Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The First Annual DVDTalk TBD Comic Book Challenge - April 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: The First Annual DVDTalk TBD Comic Book Challenge - April 2015

Just read the sixth and seventh issues of Avengers 1963 vol. 1 or however you notate it. I'm surprised that I'd never read the latter even though I've read issues before and after numerous times. I think I've hit a little pocket of discovery.

I definitely agree on the binge-reading aspect. Old-school JLA is tough for me to read much of in one sitting, but in general '70s Marvel is much easier for me to binge than same-era DC. The worst thing, though, is the war comics. I enjoy Haunted Tank and Sgt. Rock, but the stories rely on the same formulas over and over again.
Old 04-09-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Finishing up the Avengers Versus X-men collections and it's a fun over the top epic but the Avengers characters/motives are relatively under-developed compared to those of the X-men, there are some nice touching moments and the Avengers Academy issues struck me as a highpoint of the event despite focusing on tangential side-plots. Need to check out more Avengers Academy...

I struggled some though Avengers (1963) 1-10 earlier in the challenge, the narration heavy script is so slow but really great vagueness with hulk.
Old 04-09-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I always liked the Defenders, but that was in their early days and they had cool characters like Dr. Strange, the Silver Surfer, Sub-Mariner, and the Valkyrie .
It's funny you bring her up. The annual constantly references that Thor and Valkyrie are former lovers. They have them bringing it up in the middle of battle.
Old 04-10-15, 06:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's funny you bring her up. The annual constantly references that Thor and Valkyrie are former lovers. They have them bringing it up in the middle of battle.
Ugh, reminds me of the Wasp's silly flirting in the first few issues of Avengers. I think I'm going regret buying those Avengers bundles. I don't think I like Stan Lee's writing at all.
Old 04-10-15, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Ugh, reminds me of the Wasp's silly flirting in the first few issues of Avengers. I think I'm going regret buying those Avengers bundles. I don't think I like Stan Lee's writing at all.
Fortunately by issue 35 it seems like Stan Lee is off the series. I think a lot of it is just the dated presentation, my "favorite" part was when they were considering making Rick Jones a costumed member of Avengers because after all they let a girl like Wasp on the team.
Old 04-11-15, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I didn't up reading anything yesterday, though I did stop by the comic shop (no Avengers purchases). It was an all Daredevil binge watching day.
Old 04-12-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't Daredevil one of the five million Avengers now? Marvel has made seemingly every minor character a reserve Avenger at some point.
Old 04-16-15, 08:35 AM

Age of Ultron seemed like a dud to me; overly similar to titles like Final Crisis or Age of Apocalypse with too great a focus on characters and too little plot running on like an overlong 'what if' issue... the ant-man focused epilogue by Waid was really good.

Just started Captain America (2012) and that's off to a really nice start.
Old 04-16-15, 10:14 AM

I can't get motivated to read this month. I had been averaging 5 or more a day for a couple months there; but I just have no desire to read lately.
Old 04-16-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm going a little slow this month too. Daredevil on Netflix has thrown me off, because I'm watching that a lot of the time I would be reading. But the Marvel Unlimited deal should speed things back up for me. I can continue reading the Superior Spider-Man and Indestructible Hulk runs I started last time I had a free month.
Old 04-16-15, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't get motivated to read this month. I had been averaging 5 or more a day for a couple months there; but I just have no desire to read lately.
I go through phases like that where it gets hard to pick something up and read. I hate wasting the warmer months on the East Coast indoors when I could be outside.
Old 04-17-15, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I go through phases like that where it gets hard to pick something up and read. I hate wasting the warmer months on the East Coast indoors when I could be outside.
Thats when you take the comic books to the park! you even get the lil bit of cardio boost carrying your bag of books!

joking aside I actually do this. just moved to a new town and found a nice lil empty park about an hour walk from my apartment. So i justify reading comics on nice days by counter balancing it with a 2 hour stroll. Subway and Jarred aint got shit on that! maybe i can get sponsored by marvel!
Old 04-17-15, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv been reading a bit but most dont count bc Iv been trying to keep up with Convergence. Im trying to read my first event while it happens. I usually sit on the books and tell myself ill get caught up after a few weeks get released but then never get to them (infinity, eternal, futured end, hell I JUST read forever evil)
Old 04-17-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am always so far behind on the bigger events. I didn't read Blackest Night for like three years after it actually came out.
Old 04-17-15, 05:53 PM

I am always so far behind on the bigger events. I didn't read Blackest Night for like three years after it actually came out.
I can top that!

I've been patiently saving and am honestly really looking forward to every event since Crisis of Infinite Earths.
Old 04-20-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I read through Avengers 262 and 263. Most will remember #263 as the first appearance of Jean Grey since she was killed on the Moon. Marvel had her life pod appear through various non-X-Men comics as a mini-crossover. The funnier stuff was between Namor and Hercules, this is one of Namor's various phases as a good guy.

I always liked his stuff but recently I have come to deeply respect Roger Stern's writing on Marvel Comics during the 1980s. He had several lengthy runs on various books that are very solid.
Old 04-21-15, 12:10 AM

I've read others praise him too, and am looking forward to getting to his run.

But I'm still on issue 7, so it'll be awhile.
Old 04-21-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I had to switch from the Epic Collection to Essential Avengers vol. 1 due to more issues and less weight on my vacation, but I did finish that volume. It's funny how many of these issues were new to me even though I've read the Swordsman and Power Man arcs numerous times.

I then started on a new blind buy, Walt Simonson's Fantastic Four run in the Into the Timestream Epic Collection. Iron Man and Thor are along for the ride so I'm counting it!
Old 04-21-15, 11:15 AM

Remender's Uncanny Avengers run isn't quite as good as his Captain America stuff because the main villains seem awkward to me (maybe knowning the Uncanny Xforce backstory would help) but it's really epic stuff and miles better than Age of Ultron.
Old 04-21-15, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I'm going a little slow this month too. Daredevil on Netflix has thrown me off, because I'm watching that a lot of the time I would be reading. But the Marvel Unlimited deal should speed things back up for me. I can continue reading the Superior Spider-Man and Indestructible Hulk runs I started last time I had a free month.
I have a lot of trouble getting motivation to read. I love comics, and have quite a few, but have trouble sitting down to read. For this month, the only remaining comic I have that's eligible is a tpb called What If...Dark Avengers, like what if Tony Stark was Dr. Doom, still honorable, while Victor Von Doom was a villainous Iron Man.
Old 04-27-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Took advantage of a short plane flight and not much luggage to finally crack my copy of Hawkeye HC vol. 1. I liked it. It had kind of a Darwyn Cooke feel to it, and was witty and visually striking. I'm not dying to run out and grab the next volume, but I would read a library copy.

It sure moved faster than the Silver Age stuff. I finished 11 issues plus the Young Avengers filler in less than the length of my 90-minute flight.
Old 04-27-15, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
It sure moved faster than the Silver Age stuff. I finished 11 issues plus the Young Avengers filler in less than the length of my 90-minute flight.
It is pretty sad that one can read several $3.99 comics in the time it took to read one 20 cent comic back in the day.
Old 04-30-15, 06:47 AM

Holy moley, I can't believe how fast April fly by. I worked a lot of overtime and read almost nothing; hopefully May will be completely different.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...ay-2015-a.html
Old 04-30-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was really intending to keep up with this challenge but things got in the way as they always seem to do.