Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What should I get Stan Lee to sign?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: What should I get Stan Lee to sign?

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Hold on, you have a Spider-Man #1 bagged, and you asked McFarlane to sign the bag? Wouldn't an open Spider-Man #1 with McFarlane's signature on the actual comic be worth more? Serious question.
Yes, but if you open the bag the comic book is then worth less. When McFarlane was in Baltimore, he was doing free signatures so I had to scramble around the convention to find something to get him to sign. I found a booth run by Chuck Rosinski from Mile High Comics. He had a $1 comic booth and in there was about 30 of the bagged black Spider-man #1's. There were so hard to get when the came out, but now they're in the $1 boxes.

I picked one up and got in the long line to get it signed. As I was close to the front of the line, I started to open the bag and a guy a little further back in line sarcastical yells "No, don't do it!! Don't open it!! I said "Yeah, it would be funny if all the pages inside were blank". As soon as I opened it there was a crease going right down the middle of the cover. All the bagged Spidey's were stored together in a box for so many years that the seems from the back of the bags left an imprint on the front of every book behind it.
Old 06-04-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Hold on, you have a Spider-Man #1 bagged, and you asked McFarlane to sign the bag? Wouldn't an open Spider-Man #1 with McFarlane's signature on the actual comic be worth more? Serious question.
He came to Houston to a comic book convention sometime in 1992. About 1,700 people showed up, which is a huge crowd for a small convention in a smallish hotel. After about 400 people had gone through the line, they announced he'd only be signing one item per person. When I was approaching the line, I saw him being a real jackass to everyone. It was as if he was annoyed we'd come to worship him or something.

I'd brought several things for him to sign, but as he as only signing one item, I had to choose. I had read about him being "anti-bagged comics" somewhere, so being 22-years-old and full of piss and vinegar, I decided to have him sign the bagged Spider-Man #1 to further piss him off. He looked up, glared at me and said "I didn't make the bag." Then he signed it. Hindsight being 20/20, I realize that was REALLY stupid on my part, but you live and you learn.
Old 06-04-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
He came to Houston to a comic book convention sometime in 1992. About 1,700 people showed up, which is a huge crowd for a small convention in a smallish hotel. After about 400 people had gone through the line, they announced he'd only be signing one item per person. When I was approaching the line, I saw him being a real jackass to everyone. It was as if he was annoyed we'd come to worship him or something.

I'd brought several things for him to sign, but as he as only signing one item, I had to choose. I had read about him being "anti-bagged comics" somewhere, so being 22-years-old and full of piss and vinegar, I decided to have him sign the bagged Spider-Man #1 to further piss him off. He looked up, glared at me and said "I didn't make the bag." Then he signed it. Hindsight being 20/20, I realize that was REALLY stupid on my part, but you live and you learn.
When I saw him in Baltimore I had him signed the bagged Spider-man #1 that I opened up and a hardcover showcasing the first 500 covers of Amaz Spider-man. He made some remark that he usually doesn't sign reprints or something to that effect. I really didn't hear him that well or pay too much attention to what he said. He came off as being a little arrogant though. (McFarlane not Stan Lee)
Old 06-04-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
When I saw him in Baltimore I had him signed the bagged Spider-man #1 that I opened up and a hardcover showcasing the first 500 covers of Amaz Spider-man. He made some remark that he usually doesn't sign reprints or something to that effect. I really didn't hear him that well or pay too much attention to what he said. He came off as being a little arrogant though. (McFarlane not Stan Lee)
That was my experience. The guy acted like he was doing all of us a favor.
Old 06-04-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Could it have anything to do with the fact that 1,700 people were in a line to have him sign something ?
Sign your name 1,700 times or more seeing as it appears he was, at a time, signing multiple items and see if you dont get a little worn out and start coping a little attitude.
Old 06-05-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VHS?
Could it have anything to do with the fact that 1,700 people were in a line to have him sign something ?
Sign your name 1,700 times or more seeing as it appears he was, at a time, signing multiple items and see if you dont get a little worn out and start coping a little attitude.
I didn't realize that they kidnapped him and forced him to sign his autograph. I was also unaware that he was doing this as charity. Poor Todd McFarlane! Why did god curse him with all of this talent!? Why did he have to be SO successful that legions of fans would gather to harass him!? Why god!? WHY!?
Old 06-05-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

John Romita Jr signed all weekend at last year's Comikaze and the line lasted for hours. He was happy and friendly the entire time. His signings were free.

Rob Liefeld was charging to sign books at Wondercon. Some books cost more if it a character premiered in it (like New Mutants #98). He looked like he didn't want to be there.
Old 06-05-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
John Romita Jr signed all weekend at last year's Comikaze and the line lasted for hours. He was happy and friendly the entire time. His signings were free.
Met John Romita Jr. at a convention in Houston in 1992 right about the time that Punisher War Journal debuted. The guy was super friendly and went out of his way to personalize the books I'd brought for him to sign. He remains a favorite of mine to this date because of how cool he was that day.
Old 06-06-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McFarlane is known in the industry as a bit of a hot head/crazy. It's probably why Spawn became so successful and McFarlane having a big company today.

I grew up collecting his toys and a couple of months ago, I had an opportunity to interview him. We talked on the phone for about 45 minutes and told me I could ask anything. I asked him a lot about the toys and he answered them pretty honestly. The stuff he said about making it in the industry stood out the most to me:

"The fearless artists are the ones that have jobs in the comic industry. Majority probably aren't the best but they weren't afraid to showcase their work. Because they're bold, they got the job."
Old 06-20-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

What to have Stan Lee sign? I'd go with either The Incredible Shrinking Dickies or Dawn of the Dickies, maybe Stukas Over Disneyland