DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Grant Morrison new Editor-in-chief at Heavy Metal (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/627621-grant-morrison-new-editor-chief-heavy-metal.html)

Trevor 07-07-15 07:08 AM

Grant Morrison new Editor-in-chief at Heavy Metal

This could be interesting.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...of-heavy-metal

Josh-da-man 07-07-15 07:14 AM

Re: Grant Morrison new Editor-in-chief at Heavy Metal

Now that is something unexpected. It sounds like a "Wouldn't it be cool if..." fanboy fantasy.

Can't wait to see the result.

Though I'd rather hear that he's the new Doctor Who showrunner.

Trevor 07-07-15 01:26 PM

Another anthology book with top quality creator-owned content is coming soon too. Anyone hear of this AfterShock Comics thing?

Garth Ennis, Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti and Paul Jenkins are among the first wave of writers working on creator-owned projects for publishing startup AfterShock Comics.

According to Deadline, they're joined by Justin Jordan, Frank Barbiere and Marguerite Bennett. Neil Gaiman, Jim Starlin, Amy Chu and Brian Stelfreeze have also signed on for the company's first short-story anthology.

Mike Marts left his job as executive editor at Marvel in April to help Caliber Comics veteran Joe Pruett launch AfterShock.

“When we launched AfterShock, our mission was to attract the best comic book creators in the business, and we’re beyond excited to develop original projects with these industry leaders,” Marts, the company's editor-in-chief, said in a statement. “But it’s only the beginning.”
from CBR

The Valeyard 07-07-15 05:01 PM

I heard about AfterShock on Bleeding Cool a while back. Nice to see so many name talents onboard.

As for Morrison on Heavy Metal - I'm in 110%.

Do you have a vision of where you’d like to take Heavy Metal?

I have a very distinct vision. With Heavy Metal, I’m doing the same thing I do when I’m asked to “revamp” a character like Superman or Wonder Woman; I dig back to the roots, figure out what makes the idea tick, then try to build my own “definitive” take on the material. Heavy Metal was the comic you graduated to when you got bored with superhero books, so I’m digging deep into all the other books and artists that inspired me as a teenager — the cosmic head comics of Jim Starlin and Bryan Talbot; the drawings of Guido Crepax, Esteban Maroto and Jose Gonzalez; New English Library’s Dracula magazine; New Wave science fiction — all the little tributaries and streams that, at least for me, fed visually and conceptually into the mighty river that is Heavy Metal. I’m paying a lot more attention to my wife Kristan’s ubeatable collection of industrial metal records. I want to get more musicians into the magazine and also more women. Beyond that swirling cloud of influences and initial thoughts, I can certainly promise more science fiction and more sex!

Solid Snake 07-08-15 08:34 AM

Hrmmm. Interesting.

Nick Danger 07-08-15 08:48 AM

I haven't looked at Heavy Metal since the 1980s. Their chief asset was the existence of thirty years of European comics that nobody in America had seen. They could cherry-pick the best material and amaze their readers. I wonder if that well has run dry.

fujishig 07-08-15 01:17 PM

I actually preordered an upcoming issue of Heavy Metal, my first in at least a decade, mainly because of exclusive Kirby content.

brayzie 07-08-15 08:38 PM

I bought a few Heavy Metal magazines from like 2008-2014. The magazine seemed colorful and exciting on the surface but I only one enjoyed one story about a post-apocalyptic world with a mutant cat warrior trying to find his sister. Most of the covers look the same, digital art of futuristic Red Sonja-types. Oh yeah, there was a Manera illustrated story on the Borgias which was pretty interesting.
The back issues from the 80s though are great. A lot of the covers featured sexy women but not every single issue, example. The stories seemed to be much better back then as well.
I tried out Metal Hurlant which was distributed by DC for a while, I think sometime in the early 2000s. The art and stories seemed to have more substance than their American version. "Eye of the Dawn" was one story I remember.
I haven't bought or read comics in a while so Grant Morrison running things at HM magazine is definitely a reason to start again.