DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   Anyone have experience commissioning art? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/621264-anyone-have-experience-commissioning-art.html)

rocket1312 07-18-14 10:21 AM

Anyone have experience commissioning art?

So I just discovered John Byrne's website, which has an extensive gallery of his commission pieces. I know some people don't care for the man himself, but there's no denying his talent. Some of the pieces are absolutely breathtaking. He doesn't list his rates on the site, but I was able to find them with a bit of googling. Not cheap, but as a classic X-Men nut, I've decided I absolutely NEED one of these.

So does anyone have experience with commissions? Positive? Negative? Does anyone know of other artists, who will accept commissions via the web (I'm not a convention goer).

The Valeyard 07-18-14 12:07 PM

Re: Anyone have experience commissioning art?

Several artists do commissioned work. I know Neal Adams does. Depending on who you commission, be prepared to wait for the piece to arrive. Artists generally do commissions in-between their regular gigs and there are usually other people ahead of you. You'll get a general time frame when the piece will be completed.

I would avoid Michael Golden tho.

Comic Book Art are the exclusive reps for commissions by older artists like Herb Trimpe, Frank Springer and Ron Wilson. I've always wanted to commission Herb Trimpe to do a Godzilla vs. the Shogun Warriors piece. Comic Art Commissions is another place. You could also just check out an artist's website to see if they have their rates posted or a link to whoever reps them.

Kube 07-18-14 02:13 PM

Great thread. Is it possible to get a commissioned drawing from a known artist without paying a fortune. What does an adams or Byrne cost?

The Valeyard 07-18-14 02:22 PM

Found this for Neil Adams:

Each drawing must be discussed individually for price. For a basic idea, a Bust drawing on 8.5" x 11" is about $500. Full figures are $1000. There are many choices in between and larger sizes as well. Drawings on blank cover comics are slightly more expensive than the ones on paper due to their collectable value, and resale value.

rocket1312 07-18-14 03:24 PM

Here's Byrne's pricing. Cheaper than Adams, but still pricy. The upcharge on the X-Men characters is what gets me. I could see myself springing for a single character/no background someday, but it would be hard to convince the wife of anything more than that.

$550 - for a single figure pencil and ink illo with no background done on 11" x 17" board; additional figures are $200 each

$1,100 - for a single-figure ?non-X-Men? pen and ink pinup type shot w/background done in pencil and ink on 11" x 17" board; additional figures are $100 each..

$1,500 - for a single figure pencil and ink pinup type shot featuring an X-Men character w/background done on 11" x 17" board; additional figures are $100 each.

$2,500 for most non-X-Men pieces done in pencil and ink on 18" x 24" board; includes background and up to 6 figures; additional figures are $200 each

$4,500 for most pieces featuring X-Men characters done in pencil and ink on 18" x 24" board; includes background and up to 6 figures; additional figures are $200 each

$3,000-$3,500 for most non-X-Men pieces done in pencil and ink on 20" x 30" board; includes background and up to 6 figures; additional figures are $250 each.

$5,000 for pieces featuring X-Men characters done in pencil and ink on 20" x 30" board; includes background and up to 6 figures; additional figures are $250 each.

Josh-da-man 07-18-14 04:45 PM

I'd sort of like to commission a Dream and Death or Endless piece from Byrne, or possibly a John Constantine, even though he probably doesn't care for those characters.

davidh777 07-18-14 04:51 PM

Maybe he's sick of X-art and trying to dissuade it? Or just acknowledging the huge demand by pricing accordingly.

I'd like to get an original but it would depend on the artist and the price. When I went to Emerald City Con a couple years ago, I think Bruce Timm said his started at $100. I saw Don Rosa doing one but didn't think to inquire.

Found this on SDCC 2011 site:

Bruce Timm is ready for commissions to be delivered at SDCC 2011
They are $1250 each in full color for a single character with limited
backgrounds. If you are unfamiliar with the quality of his commissions,
you can see examples that are similarly priced at www.albertmoy.com

http://albertmoy.com/ArtistGalleryRoom.asp?ArtistId=465

Bruce Timm has the ultimate approval for characters and subject matter.

rocket1312 07-18-14 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12173204)
Maybe he's sick of X-art and trying to dissuade it? Or just acknowledging the huge demand by pricing accordingly.

I think it's probably more the latter. He knows people will pay, so why not? Although he can be sort of cantankerous, so who really knows. I've read that he'll flat out refuse a commission if he's not interested in the subject, so I guess he could refuse to do X-Men if he really wanted to, but I think he's smart enough to know where his bread is buttered.

I really want an X-Men piece of some sort, and after poking around a bit, it seems like Byrne is the best bet. I would want someone closely associated with the title and Paul Smith, Neal Adams, Marc Silvestri and Jim Lee are all more expensive than Byrne, Dave Cockrum is dead and I'm not a huge fan of Romita Jr.

majorjoe23 07-18-14 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12173204)

I'd like to get an original but it would depend on the artist and the price. When I went to Emerald City Con a couple years ago, I think Bruce Timm said his started at $100. I saw Don Rosa doing one but didn't think to inquire.

Found this on SDCC 2011 site:

I got a free head sketch from Don Rosa a few months back. Pretty awesome.

But sketches and commissions are getting really pricey.

Josh-da-man 07-19-14 03:22 AM

Byrne, from what I understand, books his commissions pretty tightly between his regular comics work, so he might upcharge on X-Men so he doesn't hit with too many requests for his limited time. I could easily see him getting hit with tons of X-Men requests.

As for characters he won't do, I believe that there are some non-comics characters he won't draw on commission due to legal issues. So no Doctor Doom vs Darth Vader pieces.

reverie 07-21-14 10:13 AM

I just got a loosely inked Supergirl done by Arvell Jones for $60 this past weekend. Not quite in Byrne or Adams caliber for fame, but he was a really great guy to chat with and it's now my second original piece (the first being a $50 Keith Pollard pencil drawing of Indiana Jones). My dream would be Scott McDaniel; I know he sometimes doe commissions on his site, but it's hard for me to pull the trigger on stuff over $100 even though I know it's worth it.