screen, which showed a man’s face on it,” Hughes said. “Not only do you leave your cellphone behind, but you have a picture of yourself flexing like, ‘This is my background picture because I’m all that.’ It’s like, ‘You’re all that headed to jail.’”

Police arrested the suspect and found some of the store owners’ merchandise. Hughes and Williams are in the process of upgrading their security system. The thief only got away with $35 in cash.