DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Fantastic Four vol (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/628418-fantastic-four-vol.html)

terrycloth 08-31-15 02:27 PM

Fantastic Four vol

I i been slowly working my way thru the first volume of Fantastic Four as I knew nothing about this team as a kid I avoided them and found them boring.

So i read issues 1 thru 32 and enjoyed the first 15 issues or so but then began getting bored and fell off and lost interest as a lot of it became rehashing the story so far and redoing the same characterization.

I decided to read a couple more this weekend and go thru the two part dr doom battle and felt it changed it pace for the better then in single issue stories and then really been enjoying the evil ff vs ff while brainwashing the thing.

I found a lot more humor in the books especially Pete pot paste trying to be taken seriously and i even read a few pages where there was NO txt boxes.

Skimming thru the issues Im actually excited to read some inhuman/galactus stories.

What are some of the highlights of the original FF run for you

rocket1312 08-31-15 03:43 PM

Re: Fantastic Four vol

I'm reading through FF for the first time also, although I'm not as far along as you are. I mentioned this in another thread, but I'm actually attempting to read all of Marvel's output starting from FF #1 to whenever I lose interest. Compared to the other titles being put out in the 1961-1963 era, FF is far and away the crown jewel (although Spider-Man seems to be catching up quickly.) I've read the first 20 issues or so and I have to say that Annual #1 where Namor discovers his missing people and invades the surface is probably my favorite so far. The double sized length of the story actually makes for a suitably epic tale, and Namor is easily one of the best characters, never mind villains, of the early Marvel Universe. The stories with Dr. Doom are also highlights.

I will say that the stories are a bit repetitive and some of the characterization isn't so great (Sue is pretty awful). That said, it's my understanding that it takes a few years for the Lee/Kirby team to really hit their stride and that the introduction of Galactus and the Silver Surfer is when things really start to pick up.

terrycloth 08-31-15 03:52 PM

are you doing the order reading?

Thats why i started reading FF but found it too all over and couldnt keep everything in order plus i couldn't take one more solo human torch book.

I do have to go back to read the annuals as marvel unlimited wouldnt load em for some reason.

Sue i feel went from horrible to useful to annoying after the wedding like they don't quite get what to do with her yet

rocket1312 08-31-15 04:30 PM

I'm not sure which device you're reading on, but I'm reading via the Unlimited Android app, which is roughly a million times better than the web browser. You can list all titles in publication order, so it's easy to jump between series. Marvel's metadata can be a little spotty, but they seem to be cleaning a lot of it up recently (as well as filling in tons of random holes in the catalog), so I haven't run into any order problems yet.

I agree that the other titles are a little rough and I've gotten the urge to skip the rest and just concentrate on FF and Spider-Man. The Torch solo series is probably the worst one, but they're mostly short and relatively breezy, so I've been able to stick to it so far. It's also nice to break up the reading with different titles. Sometimes when I read too much of one thing in a row, I get burned out quicker.

davidh777 08-31-15 04:34 PM

Definitely stick with the series for the issues numbered in the 40s and 50s.

terrycloth 08-31-15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 12575518)
I'm not sure which device you're reading on, but I'm reading via the Unlimited Android app, which is roughly a million times better than the web browser. You can list all titles in publication order, so it's easy to jump between series. Marvel's metadata can be a little spotty, but they seem to be cleaning a lot of it up recently (as well as filling in tons of random holes in the catalog), so I haven't run into any order problems yet.

I agree that the other titles are a little rough and I've gotten the urge to skip the rest and just concentrate on FF and Spider-Man. The Torch solo series is probably the worst one, but they're mostly short and relatively breezy, so I've been able to stick to it so far. It's also nice to break up the reading with different titles. Sometimes when I read too much of one thing in a row, I get burned out quicker.

have you seen this site? http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/reading-order.php

and my tablet is down till i get a new charger so i been reading on my laptop and never had problem with MU on my tablet on the site its terrible so far

fujishig 08-31-15 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by terrycloth (Post 12575475)
are you doing the order reading?

Thats why i started reading FF but found it too all over and couldnt keep everything in order plus i couldn't take one more solo human torch book.

I do have to go back to read the annuals as marvel unlimited wouldnt load em for some reason.

Sue i feel went from horrible to useful to annoying after the wedding like they don't quite get what to do with her yet

I don't remember Sue really being able to stand on her own until Byrne wrote her and she got a subsequent power upgrade.

terrycloth 08-31-15 05:38 PM

compared to the first handful of issues where...she turned invisible and seemed to only ome to the rescue bc no one would bother to acknowledge her presence. they they added the invisible fields and trained her powers where she atleast fits in the team...then turned into an annoying housewife

mrhan 09-01-15 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12575524)

I pulled mine out a few weeks ago; just to check 'em out. The stories still sort of holds up compared to some other early 60's stories.

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/a...psqabg3j8f.jpg

Trevor 09-01-15 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by terrycloth (Post 12575553)
have you seen this site? http://cmro.travis-starnes.com/reading-order.php

and my tablet is down till i get a new charger so i been reading on my laptop and never had problem with MU on my tablet on the site its terrible so far

That's a scary site. I'm tempted to start at the beginning and power thru what I have. Maybe I can read two year's worth every year and be caught up by the time I'm 90.

rw2516 09-01-15 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12575524)

I'd included the 60s also. The Kree, Ronin and Warlock. Issues #44-72 are the real meat of the title. Issue 44 picks up as a clean start after Annual #3 which has wedding of Sue and Reed. Issue 44 begins a long stretch of continued stories and subplots that all wrap up in #72. #73 in a one-shot. #74 starts storyline with Crystal replacing Sue.

terrycloth 09-01-15 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12576339)
That's a scary site. I'm tempted to start at the beginning and power thru what I have. Maybe I can read two year's worth every year and be caught up by the time I'm 90.

It is a pretty fun list and offers variety when needed a change of pace.

some series are better for me to read a bunch at a time like FF but then once a week or so ill go thru the list and fill in gaps