DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   I found a neat little gem on Amazon Marketplace. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/626961-i-found-neat-little-gem-amazon-marketplace.html)

SkullOrchard 05-24-15 08:28 PM

I found a neat little gem on Amazon Marketplace.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psgiew4iqk.jpg

Limited edition: Two Hardcovers in slipcase.

Vol 1 signed by Alex Toth on bookplate.

#141 of 350. Perfect condition.

Amazon Marketplace: $7.81 plus $3.99 shipping.

The Valeyard 05-24-15 08:57 PM

Re: I found a neat little gem on Amazon Marketplace.

Wow! What a great price for an awesome set!

majorjoe23 05-24-15 09:44 PM

Wow, I assume they only had one?

The Cow 05-24-15 09:45 PM

Was it advertised that way?

davidh777 05-24-15 09:50 PM

Steep price for shipping when it's more than half the cost of the item. :)

Hadrian7 05-24-15 10:27 PM

You lucky dog. That is an awesome find.

SkullOrchard 05-24-15 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12490821)
Wow, I assume they only had one?

Yes, only one. The seller was a comic book shop.

SkullOrchard 05-24-15 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12490822)
Was it advertised that way?

Yes, the description was exactly as quoted.

Limited edition: Two Hardcovers in slipcase.

Vol 1 signed by Alex Toth on bookplate.

#141 of 350. Perfect condition.
This set was published in 1988. 27 years old, and it doesn't appear to have ever been read. It's absolutely flawless.

SkullOrchard 05-24-15 11:16 PM

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Toth

PhantomStranger 05-25-15 12:23 AM

Alex Toth was a brilliant, brilliant artist and character designer. He's a big reason why the Super Friends became stuck in the public consciousness.

That's an incredible deal you got, which is rarer on a place like Amazon.

Trevor 05-25-15 06:14 AM

I've often been tempted to scour the details of every used listing of books like this on Amazon, hoping for such a gem, but figured it'd just be a windmill.

mrhan 05-25-15 10:05 AM

Wow! Awesome find!

I just checked ebay and it's going for around $30 -$50. So, you obviously got a nice deal!

The Valeyard 05-25-15 02:08 PM

So... does this particular Marketplace have anything else?

rw2516 05-25-15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12490884)
Alex Toth was a brilliant, brilliant artist and character designer. He's a big reason why the Super Friends became stuck in the public consciousness.

That's an incredible deal you got, which is rarer on a place like Amazon.

Wasn't he also behind mid-sixties Hanna-Barbera stuff like Space Ghost, Birdman, Herculoids, Mitor, etc.

Paul_SD 05-25-15 05:00 PM

Nice score SO. I would have been all over that if I'd known about it.
Toth is absolutely my favorite comic book artist/storyteller and has been since the late 80's ever since I considered a career in the field. While I'm not as fond of the Zorro stuff as I am for most of his other work, I would still rate it higher than 95% of what's out there. He never fails to entertain, or tell a story well. And there is still plenty there that aspiring comic book artists could pick up if they study it.
For long time, it was one of the only collections you could readily find of his work which made it a premium go-to book if you were trying to study him.
25+ years later there's a wealth of good material, well presented, out there now led by the massive three volume IDW biography/monograph along with all of his trendsetting work for Standard Comics in the 50's from FB.
But I would still love to have a nicely bound set of the Zorro's (not to mention the signed bookplate for an insanely low price!)

Supposedly IDW is also planning a deluxe release of Bravo For Adventure, which was a labor of love for him and first collected by Dragon Lady Press in the late 80's. It's a great graphic novel with an aviator hero clearly modeled (visually) after Erroll Flynn. It's also got some of the best sequential panel layout/composition I've ever read. Not a real surprise coming from Toth, but even then I would rate it as some of his best work.
Definitely something to keep an eye out for.

And yes rw2516, Toth created thousands of pages of model sheets while at H-B. His was the prime hand in setting a visual standard for most of their output.

Inhumans99 05-27-15 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 12491014)
Wow! Awesome find!

I just checked ebay and it's going for around $30 -$50. So, you obviously got a nice deal!

I still have a bit of regret selling my signed Spirit Archives I picked up for a great price from a Dynamite Comics website daily deal many years back, so if I was SkullOrchard I would stick this puppy on my bookshelf and not eBay it.