Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Collection Software?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comic Book Collection Software?

Just wondering if anyone here uses any type of comic book collection software. And, if so, which one. Having everything in longboxes is great for storage but awful for keeping track of what you have. I was thinking of going the software route to inventory everything. But, with there being a few different ones out there, I thought I'd see if anyone here used any of them and what they thought of them.
Old 11-13-15, 10:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: Comic Book Collection Software?

I think we have a thread on this already. I'll search in a minute
Old 11-13-15, 10:05 AM

There are a couple other threads, but here is the recent one.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...-software.html
Old 11-13-15, 10:11 AM

Thanks. Actually did a search after your first reply and was finishing up that thread as you were typing the 2nd response. What did you settle on? I saw you were leaning towards FileMaker Pro.
Old 11-13-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Been using the CLZ (collectorz) app for my phone and the software on the computer for years. Never had the desire to look around for anything else since the CLZ fits my needs perfectly. Online backup to the cloud is very nice for jumping between platforms to sync my collection.

Don't recall exact price, but the phone or tablet app is only like $10.

Makes checking your haves/needs at comic shows very easy especially looking at photos of the covers when it comes to the many variants to weed through. My friend also uses it and we are asked about it just about every time we're at a show. He likes using the barcode scan with his phone.

I'd recommend it for the price & portability. Disclaimer: Never tried any other product.

Last edited by dfmaverick2; 11-13-15 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-13-15, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely take a look.
Old 11-13-15, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by cfmoran13
Thanks. Actually did a search after your first reply and was finishing up that thread as you were typing the 2nd response. What did you settle on? I saw you were leaning towards FileMaker Pro.
Nothing yet. I think I've reached the point where the prospect of entering everything is too daunting. I'll just spend my life occasionally buying duplicates.
Old 11-15-15, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I use Comic Collectorz and it's pretty great. I have the computer software and the iPhone app and they work amazingly, specially with Modern Age comic books that have UPCs.

I have a similar question though: Does anyone know if there is an app or software to catalogue toys and statues? I want to organize my collection of toys and statues the same way I organize my collection of comic books and movies, but can't find a software/app for it.
Old 11-16-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood

I have a similar question though: Does anyone know if there is an app or software to catalogue toys and statues? I want to organize my collection of toys and statues the same way I organize my collection of comic books and movies, but can't find a software/app for it.
If all else fails you can modify any collectorz software to catalog any type of collection. You would have to enter each item manually and import your own pictures. Although you can't rename the data fields you can alter their purpose to fit your needs. You can create two of your own fields with User Lookup 1 and 2.
You can run more than one database from a collectorz product. Create a new database with it's own desktop logo and rename it Toy Collector, etc.
Old 11-16-15, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
If all else fails you can modify any collectorz software to catalog any type of collection. You would have to enter each item manually and import your own pictures. Although you can't rename the data fields you can alter their purpose to fit your needs. You can create two of your own fields with User Lookup 1 and 2.
You can run more than one database from a collectorz product. Create a new database with it's own desktop logo and rename it Toy Collector, etc.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-06-15, 11:42 PM
Banned

Has anyone used this Comic Collector Live software? I see that they have an app for Android and iOS but it seems that at least the iOS one hasn't been updated since 2010, so the app basically doesn't work on new iPhones.
http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/GetOrganized.aspx
Old 12-28-15, 10:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In the past I've used Comic Collector and ComicBase but lost my database somewhere over the years.

Last year I shed most of my collection due to a move, then lost most of my trades and hardcovers to water damage after a fire.

I've been hesitant to bite on the Collectorz App for a couple years due to the price, but I finally made the jump last week when it was on sale. I've worked my way through 3 long boxes pretty quickly. When I'm done adding everything I'll finally have a good idea of what I still have.
Old 12-31-15, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

For you Collectorz users - Do I NEED to purchase the iPhone app to check on my collection online? I really just want to buy the Desktop version for regular collection use. Not a fan of spending an additional $14 for the iPhone version. I see both versions upload to a CLZ Cloud which says you can check on your collection for free online (which would negate the iPhone app for me).

I'm looking for an online option for my collection so I don't purchase doubles of titles. Granted, it's only happened a handful of times over the past 15 years but it would be so much easier to double-check sometimes. But the amount of times I'd need to check doesn't equate to a $14 app. So can I check on my collection via the CLZ Cloud?
Old 01-01-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that CLZ provides you a web link to check your collection on the cloud, but you have to make your collection public or semi-public. I don't use the link or make mine public, so this is just what I believe to be true.
Old 01-22-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I've been playing with Collectorz for close to a month and I kinda dig it. You do not need the iPhone app to see your collection online so that's a big plus. The only daunting task is importing my collection into the system and making sure the covers I select are the correct one.
Old 01-29-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

UPDATE - I jumped in and got the standard version. They sent me a $5 off coupon so it was only $25 bucks all in. I'm use to the interface now and enjoy a lot of the features and again, I LOVE having access to what I own wherever I go.
Old 01-30-16, 11:17 AM
Banned

Collectorz just sent an email saying that they will have from now on all their apps for free but with a catch: Add money for higher database limit
US $1 - increase database limit with 100 items.
US $2- increase database limit with 250 items.
US $3- increase database limit with 500 items.
US $5- increase database limit with 1000 items.
US $8- increase database limit with 2500 items.
US $12 - increase database limit with 5000 items.
US $15 - unlimited, remove all database limits in one go.
Old 02-02-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Collectorz just sent an email saying that they will have from now on all their apps for free but with a catch: Add money for higher database limit
US $1 - increase database limit with 100 items.
US $2- increase database limit with 250 items.
US $3- increase database limit with 500 items.
US $5- increase database limit with 1000 items.
US $8- increase database limit with 2500 items.
US $12 - increase database limit with 5000 items.
US $15 - unlimited, remove all database limits in one go.
The iOS version is still showing $14.99 in the app store.
Can anyone with the Collectorz app tell me if it also does trades and collections as well?
Old 02-02-16, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jjcool
Can anyone with the Collectorz app tell me if it also does trades and collections as well?
Yes, it does. It has almost everything comic book related, including some fanzines and magazines.
Old 02-03-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Yes, it does. It has almost everything comic book related, including some fanzines and magazines.
Thank you.
Old 02-03-16, 11:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
According to their site, the "free" versions of their apps will be available with the 4.0 releases which they have submitted to Apple and should be out this week.
Old 07-05-16, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

6 months later, I'm still importing books into Collectorz. I'm about 381 titles away from moving everything over from my old File Maker catalog system. The long haul has been making sure covers match up - I may have #1 to a book but which cover did I buy?? I've grown to hate Variant covers because of this.

Here's my collection so far: COMICS!!

Yeah. I have a problem.
Old 07-06-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

It's probably been a lot of work, which is why I gave up trying to catalog my collection. I bet it does feel refreshing to scroll through everything.
Old 07-06-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm liking http://comicspriceguide.com/ so far. Their price tracking is interesting, however I think it is closer to what a shop sells a book for, not what they'd buy it from you for. But useful for getting an idea of what to dump on ebay.
Old 07-21-16, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Valeyard - thanks for posting your collection, the software looks interesting.

Couple of questions:
1. Can you enter TPBs or HCs?
2. Does it have a printing option to create a comic list?
3. Can you export to Excel?

Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.