DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   The Nicest Action Comics #1 You'll Ever See (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/621789-nicest-action-comics-1-youll-ever-see.html)

Bronkster 08-14-14 08:16 PM

The Nicest Action Comics #1 You'll Ever See

Saw an article a few weeks ago that this was coming up. Today is the day. A 9.0 copy of Action Comics #1. Why am I not filthy rich?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Action-Comic...16.m2518.l4276

VHS? 08-14-14 08:30 PM

Re: The Nicest Action Comics #1 You'll Ever See

Seems he held on to it for some time and now time to pass it on. I would have done the same.
Wish I could open an old chest and find gold like that.

rexinnih 08-15-14 01:36 PM

If I hit that lottery in the next week, it will be mine. And since I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

Sonic 08-15-14 11:14 PM

Currently at US $1,650,200.00

story 08-15-14 11:39 PM

Those ads on the back cover. Wait, wait, wait, wait! Those full page ads of gag gifts and pamphlets and rip-off items have not only appeared in comics that long, they've even looked exactly the same?! I had no idea, honest!

robin2099 08-16-14 12:14 AM

I wonder why they listed this on Ebay instead of doing an auction house? Seems like they would have made more money that way?

PhantomStranger 08-16-14 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by robin2099 (Post 12201545)
I wonder why they listed this on Ebay instead of doing an auction house? Seems like they would have made more money that way?

It wouldn't surprise me if eBay waved some of their usual cut to generate the extra P.R. of having Action Comics #1 on the site.

Would this condition really merit a 9.0 grading if it weren't the most famous comic book in the world? Make it Action Comics #121 to pick a random issue and I don't think that gets a 9.0 grading, just going by the pure cosmetic condition in the pictures.

rocket1312 08-16-14 09:28 AM

In the video on the listing, the owner says he chose ebay due to its global reach and he wanted to maximize publicity, but that might just be p.r. fluff. Who knows if ebay sweetened the deal at all, but I will say that their fees are far less than the average auction house.

Ringmaster 08-16-14 11:37 AM

Wow, the current bid is at 1.7 million right now. It would be pretty sweet to own but it's not for me at these prices. :lol: I hope the winning bid is legit because there seems to be a lot of fake bidders for this type of auction in other cases.

stvn1974 08-16-14 03:55 PM

Some really rich dude will buy it, crack the seal and then read it while getting peanut butter and jelly stains on the pages.

Sonic 08-16-14 04:27 PM

Maybe Zack Synder will buy it then put it in the actual movie where Batman reads it and tears it up. Making the scene the biggest action you ever seen!

Bronkster 08-16-14 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12201565)
Would this condition really merit a 9.0 grading if it weren't the most famous comic book in the world? Make it Action Comics #121 to pick a random issue and I don't think that gets a 9.0 grading, just going by the pure cosmetic condition in the pictures.

CGC grading is all over the place. I've seen a few 9.0 books that looked more like a 6.5 or 7.0. The photos for this would qualify for 9.0 (from what I can see) - but they also look TOO good. If this wasn't a major event, I'd almost say the book is fake. :lol:

I still want it though.

Deftones 08-16-14 09:04 PM

yeah, that thing looks fucking pristine for being as old as it is. crazy.

PhantomStranger 08-16-14 11:10 PM

I don't know, I've seen some pretty great-looking Golden Age books in much better condition. Though they usually come from the 40s, when the technology had matured.

madcougar 08-18-14 11:20 AM

Should have bid on it early just to say I bid for it.

Sonic 08-19-14 02:05 PM

Bid is currently at 2mil+

PhantomStranger 08-19-14 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by antspawn (Post 12204827)
Bid is currently at 2mil+

I'll throw in $20 if you can cover the rest.

Trevor 08-19-14 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by madcougar (Post 12203389)
Should have bid on it early just to say I bid for it.

They had a pre-qualification system in place. I think I heard that there are only 6 bidders.

Bronkster 08-19-14 08:57 PM

The first bid jumped the opening price of 99 cents up to a million dollars. I can't imagine tossing a million bucks at something and then getting the "You've been outbid!" message. :jawdrop:

Xiroteus 08-19-14 10:43 PM

Here is a question - How much money would you need to have to spend a couple million on a comic?

I can't imagine ever doing so, it would have to be in the hundreds of millions along with having a good amount coming in. And even then I would be more into original art and I could buy a ton for a couple million.

I wonder how much the original art to action comics issue one would be worth if it still existed.

Found it!

It will be discovered soon!

Trevor 08-23-14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Xiroteus (Post 12205489)
Here is a question - How much money would you need to have to spend a couple million on a comic?

There is no amount. As nice as it would be to own something like that, the money could be much better spent elsewhere.

Auction up to about 2.2 million with just over a day remaining.

VHS? 08-23-14 08:26 PM

Wonder if Nic Cage is a bidder

Brack 08-23-14 10:50 PM

Picture of owner of said comic:

http://www.wolfgnards.com/media/blog...inking-cap.jpg

hanshotfirst1138 08-24-14 08:41 AM

It must be nice to have enough disposable income to spend on something like that. Wonder what that's like? If I had it, I'd probably spend it on debts and bills, paying off my car and helping my parents with their financial issues. Oh, and an Oppo BDP 103 Darbee, a Panasonic Viera Plasma, and a nice sound system ;) too.

davidh777 08-24-14 09:02 AM

If you had that much disposable income, you wouldn't have debts, car payments, or financial issues. :D