Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

GI Joe question?

Old 06-17-24, 01:02 PM

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,254 Posts
Re: GI Joe question?

I have actually thought about buying this, but is a book that size even readable?! Like, on a practical scale, what is it like to even read it?!
Old 06-17-24, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,096 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
OK, it's eight years later, and I still haven't read GI Joe, but then this compendium Kickstarter pops up, and I'm definitely interested. The first issue is available digitally so I bought it and liked it. I could just get the first compendium, but it seems like why not go all in? Nine days to go, and that's how I'm leaning.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...compendium-set

I'd say if you think you'll like the series and really want hardcovers, then the kickstarter is the way to go. But the volumes will be released to retail individually in paperback if you want to tread more carefully. They'll also be available digitally. I can't remember exactly how far into the series I read, but I know I got pretty close to #100. I believe most fans consider the first few years of the series to be the best. I never stopped enjoying it during the time I was reading, but you really start to see the negative effects of the marketing demands placed on the series after a while. Anytime new toys were released, those characters/vehicles were forced into the series, usually at the expense of better established characters. Larry Hama made miracles happen by getting it to work as well as it did, but it was hard not to imagine "what if?" I guess my point is, if you just wanted to test the waters, the first volume is pretty much the best stuff (although extending it to #55 would truly be the best of the best IMO). If you love it, at the very least you'll probably like the rest. If you don't, just know that it won't really get any better.

The other thing to consider is that the files Skybound is using for printing are likely the same files IDW had, and they're pretty garbagey compared to Marvel Masterwork quality. There is speculation that Marvel may have made a deal to give the series the full blown Masterworks quality restoration. As far as I can tell, this speculation is based purely on an offhand comment Omar whats-his-name made on his Youtube show. I'm not sure it passes the sniff test, but I'm far less plugged into that world than I used to be, so take my opinion for what it's worth (which is almost nothing).

Originally Posted by story
I have actually thought about buying this, but is a book that size even readable?! Like, on a practical scale, what is it like to even read it?!
I love the omnibus format. I have dozens of them. That said, they're not for everyone. They're not easy to transport and you can't really read them unless you have a surface to place them on. The other thing to consider is the quality of the binding. I don't have any comparable volumes from Image, so I'm not really up to date on their quality. Bottom line is on a book like this you need it to have a loose binding that will allow the book to lay flat under it's own weight. Otherwise it can be a pain to read. These GI Joe books are also standard comic size, unlike Marvel and DC omnibi, which are oversized. The oversized format is one of things that makes these kinds of books appealing to me and goes a long way to mitigate some of the negative aspects of the format. These being standard sized makes the paperbacks a much more viable option in my mind. But that's just me.
The following 3 users liked this post by rocket1312:
davidh777 (06-17-24), PhantomStranger (06-17-24), story (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 901 Likes on 760 Posts

Many people read the giant omnibuses resting on pillows. It's not something you can just hold in your hands for long stretches. Some buy special pedestals designed for larger book reading ($50 and up) if they are omnibus collectors.

I'd say most people get used to the larger sizes but it's also why some prefer smaller "deluxe" branded hardcovers which don't cover as much material per book. For example Invincible runs 3 compendiums of this size or 12 smaller deluxe hardcovers.

But collectible value holds much better in the omnibus size unless Marvel ever got the rights back to do full-blown omnibus-style restorations.
The following users liked this post:
story (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 03:57 PM

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Thank you, that's helpful. I posted the same question twice in the Toy thread and didn't get a reply.

I'm concerned that for $350 shipped, these omnibuses may be tough to actually read. They're not oversized, they don't show how they're going to lay flat or anything about the binding, and it just seems so unwieldy. If I can't actually read it in a relaxed way, I don't know that it's for me.

And I LOVE this comic. I learned to read on this comic.
Old 06-17-24, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Oops, sorry I thought someone did say something about the omnibus format in the other thread when you asked, story.

But yeah, not easy to read and if you just want to read not collect it, there will be other, probably cheaper methods to do so. I'm in the same boat as well. I said it in the other thread but the urge to collect this goes down the drain a little when I'm only going to get one version unless I want a duplicate, and if I just want to re-read these I can probably just wait. Still tempting though.
Old 06-17-24, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts

My bad, I didn't realize the KS was already being discussed in the toy thread. I did search for "Joe Real" but didn't click into all the results.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of superthick books, but I was able to read those giant Batman Knightfall paperback compendiums just by placing them in my lap on a plane to Hawaii for several hours. I do think a hardcover would be better, and I feel like this is something I've been missing out on for all these years, and kinda just want to jump in.
Old 06-17-24, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
My bad, I didn't realize the KS was already being discussed in the toy thread. I did search for "Joe Real" but didn't click into all the results.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of superthick books, but I was able to read those giant Batman Knightfall paperback compendiums just by placing them in my lap on a plane to Hawaii for several hours. I do think a hardcover would be better, and I feel like this is something I've been missing out on for all these years, and kinda just want to jump in.
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong editions, but these GI Joe volumes are like the size of those Knightfall volumes combined. They are going to be way heavier.
Old 06-17-24, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thank you, that's helpful. I posted the same question twice in the Toy thread and didn't get a reply.

I'm concerned that for $350 shipped, these omnibuses may be tough to actually read. They're not oversized, they don't show how they're going to lay flat or anything about the binding, and it just seems so unwieldy. If I can't actually read it in a relaxed way, I don't know that it's for me.

And I LOVE this comic. I learned to read on this comic.
Most of the time in these size collections the book will lay mostly flat. This publisher Skybound has done compendiums of other material before, which should give you feedback on how they read at this size. I imagine they'll "read" much like the Invincible hardcover compendiums. Read reviews of those if you want an idea of what you're in for.
The following users liked this post:
story (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Most of the time in these size collections the book will lay mostly flat. This publisher Skybound has done compendiums of other material before, which should give you feedback on how they read at this size. I imagine they'll "read" much like the Invincible hardcover compendiums. Read reviews of those if you want an idea of what you're in for.
That's a good point. If you're near a book store or a comic shop, it might be worth checking out and seeing if they have a copy of one of those Invincible HC volumes. They should be very similar in size.
Old 06-17-24, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Big books like this can be cumbersome to read. Your best bet is to read them lying down with the book flat on a surface; lying in bed, with your chest propped up on a pillow is a good option.

I scanned the Kickstarter page and couldn't find anything about how they'll be bound. Big books like this, you generally want to be sewn and not glued. A good quality sewn binding will open flat, while a glued binding is like a paperback and wants to stay shut unless you crack the binding -- which you don't want to do.

Also, when dealing with big books like this, it's best to either store them flat, or with some kind of support under the pages because the pages are heavy and pull against the binding and sag when stored upright. (I've been doing what is described in this reddit for my omnibuses since I started buying them. I've had more than a few thick hardcover books like Stephen King's The Stand and Clive Barker's Imajica have pages sag, and didn't want that to happen to these even heavier and more expensive books.)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-17-24 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-17-24, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I store almost all of my omnibuses horizontally. Doesn't look as cool but it's better in the long run for the largest omnibuses.
Old 06-19-24, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I backed the Joe 1-4 set. I just felt like I was going to miss out if I didn't. They probably will be too big to read comfortably, but I'll figure that out later. The package incudes PDFs so I can always read those if necessary. Those by themselves would've been $120 so I can kind of justify to myself the physical set with the bonus physical rewards.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong editions, but these GI Joe volumes are like the size of those Knightfall volumes combined. They are going to be way heavier.
You may be right. I think of those Knightfall as 500 pages each, but these are 1200. Yikes.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
That's a good point. If you're near a book store or a comic shop, it might be worth checking out and seeing if they have a copy of one of those Invincible HC volumes. They should be very similar in size.
The Invincible softcover compendiums I've seen in stores are really big. My LCS had another compendium of the Invincible spinoff universe that seemed a lot more manageable so I thought about getting it, but then I remembered I didn't actually like some of those spinoff series I'd read.
Old 06-20-24, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

BTW, it seems like cheapgraphicnovels has preorders for this kickstarter as well.

https://cheapgraphicnovels.com/?targ...ium+hc+box+set

They will probably close the same time as the kickstarter, but they might be better for shipping. Says it includes all kickstarter extras, so this is not just the retailers version.

edited to add: they say you can save 35 bucks on the shipped price going through them.

I do see on a reddit comment that they might not have a way to distribute the pdf so that's probably a dealbreaker:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OmnibusColl...um_hc_box_set/

Last edited by fujishig; 06-20-24 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-20-24, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Kickstarter has a retailer discount so maybe it's just a matter of what they want to buy. CGN makes no mention of the PDF so I would assume it's not included. U.S. shipping on the KS is $50. The PDF as a stand-alone item is $120. I assume that'll hit retail at some point as well but who knows at what price. Retail paperbacks are supposed to be $65.