Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The New 52 ends (Kinda...)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The New 52 ends (Kinda...)

http://www.newsarama.com/23456-dc-re...book-line.html

DC's Post-Convergence plans are revealed at last.

25 titles from before Convergence will still be published. They will no longer be called the New 52 however.

24 new titles will begin. These titles are said to de-emphasize continuity. (I know continuity gets extremely messy in comics, but I'm still a whore for continuity.)

Two new titles are Bat-Mite and Bizarro. I never would have imagined they would get their own titles. I can't see them lasting more than 12 issues though before they get canceled due to low sales.

So really what it sounds like is that the New 52 continuity will still exist, but it just won't be called the New 52 anymore and there is less emphasis on continuity now. I guess it does make sense to drop the New 52 name since it's no longer new. It's 4 years old now.
Old 02-06-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: The New 52 ends (Kinda...)

So from the lists I have seen it looks like no more Supergirl?
I find it strange they would cease that title with a TV show for the character on the horizon. They are really gonna waste a monthly title on fucking Cyborg, but take Supergirl away?
Old 02-06-15, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Maxflier
So from the lists I have seen it looks like no more Supergirl?
I find it strange they would cease that title with a TV show for the character on the horizon. They are really gonna waste a monthly title on fucking Cyborg, but take Supergirl away?
Sales were probably just too low to keep in publication. Superboy was canceled last year. So there really isn't a "Superman family" of titles anymore.

There also isn't a Green Lantern family of titles anymore either. All of them have been canceled except for the main GL title. I knew sales dropped after Geoff Johns' run ended, but I didn't think they dropped that low.
Old 02-06-15, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm sure there'll be a new Supergirl title if the show is picked up. The title just isn't selling well.

As for Cyborg, it's about time. Four years ago, DC was saying it was Cyborg's time to shine but never gave him a fucking title. His rise through the ranks seemed more like quota filling than anything else. At least with a title to call his own, we'll see if the fans feel the same way DC does about him. Ironically, the character he replaced (Martian Manhunter) is also getting a series. Green Lantern is getting one new series now that most of them dropped so back down to 2 GL books.

I'm glad they're finally moving away from The New 52. Seems odd to keep pushing that 4 years after the fact. Bat-Mite is a mini-series so it definitely won't last to 12 issues. Not sure about Bizarro tho. The new edict at DC is "Batgirl-ing" books (meaning, "Change that shit up like Batgirl did. Be hip!"). So expect to see a lot more change in how DC books look.
Old 02-06-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

It makes sense to drop the New 52 from the titles at this point. Other than that it doesn't sound like much is changing.
Old 02-06-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

On the one hand this is absolutely what they need to do to keep comics alive: attract a new audience and not just pander to the existing comic book fans. On the other hand, as an existing comic book fan,well, there's little reason for me to go back to monthly collecting. At least, free from the confines of continuity, I'm hoping we can have a few more projects like All Star Superman and such which can stand alone, instead of a never ending series of crossovers that lead from one to the other endlessly.
Old 02-06-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Dido's quote has me hopeful

"In this new era of storytelling, story will trump continuity as we continue to empower creators to tell the best stories in the industry," DiDio said in the announcement.
Old 02-06-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing that worries me is that for a while now editorial interference has seemingly been the norm at DC. Characters seemed to trump creators. But we'll see.
Old 02-06-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

They should have went the Marvel route and re-branded as the "All-New52."
Old 02-06-15, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
They should have went the Marvel route and re-branded as the "All-New52."

I wonder what branding Marvel is going to use after Secret Wars. All-New 2.0 Marvel?
Old 02-06-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I suspect continuity will come back at some point. This is a sales gimmick like everything else promoted in the past two decades by Marvel and DC, probably a temporary move. I guess we'll see more Elseworlds-type comics getting published on a monthly basis, with creators jumping on and off their own arcs.

I think a writer like Morrison would have a lot of fun with the concept. We'll see if the other writers are up to the task.
Old 02-06-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer

I wonder what branding Marvel is going to use after Secret Wars. All-New 2.0 Marvel?
Marvel needs to move to firmware revisions like Windows 8.24.
Old 02-06-15, 01:54 PM

Continuity is overrated. WWE seems to do just fine without it.
Old 02-06-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"In this new era of storytelling, story will trump continuity as we continue to empower creators to tell the best stories in the industry," DiDio said in the announcement.
Old 02-06-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The New 52 isn't going anywhere. It's here to stay.
You were saying ?

24 new titles will begin. These titles are said to de-emphasize continuity. (I know continuity gets extremely messy in comics, but I'm still a whore for continuity.)
They keep saying that they want to do this for new readers. Then they bring it back a year later.

DiDio said in the announcement.
I've still never forgiven him for cancelling ReBoot.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-06-15 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
You were saying ?

The New 52 isn't going anywhere, so I'm not sure what you're trying to say there. The actual "New 52" name is being dropped, but the comics are still set in that universe. It's not reverting back to the pre-Flashpoint universe or anything.
Old 02-06-15, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure there'll be a new Supergirl title if the show is picked up. The title just isn't selling well.
That's just it though. It already has been picked up.
Old 02-06-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sure by the time it airs we'll get a Supergirl book. The new 52 supergirl is pretty different anyway.
Old 02-07-15, 01:57 PM
Banned

good book (y)
Old 02-08-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't ignoring continuity going to drive readers away.
Old 02-09-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Isn't ignoring continuity going to drive readers away.
I think the theory is that NEW readers won't shy away as they don't have to know 50 years of continuity to pick up books.

And older readers are nerds who couldn't stop reading comic books if you laced them with anthrax.
Old 02-09-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just read this on the CGC message board. Kinda funny in how things are today with all the reboots/#1's.

If you look at original JLA #1, there is no #1 on the cover.

DC felt that if you were a kid off the street, you would assume that a title that was on issue #74, for example, must be good if it had lasted that long. And the same logic dictated that said kid would rather invest his dime in that, than in an untried something or other.

So the #1 was withheld, in order to trick people into thinking it was not something new.

Weird how it is the exact opposite today!
Old 02-10-15, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always felt the high issue #'s were a source of pride. Look, Action Comics is so good it has lasted for 800+ issues. Now a series is lucky if it lasts into the 30's before getting reset to #1.

This might be all and good for people buying them now. Imagine someone in a few years trying to purchase back issues. They are looking for issue #5 but holy shit, there are 4 #5s. Which is the right one?

Would it kill DC & Marvel to put the year on the cover as well? Put the month & year under the issue #. Well Billy wants the #5 that was released in 2016. Look at that, he can easily find it and not ended up looking like a dumbass for buying 2014's #5. Stupid Billy. Putting the month/year on also helps people read the right issue when it comes to crossover titles. Read all May's issues of that year before June's issues.
Old 02-10-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who's gonna want to purchase recent backissues? Even if it wasn't dead stock for most stores, what of significance has happened lately (ie: new character that mattered, or a major storyline change that stuck) where someone would actually go back and look for an individual issue rather than go look for a collection or something?

Anyway, we can blame the comic book companies all we want, but we should really blame the consumers who buy number one issues in greater quantities because it's number one. Just like the whole variant cover stuff.

Last edited by fujishig; 02-10-15 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-10-15, 01:04 PM
Banned

Yeah, the back issue market is dead. Everything is collected in trades nowadays. If someone doesn't buy the floppy on release date, they will just wait and get the trade later.

And yeah, the consumer is really to blame for the constant #1 relaunches. It's simple supply and demand at work. It is proven that a new #1 issues sell like hotcakes. Marvel and DC are just simply supplying the demand. If the consumer would refuse to buy, then the companies would stop doing them. It's also why there are so many character deaths and resurrections and events-after-endless-events is because those things always sell very well. People complain that stuff sucks and they are tired of it, but the sales charts say otherwise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.