DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Have you ever read a Harvey Comic? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/626647-have-you-ever-read-harvey-comic.html)

shadokitty 05-03-15 01:31 PM

Have you ever read a Harvey Comic?

The thread about Archie comics got me curious who used to read the Harvey Comic books? I started reading comics with them when my dad gave me his collection. Wish I still had them.

The Valeyard 05-03-15 01:48 PM

Re: Have you ever read a Harvey Comic?

The only Harvey book I've ever read was a free Back to the Future comic I got at Universal when the animated series came out.

Trevor 05-03-15 01:53 PM

I read a few back in the day and always enjoyed them. I think I have a few physical and digital comics around, and am sure that I'll continue buying an occasional Harvey. Iirc, I liked Hot Stuff and Casper more than their other titles like Sad Sack.

PhantomStranger 05-03-15 01:57 PM

Archie was always around because grocery stores always carried them in checkout lines. I barely remember ever seeing Harvey Comics, much less reading one.

mrhan 05-03-15 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12470928)
I read a few back in the day and always enjoyed them. I think I have a few physical and digital comics around, and am sure that I'll continue buying an occasional Harvey. Iirc, I liked Hot Stuff and Casper more than their other titles like Sad Sack.

Read those same ones but I don't have a clue what I did with them after. They sort of just disappeared.

Nick Danger 05-03-15 03:53 PM

I'm pretty sure someone gave me a Richie Rich comic. I don't remember much about it. My parents didn't approve of comics, so it probably "got lost".

robin2099 05-03-15 04:25 PM

I remember reading a Richie Rich comic as a kid but other than that, no.

majorjoe23 05-03-15 04:40 PM

I had some as a kid in the early 80s, Richie Rich and Casper.

Trevor 05-03-15 04:45 PM

Oh, how could I forget Richie Rich?! I never really liked him, but I remember there being A LOT of Richie Rich comics back in the newsstand days.

They also did big licenses like The Jetsons, Underdog, Tom and Jerry, The Spirit, and The Phantom for a time.

Trevor 05-03-15 04:46 PM

The wiki article on Harvey Comics was somewhat interesting, http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvey_Comics

At different times their characters were published by Marvel and Dark Horse.

fujishig 05-03-15 05:29 PM

I don't think you could do a Hot Stuff comic for kids these days, but as a kid I always liked him, Richie Rich and Casper.

And yes I've also read Gold Key comics, since I presume that's the next topic? :)

Preterite 05-03-15 05:41 PM

Again, read a bunch of Haveys over the years thanks to the coverless bagged comics that used to be on sale everywhere when I was a kid. Richie Rich, Lil Dot, Caspar (& Spooky), Hot Stuff, Baby Huey...

On a similar note, there were some really good Little Lulu comics that would turn up in, I think, Treasure Chest, an anthology comic you would only see at the doctor's office and the homes of your dad's Protestant co-workers.

Preterite 05-03-15 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12471099)
And yes I've also read Gold Key comics, since I presume that's the next topic? :)

Dr. Spektor was the bomb, yo. Loved the painted covers on Gold Key books.

davidh777 05-04-15 01:15 PM

I read a ton of Richie Rich as a kid--so many titles! I wish they were more readily available in collected form other than that one Dark Horse volume from a few years ago.

I definitely read Little Dot as well. I read a few others--Casper, Baby Huey, Hot Stuff, Little Lotta--here and there.