DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   So Long Archie, You Were a Good Man (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/619353-so-long-archie-you-were-good-man.html)

Sean O'Hara 04-08-14 02:12 PM

So Long Archie, You Were a Good Man

Really?

Really?

Riverdale's teen everyman Archie Andrews, the comic world's good-hearted small-town hero, will sacrifice his own life to save a friend at the conclusion of the series Life with Archie.

The shocking news about the iconic pop culture character was announced Tuesday by Archie Comics publisher Jon Goldwater.

Archie Andrews will die in Life with Archie #36, a forthcoming issue of the 'flash-forward' series exploring the character's life after high school and college. The issue will be released in July 2014. (Courtesy Archie Comics)

Archie will die in July's Life with Archie #36, a forthcoming issue of the "flash-forward" series exploring the character's life after high school and college.

"We've been building up to this moment since we launched Life with Archie five years ago and knew that any book that was telling the story of Archie's life as an adult had to also show his final moment, Goldwater said in a statement.

"This story is going to inspire a wide range of reactions because we all feel so close to Archie. Fans will laugh, cry, jump off the edge of their seats and hopefully understand why this comic will go down as one of the most important moments in Archie’s entire history. It's the biggest story we've ever done, and we're supremely proud of it."

The subsequent issue (#37) will jump forward a year and look at how the rest of the Riverdale crew — including his love interests Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge, best friend Jughead Jones and friend/nemesis Reggie Mantle — dealt with his death.

In recent years, Archie Comics has branched out into more contemporary story lines, including those involving its first gay characters, and nontraditional spinoff series.

For instance, the publisher teamed up with TV's high school music show Glee for a crossover project, called on controversial Girls creator Lena Dunham to pen a four-issue story and waded into the horror comic genre with the series Afterlife with Archie, which features the Riverdale gang encountering things like zombies, other undead creatures and magical incantations.

stingermck 04-08-14 02:23 PM

Re: So Long Archie, You Were a Good Man

Life of Archie, future what if series. Everyone relax.

bluetoast 04-08-14 02:52 PM

They should have done all these gimmicks back in the 90's where they belong.

JasonF 04-08-14 03:36 PM

BTW, if you haven't checked out Afterlife with Archie, it's worth a look. The zombie apocalypse comes to Riverdale. Really well done.

fujishig 04-08-14 04:32 PM

Didn't they already due Archie marries Veronica and Archie marries Betty alternate futures as well? So which one did he marry in this alternate future?

The Valeyard 04-08-14 06:01 PM

Both. Life with Archie runs two stories every issue. One future where he married Betty. The other where be married Veronica. The death of Archie will apparently take place in both futures.

Wolverine is also dying this Fall.

taffer 04-08-14 06:14 PM

So Archie has a multiverse too?

Ultimate Archie
Archie 2099
Earth-2 Archie

Crocker Jarmen 04-08-14 06:38 PM

It would be awesome if Archie sacrifices himself by jumping in front of The Punisher's gunfire.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...iePunisher.jpg

fujishig 04-08-14 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 12072177)
Both. Life with Archie runs two stories every issue. One future where he married Betty. The other where be married Veronica. The death of Archie will apparently take place in both futures.

Murdered by the one he doesn't pick? Or a secretly pining Kevin Keller? Now that would be a twist.

The big question is... are we getting a pieta cover?

hanshotfirst1138 04-08-14 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 12072177)

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...4coMRDcSZbeZjQ

That's news to me. Though pretty much everyone in comics dies at some point, and no one stays that way.

Paul_SD 04-09-14 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12072040)
BTW, if you haven't checked out Afterlife with Archie, it's worth a look. The zombie apocalypse comes to Riverdale. Really well done.

Yeah, I've heard this from several people now. Most recently from a friend who is a colorist at an indie publisher and still a huge regular weekly buyer of floppies.

While my favorite Archie stuff is still all Dan DeCarlo related, I've come to appreciate the property in general quite a bit. Would like to check it out once it gets collected as a trade or series of trades. I don't expect I'll ever buy another floppy as long as I live. The cost/value benefit just isn't there for me.

davidh777 04-09-14 10:48 AM

I was underwhelmed by the original Archie Marries.... series (partly because of the sloppy art), but I really like the Life with Archie series, which I've been keeping up with via TPB.

I've heard good things about Afterlife as well and will give it a look on TPB.

fujishig 04-09-14 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12072247)
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...4coMRDcSZbeZjQ

That's news to me. Though pretty much everyone in comics dies at some point, and no one stays that way.

I think the surprise, to me, is that Wolvie is dying in an Archie comic. Seems like an odd crossover, but what do I know? :)

Spiderbite 04-09-14 01:43 PM

I shouldn't have been surprised but the KISS meets Archie set that came out a couple of years ago was horrendous. I should have know better but being a major KISS fan and a minor Archie fan, I bought it blind. Regret sucks.

taffer 04-09-14 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12072776)
I think the surprise, to me, is that Wolvie is dying in an Archie comic. Seems like an odd crossover, but what do I know? :)

Didn't the end of the Archie/Punisher crossover tease a Jughead/Wolverine crossover? Maybe Jughead kills Wolverine!

bluetoast 04-09-14 03:07 PM

Pretty funny that Micro was about to initiate a romance with Mrs. Grundy, and years later Punisher kills him. I'll have to get these Life With Archie TPBs.

Edit: And now that I'm looking at these covers, I'm going to have to pick up a few of #36 and #37 as well. I've been buying Archie comics since 1991, but I didn't get into the present day alternate universe stuff. Though I was a fine of Archie 3000 and Jughead's Diner (and that was pretty damn trippy). Just pre-ordered Afterlife With Archie.

davidh777 08-23-14 09:56 AM

FWIW, I read a couple issues of the Death of Archie arc. No spoilers, but I thought it was pretty good. Melodramatic, yeah, but the whole Life with Archie series has been melodramatic, and it works for the most part.

I finally caught up with this as well:

http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default...ith-archie.png

Afterlife with Archie is even more messed up than I expected, but it's also really good. It starts with the same characters and relationships we're familiar with, but the first six issues feel like it's a standalone universe where they don't care what the hell they do, which makes it really interesting to see what happens next. It kind of elevates the genre from a bunch of cookiecutter characters whom we don't like and don't care about because we know they're all goners, until we develop an attachment to the cute girl who we think has a chance to make it out.