Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Rant - Hard to get rid of anything

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Comic Book Rant - Hard to get rid of anything

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I can't believe I stumbled on to this thread. I'm supposed to go Monday to a comic book store and get an appraisal of what my comics are worth. I have some from the 70's but mostly from the 1990-93 era.

I was hoping for some decent money but now i'm not going to hold my breath. I'm not going to give them away. If I don't receive an offer of my liking, I will take them back home.
Know the key issues of the era because that is what the store will be looking for in your collection. Whatever they offer, it will be for those issues and the rest will be dumped in quarter bins.
Old 01-13-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Nah, we've had people put functioning TVs and other shit out on the curb and no one picks it up - they all end up going in the trash. Guess it depends on the neighborhood.
Old 01-13-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
In my case, I live in a condominium community, and if you pull that you'll get fined, -and a big fine, -by "The Association". Also, in my County, if you put out a large item (appliances, couches) you have to buy a tag from the county office before the waste disposal can pick it (price decided by the item). There is usually one "Big Trash Pickup" day a year where it's all free (though they won't take computers or televisions, -those have to be recycled).
I don't have a HA, so no problem there. We do have to buy a large item tag from our waste disposal company. They pick up trash on Friday mornings, but I can leave a tv out at the curb Wednesday morning and someone will stop and load it into their car or pickup before the garbage truck comes. On the off chance someone doesn't take it, I'll just take it back into the house until the spring or fall clean-up week.
Old 01-13-17, 04:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I can't believe I stumbled on to this thread. I'm supposed to go Monday to a comic book store and get an appraisal of what my comics are worth. I have some from the 70's but mostly from the 1990-93 era.

I was hoping for some decent money but now i'm not going to hold my breath. I'm not going to give them away. If I don't receive an offer of my liking, I will take them back home.
From my experience you'll probably get offered $10-20 a longbox. As others have said, if you have anything you feel may be notable - point it out and you may be able to get more.
Old 01-14-17, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Comic stores do not want older books. They'll usually ask if you have any key issues (Hulk #181, Walking Dead #1, Dark Knight Returns, etc) but generally, they'll turn you away. I've seen guys walk in with tons of 90s books trying to cash in and not understanding why these books are useless.
Exactly. I started collecting comics again in the early '90's (after a hiatus of about 5 years), though I had 0 interest in Marvel comics at that time. So I was going to comic stores on a regular basis, and I remember all of the alternate foil/cardboard covers & #1's at the time (X-men, Spider-man) - suckers paid good $ for them, thinking they would increase in value overnight. Thankfully, I never bought into that & never spent any $ on those pieces of trash.

These days, most of those '90's comics aren't even worth the paper they're printed in. They're only good for two things:

1) Toilet paper.

2) Lining the bottom of kitty-litter boxes and birdcages....
Old 01-14-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Marvel and DC were literally selling more comic books in the speculator market of the early 90s than the number of actual people interested in comics.

It was propped up by collectors buying multiples of every issue. I'll admit to ending up with extras of virtually every "big" issue from the era. Stores would order enough supply to get the rare variants.

The market was a house of cards always ready to implode.
Old 01-15-17, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Marvel and DC were literally selling more comic books in the speculator market of the early 90s than the number of actual people interested in comics.

It was propped up by collectors buying multiples of every issue. I'll admit to ending up with extras of virtually every "big" issue from the era. Stores would order enough supply to get the rare variants.

The market was a house of cards always ready to implode.
Yes - pathetic. A lot of collectors/fans unfortunately wasted a lot of $ on that garbage - expecting it to be worth a lot of $. I wouldn't take any of these comics if you gave them to me for free.

I wasn't even too impressed by the Image comics from that era either - they were passing themselves off as being "original", but the art/stories were just in many cases clones (or at least very similar) to Marvel comics at that time.

Last edited by TheDude; 01-21-17 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I'd be thrilled if I could get 20-25 cents average per book for my collection.
Old 01-15-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I'd be thrilled if I could get 20-25 cents average per book for my collection.
I think that's doable but you still got assholes that will still try to lowball you.

List them on Craigslist and let us see what kind of response you get.
Old 01-15-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I keep finding things I forgot I had like these signed books.
Signed by the art team minus the colorist

Old 01-15-17, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheDude
Yes - pathetic. A lot of collectors/fans unfortunately wasted a lot of $ on that garbage - expecting it to be worth a lot of $. I wouldn't take any of these comics if you gave them to me for free.
It would be interesting to see a breakdown of where a lot of the early 90s boom comics ended up.

There were some collectors who were speculating, and buying up multiple copies of comics.

But there were also a lot of fly-by-night retailers who popped up in flea markets, pushing enhanced covers, Image, and Valiant Comics. And sports card dealers were also jumping into comics, seeing easy money.

I would bet that a lot of the "hot" comics of that era didn't make it past the retail level and never even got into the hands of consumers or collectors, and there are unopened boxes of this stuff piled in warehouses and buried in landfills.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-16-17 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-16-17, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think a lot of the inventory ultimately ended up in landfills.
Old 01-18-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
I think that's doable but you still got assholes that will still try to lowball you.

List them on Craigslist and let us see what kind of response you get.
Done.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/clt/5964105708.html
Old 01-18-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good list of key issues you have there.
Old 01-18-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good luck, it's just that those books seem too new to move. Anyone who would want them, already has them, and most likely would want to sell them as well. $3K for 10K books might seem like a deal, but most people just don't want to deal with the hassle of lugging around and storing 33 long boxes. If someone had $3K to spend, I can't imagine they'd buy this, even if they're fans, Me, I'd blow it on a nice guitar - easier to store/transport and it would actually appreciate.

Sell the few desirable books you have individually, then give away the rest to a library or a kid's home. You might be able to claim it on your taxes as charity, which might get you better return than selling them would.
Old 01-18-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually did get an offer for my asking price on that craigslist add.

I googled the guy and it appears to be a real person going by his FB page and some other things lingering
on the interwebs.

So I expect to speak with him tomorrow so we''ll see.

Old 01-19-17, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. Nice. Good luck!
Old 01-19-17, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Does Goodwill or other 2nd hand stores take TVs as donations? I know they take comic books.
I work in a thrift store and we only take panel TVs, anything else will never sell. I'm trying to get the donation truck drivers to bring me a CRT so I can test older video game systems,
Old 01-19-17, 07:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I googled the guy and it appears to be a real person going by his FB page and some other things lingering
on the interwebs.

Wow! That's about triple what I expected. You either lucked upon the deal of the decade, or we're never going to hear from you again.
Old 01-19-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

on the interwebs.

I didn't expect that at all. At least you will be getting a lot more than dumping them at a comic store. I hope the deal happens for you. Good luck.
Old 01-19-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It's probably a producer from Storage Wars looking to fill a storage bin for an upcoming episode. "Look at all these comics!"
Old 01-19-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

As soon as the per issue price went over $2, I got out. I just couldn't justify spending the money for a 20 minute read (if that). I was shocked to see the cover has gone to $5 on alot of mainstream books. Holy hell.
Old 01-19-17, 03:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
As soon as the per issue price went over $2, I got out. I just couldn't justify spending the money for a 20 minute read (if that). I was shocked to see the cover has gone to $5 on alot of mainstream books. Holy hell.
Most modern superhero comics are a 5 minute read.

Yeah, $4 or $5 is crazy; heck even $2 is crazy for me. I'm still able to buy pretty much everything at $1 a book or less, just have to be willing to wait a couple months and hit the dollar bins, and/or digital sales. Most stuff I'm able to buy within a few month of publication. Once that dollar price becomes too hard to maintain, I'll be out too.
Old 01-19-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Yeah, I did, too. Price went up to $2.00, everyone started flooding the market with crap, and I cut back big time.

If I'm paying $3-4 for a fucking comic book it had better be brilliant.

So now I'm down to select titles by Gaiman, Moore, Morrison, and a few others like Saga and Walking Dead.
Old 01-19-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most of the Omnibus books I buy come out to around $1 to $2 per issue (I never pay close to retail for an Omnibus like I have to do for floppies - $50 to $60 for a 40 to 60 issue book). And those are over-sized, hardcovers, with better paper and no ads. (not to mention, easier to sell off if need be) Tough to go back to floppies when you get used to that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.