Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Big Damn Sin City the best way to own all of Sin City?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 06-08-14, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only Sin City comic I have is the one that was included with the extended cut DVD. I want to own all of the Sin City comics so I went to Amazon and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Big-Damn-City-...words=Sin+City

Does this include everything?
Old 06-08-14, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Is Big Damn Sin City the best way to own all of Sin City?

Looks like it. It's a brand new collection and isn't released until July 8 though.
Old 06-08-14, 06:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
Does this include everything?
As an OCD collector, I can almost promise you that nothing in film or comics ever does or ever will include truly everything.
Old 06-08-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
As an OCD collector, I can almost promise you that nothing in film or comics ever does or ever will include truly everything.
+1
It's quite rare for a special edition to be 100% comprehensive and authoritative. Quite often they are put together by marketing types that only have a passing familiarity with the material.
Old 06-08-14, 01:47 PM

There are only 7 trades worth of Sin City material, and this one claims to have them all.
Old 06-08-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Back prior to the first movie came out I piecemeal-ed a bunch of the trades together so I have one or two hardcovers and a bunch of paperbacks. It would be nice to have a complete set; the only one I didn't care much for was the last one, Hell and Back.
Old 06-08-14, 07:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I confess that while I own all of the trades, I've only read the first one. Loved it, so that and the Miller name/rep, and my OCD, was enough to get me to buy the rest. I'm sure I'll get to them eventually, but of course I say that about a million hours worth of reading and viewing that I keep collecting....
Old 06-09-14, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I'm not really a fan of these HUGE hardcovers. They're cumbersome to read, and the binding quality can really be a crapshoot.
Old 06-09-14, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was one of the few people who saw Sin City in theaters back in 2005. I loved it, and plan on seeing the sequel in theaters in August. Besides this upcoming release, are there just TPB that collect the various stories or are there other definitive versions?
Old 06-09-14, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I was one of the few people who saw Sin City in theaters back in 2005. I loved it, and plan on seeing the sequel in theaters in August. Besides this upcoming release, are there just TPB that collect the various stories or are there other definitive versions?
I believe all the trades are still in print. If not, there are a ton of them and they're fairly common on the used market.

People who saw Sin City in theaters aren't that rare. It made $70 million.
Old 06-09-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I confess that while I own all of the trades, I've only read the first one. Loved it, so that and the Miller name/rep, and my OCD, was enough to get me to buy the rest. I'm sure I'll get to them eventually, but of course I say that about a million hours worth of reading and viewing that I keep collecting....
I was once like you my friend. Buying books I didn't read. Buying movies I didn't watch. Then I got divorced and that stopped REALLY quick.
Old 06-09-14, 05:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

There's also two Library Editions of Sin City, each containing four oversized hardcovers in a slipcase (the first contains books 1-4, the second has books 5-7 and an art book). They're pretty pricey on the used market, however.
Old 06-09-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I was one of the few people who saw Sin City in theaters back in 2005.
What are you talking about? The movie made $75M domestically and was in release for almost five months. Seriously, you can't try to make stuff up anymore, the internet will always have the truth.
Old 06-11-14, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by John Pannozzi
There's also two Library Editions of Sin City, each containing four oversized hardcovers in a slipcase (the first contains books 1-4, the second has books 5-7 and an art book). They're pretty pricey on the used market, however.
This would probably be the ideal collector format for the series, but like you said, they're pricey and have been out of print for many years now.

So Big Damn Sin City will be the best way to have all 7 of the books at once, and it'll be in an especially nice format. It'll be available at InStockTrades.Com next Tuesday afternoon for cheaper than whatever Amazon wants to sell it to you for.

There are also regular sized TPBs and digest sized TPBs. The digest ones came out when the first movie did and their spines align to make an image. I'm ignorant about any regular sized hardcovers.
Old 06-11-14, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by kodave
This would probably be the ideal collector format for the series, but like you said, they're pricey and have been out of print for many years now.

So Big Damn Sin City will be the best way to have all 7 of the books at once, and it'll be in an especially nice format. It'll be available at InStockTrades.Com next Tuesday afternoon for cheaper than whatever Amazon wants to sell it to you for.

There are also regular sized TPBs and digest sized TPBs. The digest ones came out when the first movie did and their spines align to make an image. I'm ignorant about any regular sized hardcovers.
There were Sin City hardcovers released of most of the volumes in the 90s... Sin City (the original, before it was titled The Hard Good-bye), A Dame to Kill For, The Big Fat Kill, and That Yellow Bastard were all released as hardcovers around the same time their respective (regular-sized) TPBs were released. The original graphic novel Family Values and short story collection Booze, Broads, and Bullets were only released as TPBs. I also don't think Hell and Back received a hardcover release for some reason. I seem to recall that these hardcovers were only printed once and weren't kept available like the TPBs were.

Before the movie came out, all of the Sin City books were allowed to slip out of print, and new, smaller, softcover editions were released.

It's also worth nothing that several of the old standard-sized TPBs were released with different covers with new printings. I went out of my way to collect the ones with the painted covers, where available.
Old 06-12-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
People who saw Sin City in theaters aren't that rare. It made $70 million.
I personally don't know anyone that did and like I explain below, it sure felt like it at the time.
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What are you talking about? The movie made $75M domestically and was in release for almost five months. Seriously, you can't try to make stuff up anymore, the internet will always have the truth.
?

I'm not making anything up. I went opening day and there were 2 people in the actual theater besides me. I wasn't referring to its overall domestic gross. FWIW, I was a little buzzed when I was replying and may not have worded what I meant correctly.

And yes, the internet will always have the "truth."

Sorry if I offended you, Josh.
Old 06-13-14, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by kodave

I haven't bought from InStockTrades before, but if they're cheaper than Amazon I will. I see the listing for Big Damn Sin City on InStockTrades' website, but not the ability to preorder it nor the price. That will show up next Tuesday, or is this shipping from them next Tuesday?
Old 06-13-14, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I haven't bought from InStockTrades before, but if they're cheaper than Amazon I will. I see the listing for Big Damn Sin City on InStockTrades' website, but not the ability to preorder it nor the price. That will show up next Tuesday, or is this shipping from them next Tuesday?
We discussed this a bit in the bargains thread, but yeah, IST doesn't do pre-orders. Prices are good, though, and I've heard positive things, so I've been meaning to try them as an Amazon alternative.
Old 06-13-14, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I personally don't know anyone that did and like I explain below, it sure felt like it at the time.
?

I'm not making anything up. I went opening day and there were 2 people in the actual theater besides me. I wasn't referring to its overall domestic gross. FWIW, I was a little buzzed when I was replying and may not have worded what I meant correctly.

And yes, the internet will always have the "truth."

Sorry if I offended you, Josh.
No offense here. Good to know there are three people in your town with taste
Old 06-14-14, 01:01 PM

IST doesn't do pre-orders. Wednesday releases show up for purchase on Tuesday afternoons. I don't know if there's a set time, but they should most likely be up for purchase by Tuesday night for sure.

At the minimum I believe Big Damn Sin City will be 42% off from IST, since 42% off seems to be their standard discount for Dark Horse titles at the moment. At $58 that will qualify you for free shipping. That's a buck lower than Amazon right now. And their shipping protection will be better than Amazon, no question about it.

There is the chance that IST might offer 50% off the book for the first week of release, but we won't know until Tuesday afternoon.

I normally love Amazon (aside from their shitty packaging of large format books like this one) but this Amazon/Hachette battle has me real disgusted with them, so I'd rather give my money to another retailer like IST when it comes to books.
Old 06-15-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
We discussed this a bit in the bargains thread, but yeah, IST doesn't do pre-orders. Prices are good, though, and I've heard positive things, so I've been meaning to try them as an Amazon alternative.
I trust IST far more than Amazon.
Old 06-17-14, 03:47 PM

Today is the day! I'm waiting for them to update now.
Old 06-17-14, 03:52 PM

It doesn't come out until next week. It's solicited for June 25.
Old 06-17-14, 03:57 PM

I thought kodave said it would be up on InStockTrades sometime today?
Old 06-17-14, 03:59 PM

He said "Wednesday releases show up for purchase on Tuesday afternoons."

This comes out next Wednesday. So it should be available for purchase at IST next Tuesday afternoon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.