Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Old 08-26-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you read?

Currently reading Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon. Read the first part last night and it was incredible, but sleep beckoned.
Old 08-29-13, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finished:

Liked both of these quite a bit, especially Matt Fraction's work on the latter. I've been on a big Iron Man kick lately, so it's cool reading these books and seeing all the different elements that popped up in the films. I just ordered the next couple books in the series.
Old 08-29-13, 01:25 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

March. It was really, really good.
Old 08-29-13, 01:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fujishig
That Shade series came out? That was the one that was on death's door because people were waiting for the collection, right? Or is it a different one? Did that post new-52 one actually end properly?
I think it's post new-52, but I'm not 100% certain. I know it's within the last 2-3 years.

Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Shade-Jame...robinson+shade
Old 08-31-13, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally read all of my Y the Last Man deluxe hardcovers.

Not embarrassed to say I was pretty much sobbing after the last issue.
Old 09-08-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Just picked off these. The HC was a reread of material I had in TPB. This series continues to do it for me.

Old 09-10-13, 11:27 AM

Finished:

This was not good. I re-read Kingdom Come recently and found that it held up pretty well. This felt like a chore though. Overly long and convoluted. One thing that really bugs me, in comics and in film, is when writers confuse plotting with storytelling. This is just a series of plot points which never really add up to anything. It's got an interesting premise, and there are some cool ideas scattered throughout, but most of it feels half-baked and unfinished. The last three chapters are just one confusing fight scene. The panels are too cluttered and too reliant on captions. None of the characters have any personality and it's sometimes difficult to tell who is narrating. Plus, at the end, Green Lantern basically uses his power ring to "fix" everything.
Old 09-10-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I finally read all of my Y the Last Man deluxe hardcovers.

Not embarrassed to say I was pretty much sobbing after the last issue.
Spoiler:
I lost it during the scene with Ampersand.
Old 09-10-13, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Finished:

This was not good. I re-read Kingdom Come recently and found that it held up pretty well. This felt like a chore though. Overly long and convoluted. One thing that really bugs me, in comics and in film, is when writers confuse plotting with storytelling. This is just a series of plot points which never really add up to anything. It's got an interesting premise, and there are some cool ideas scattered throughout, but most of it feels half-baked and unfinished. The last three chapters are just one confusing fight scene. The panels are too cluttered and too reliant on captions. None of the characters have any personality and it's sometimes difficult to tell who is narrating. Plus, at the end, Green Lantern basically uses his power ring to "fix" everything.
Funny, among the other titles I've posted in this thread, I also got this one from the library and started it but had to return it because someone else had requested it (so no renewal). Sounds like I'm not missing much, and maybe I should instead go back to trying to finish Kingdom Come, which I've started twice already.
Old 09-10-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Funny, among the other titles I've posted in this thread, I also got this one from the library and started it but had to return it because someone else had requested it (so no renewal). Sounds like I'm not missing much, and maybe I should instead go back to trying to finish Kingdom Come, which I've started twice already.
Kingdom Come is actually one of my favorite stories in comics.
Old 09-10-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The absolute edition of Justice looks beautiful. It's okay as a story but I have a special place in my heart for the Superfriends.
Old 09-10-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by exharrison
Kingdom Come is actually one of my favorite stories in comics.
It's definitely on my to-finish list, and I enjoyed what I read of it. Just one of those things.
Old 09-11-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's definitely on my to-finish list, and I enjoyed what I read of it. Just one of those things.
I find it very dense and a relatively slow read.
Old 09-13-13, 01:14 AM
Suspended

I'm about halfway through RASL (and loving it!) and I just found out that Jeff Smith is coming to my LCS in early October. Whoot! I'm going to have him sign my copy of Bone (I've got the ginormous black and white collection of the whole series).
Old 09-14-13, 03:48 PM

Finished:

I'm working my way through Matt Fraction's Iron Man run and from what I read, this crossover was supposed to be a major turning point in the upcoming books, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I have a life-long love/hate relationship with crossover books. On one hand, it's fun to see a huge story involving a mega-gangbang of superheroes and villains. On the other hand, they're almost always disappointing, and this is really no exception. The story centers around a Skrull invasion of Earth and I'm just really burned out on alien invasions, both in comics and in film. The only thing more overdone is the zombie apocalypse, which also needs to be put to rest. There's some fun stuff happening throughout the book, and I've enjoyed Bendis's work on other books, particularly the first volume of Powers, which I read recently. But the artwork is kind of shoddy, and I often had no idea what was happening. There's this one sequence that is so hilariously stupid; it's a two or three page fight scene that consists of sound effects and characters grunting at each other, and the art is so vague and crude looking that...well, let me just copy it word-for-word.

It goes:
SHPUNK FUNK SHPUNK FUNK

BOOM SABOOM FABOOM BOOM

"RRA! DAMN!"

"NO..."

FUMP

"HUURRAGGHH!"
"AAGGH!"

BOOMBOOMBOOM
"THEN THIS IS HOW IT MUST BE."

"HE LOVES US. HE LOVES US ALL."
TEK

"AGH!"

"I--I NEED A LITTLE--"
FABOOM

"AAAGGHHH!"

And there's just pages and pages of that type of thing. Without wikipedia's help, I would have had no idea what was even happening. The story ends with
Spoiler:
the Wasp being turned into a chemical weapon and almost blowing everyone up, but then Thor does...something...to save everyone (except for Wasp, who ends up dying).
Which...I don't know, I never get that fanboy boner that comic fans get when a major character dies, so I found the whole thing depressing.

And then
Spoiler:
Norman Osborne is appointed the head of H.A.M.M.E.R., which is a new organization designed to replace S.H.I.E.L.D.
That bit was actually pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out in Iron Man. I just wish I didn't have to read a mediocre cross-over to get the full story.
Old 09-15-13, 07:33 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I'm alternating my DC Continuity Quest with some new 52 stuff; currently enjoying the first volume of I, Vampire.
Trevor, I don't know when your Bronze Age quest will get to Marvel, but I couldn't resist these three Marvel Firsts: 1970s volumes. They pull out some really obscure stuff, and sometimes it just whets the appetite for more, but it's pretty fun. Quality printing too, though it makes the thought of continuing a series in Essentials format a bit less appealing.

I passed on the 1960s volume figuring I'd have a lot of that in other formats, and I see they're continuing with WWII and the '80s.
I just ordered one of those from Gohastings thanks to someone posting a discount code and costing me a hundred bucks!
Originally Posted by JasonF
I'm about halfway through RASL (and loving it!) and I just found out that Jeff Smith is coming to my LCS in early October. Whoot! I'm going to have him sign my copy of Bone (I've got the ginormous black and white collection of the whole series).
I'm ashamed to say that I bought the Bone single issues early on, fell in love with the series, but haven't read past issue 15 or so. I own the ginormous book as well, still in the plastic Westfield Comics shipped it in. I'd definitely be interested in meeting him and getting that book signed someday.
Old 09-16-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I picked this up at the library with no idea of what continuity it was, but Paul Levitz wrote it, and the art looked pretty good (Giffen did part of one issue), and it's the Legion, so what the heck, right?

While I'm a big fan of the original Legion run, I'm pretty lost when it comes to all the reboots so I go into almost every new collection not knowing what to expect. As long as the central characters are familiar, I can figure out the rest. Pretty much the case here, as some of the people were completely new to me ("Earth-Man"???). But the stories were pretty interesting and somewhat self-contained, and had some intriguing concepts (new Green Lantern). Worth what I paid for it.
Old 09-16-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DC seems absolutely lost in how to handle the Legion. Being set in the far future, they really can't tie the book to Superman anymore in modern continuity and there are few other ways to tie them to the rest of the DC line. Probably their most mismanaged book over the past twenty-five years.
Old 09-16-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally did this one too.

Saga v2 is on the way next.

I'll have to check out RASL, Bone was one of my favorite reads of the last few years.
Old 09-16-13, 01:54 PM
Suspended

I picked this up at the library with no idea of what continuity it was, but Paul Levitz wrote it, and the art looked pretty good (Giffen did part of one issue), and it's the Legion, so what the heck, right?

While I'm a big fan of the original Legion run, I'm pretty lost when it comes to all the reboots so I go into almost every new collection not knowing what to expect. As long as the central characters are familiar, I can figure out the rest. Pretty much the case here, as some of the people were completely new to me ("Earth-Man"???). But the stories were pretty interesting and somewhat self-contained, and had some intriguing concepts (new Green Lantern). Worth what I paid for it.
Geoff Johns and Gary Frank did a storyline in Superman called Superman and the Legion of Superheroes that picks up a continuity that is more or less continuing on from right before the Giffen/Bierbaum "Five Years Later" run. That arc introduced Earth Man.

From there, you have Legion of Three Worlds, which was an Infinite Crisis tie-in and reconciled that version of the Legion, the post-Zero Hour Legion, and the Mark Waid/Barry Kitson version. At the end of the story, we're left with what is basically the pre-Five Years Later continuity, with some minor tweaks.

The book you read picks up right there, with Paul Levitz coming back to the Legion for the first time since 1989 and basically starting continuity right where he left off in 1989 (plus the two story arcs I described above).

That continuity continues on until the New 52 and is one of the better runs in the Legion's history, IMO. After New 52, the continuity doesn't change, but for whatever reason, the quality of the book dropped (again IMO). The book continued until this month (I think), and has now been cancelled.
Old 09-17-13, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JasonF
Geoff Johns and Gary Frank did a storyline in Superman called Superman and the Legion of Superheroes that picks up a continuity that is more or less continuing on from right before the Giffen/Bierbaum "Five Years Later" run. That arc introduced Earth Man.

From there, you have Legion of Three Worlds, which was an Infinite Crisis tie-in and reconciled that version of the Legion, the post-Zero Hour Legion, and the Mark Waid/Barry Kitson version. At the end of the story, we're left with what is basically the pre-Five Years Later continuity, with some minor tweaks.

The book you read picks up right there, with Paul Levitz coming back to the Legion for the first time since 1989 and basically starting continuity right where he left off in 1989 (plus the two story arcs I described above).

That continuity continues on until the New 52 and is one of the better runs in the Legion's history, IMO. After New 52, the continuity doesn't change, but for whatever reason, the quality of the book dropped (again IMO). The book continued until this month (I think), and has now been cancelled.
I was hoping you'd weigh in with your knowledge of Legion lore.

Funny thing is, I have a number of TPBs from this era, INCLUDING the Superman volume and a number of the Supergirls. At one point I tried to sequence these and read them in order, but the project fell through, and I still have absolutely no sense of this continuity. I guess I should take another shot at it.

In related news, I see they're releasing the newer Great Darkness volume in PB. I love my HC but this would be an excellent buy for people who don't have that.
Old 09-17-13, 11:18 AM
Suspended

I was hoping you'd weigh in with your knowledge of Legion lore.

Funny thing is, I have a number of TPBs from this era, INCLUDING the Superman volume and a number of the Supergirls. At one point I tried to sequence these and read them in order, but the project fell through, and I still have absolutely no sense of this continuity. I guess I should take another shot at it.

In related news, I see they're releasing the newer Great Darkness volume in PB. I love my HC but this would be an excellent buy for people who don't have that.
The Supergirl stuff is from the Waid/Kitson era. Good stuff, but a completely different continuity from that Johns/Frank Superman volume or the Levitz stuff.

And yeah, Great Darkness is probably one of the great comics of the 80s. Highly, highly recommended to anyone who hasn't read it.
Old 09-17-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Sad that there's no Legion monthly anymore... that title has been through so many creative and continuity changes, but I agree that it lost steam after the new 52 started (and they split the team). Heck, I thought it lost some steam before that, but I'm a huge fan of the Five Years Later run (even though there's no way they could continue with that), and wasn't a big fan of some of the changes, especially Shady's decision.
Old 09-17-13, 12:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I got into Legion briefly in the late 70s (?) and really enjoyed it; but the huge history and my completest OCD made me quit before I really started.

If DC was going to allow multiple or different continuities than this new 52, Legion seems like the perfect book to try it.
Old 09-17-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I lost interest in the Legion when they removed Superboy from it. The first comic book I ever read as a kid was a Legion issue from the late 1970s.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.