Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Old 01-29-18, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you read?

I blind-bought this on good buzz. Honestly I'm not a huge Dennis fan, and his shenanigans can get annoying, but the book itself is beautifully put together, with a ton of archival material plus interviews with the creators and such. So I probably won't re-read this very often, but it's a really impressive package, and I'm tempted to get the first two volumes in the series just to support the release.

Old 02-01-18, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Don Rosa UNCLE SCROOGE & DONALD DUCK Library vols. 3 and 4.
Old 02-01-18, 10:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel
Don Rosa UNCLE SCROOGE & DONALD DUCK Library vols. 3 and 4.
I really need to move those Rosa collections to the top of my reading piles.
Old 02-01-18, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I went through a huge Rosa phase a few years ago when the stories were only available in random paperbacks. Now that I have most of the Fantagraphics volumes, I should go through them to see what I've missed.
Old 02-09-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was browsing a used book store over the weekend and ran into something called Tex the Lonesome Rider, written by Claudio Nizzi and illustrated by Joe Kubert. So essentially a spaghetti Western with Kubert art! Turns out it's only $5.99 on Kindle so I read it this week. I'm a sucker for anything Kubert, but I thought the story was really interesting too, and over 200 pages. I guess the character has appeared in a number of stories but this is the only Kubert comic. It was also released under the title The Four Killers.

Old 02-18-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts

I just started Resident Alien Volume 1: Welcome to Earth! I'm about thirty pages in and I'm really enjoying it so far.
Old 02-23-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

Annihilation Books 1, 2 & 3
(Drax the Destroyer 1-4, Annihilation: Prologue, Annihilation: Nova 1-4, Annihilation: Silver Surfer 1-4, Annihilation: Super-Skrull 1-4, Annihilation: Ronan 1-4, Annihilation 1-6, Annihilation: Heralds of Galactus 1-2)

I really love the Jim Starlin cosmic corner of the Marvel Universe and was eager to finally read Annihilation knowing that it's pretty popular and basically restarted Marvel's entire cosmic line. Unfortunately I was a bit underwhelmed. It's not a bad story by any means, although some of the lead up mini-series probably could have been skipped (Super-Skrull and Ronan I'm looking at you). My biggest problem with it all was just a generic war story and you could have swapped in just about any other characters and it would have felt the same. Missing was the cosmic wonder and mysticism of Starlin's stuff. Those stories felt larger than life. The characters were operating on a plane above and beyond human understanding. I've also always thought Annihilus was one of the stupider looking characters, which kind of diminishes his threat level for me, but that's nitpicking. It did hold my interest long enough to keep going into Annihilation Conquest and Guardians of the Galaxy and all that. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more now that I understand and accept it's not Starlin.

The Avengers: The Trial of Yellow Jacket
(Avengers 212-230)

This book is the bridge between the end of Jim Shooter's run and the beginning of Roger Stern's. The bulk of it revolves around the infamous story where Hank Pym hits the Wasp and is kicked out of the Avengers. I had never read this before but certainly was aware of its reputation. After reading it, I don't think it's quite the hit piece that so many people make it out to be. The story itself makes perfect sense given Pym's history and brings a dose of adult reality not previously present in the book (whether or not that's a good thing I guess is up to the individual readers). Honestly, I think Shooter's biggest mistake was a lack of subtlety in Avengers #213. Instead of making it clear that Pym had been under a ton of stress and just sort of snapped in the moment, he comes off like the jerkiest jerk-off who ever did jerk in that one issue. I think the rest of the story plays out fine and adds good depth to both him and the Wasp. Some of that may be thanks to Stern who is the one who actually finished the story. Shooter was struggling to keep up on writing duties after becoming EiC, which is obvious due to the number of fill-in issues sprinkled throughout this volume, and had to leave. The quality of the book noticeably jumps up a notch when Stern takes over. The rest of the stuff included is more or less middling, with average, at best, art. Of note is Tigra's brief run as a member (thankfully she goes away quickly) during which the big 3 (Captain America, Iron Man, Thor) learn each other's secret identities for the first time in surprisingly unceremonious fashion.
Old 02-23-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a lot of those "events" to catch up on. I've started both the Infinity Gauntlet and War of Kings omniboo, but not finished them, due in no small part to the difficult reading size. I probably have Annihilation too.
Old 02-23-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I started reading Blackest Night a few days ago. Up to Part 3 right now.
Old 02-23-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312

Annihilation Books 1, 2 & 3
(Drax the Destroyer 1-4, Annihilation: Prologue, Annihilation: Nova 1-4, Annihilation: Silver Surfer 1-4, Annihilation: Super-Skrull 1-4, Annihilation: Ronan 1-4, Annihilation 1-6, Annihilation: Heralds of Galactus 1-2)

I really love the Jim Starlin cosmic corner of the Marvel Universe and was eager to finally read Annihilation knowing that it's pretty popular and basically restarted Marvel's entire cosmic line. Unfortunately I was a bit underwhelmed. It's not a bad story by any means, although some of the lead up mini-series probably could have been skipped (Super-Skrull and Ronan I'm looking at you). My biggest problem with it all was just a generic war story and you could have swapped in just about any other characters and it would have felt the same. Missing was the cosmic wonder and mysticism of Starlin's stuff. Those stories felt larger than life. The characters were operating on a plane above and beyond human understanding. I've also always thought Annihilus was one of the stupider looking characters, which kind of diminishes his threat level for me, but that's nitpicking. It did hold my interest long enough to keep going into Annihilation Conquest and Guardians of the Galaxy and all that. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more now that I understand and accept it's not Starlin.

The Avengers: The Trial of Yellow Jacket
(Avengers 212-230)

This book is the bridge between the end of Jim Shooter's run and the beginning of Roger Stern's. The bulk of it revolves around the infamous story where Hank Pym hits the Wasp and is kicked out of the Avengers. I had never read this before but certainly was aware of its reputation. After reading it, I don't think it's quite the hit piece that so many people make it out to be. The story itself makes perfect sense given Pym's history and brings a dose of adult reality not previously present in the book (whether or not that's a good thing I guess is up to the individual readers). Honestly, I think Shooter's biggest mistake was a lack of subtlety in Avengers #213. Instead of making it clear that Pym had been under a ton of stress and just sort of snapped in the moment, he comes off like the jerkiest jerk-off who ever did jerk in that one issue. I think the rest of the story plays out fine and adds good depth to both him and the Wasp. Some of that may be thanks to Stern who is the one who actually finished the story. Shooter was struggling to keep up on writing duties after becoming EiC, which is obvious due to the number of fill-in issues sprinkled throughout this volume, and had to leave. The quality of the book noticeably jumps up a notch when Stern takes over. The rest of the stuff included is more or less middling, with average, at best, art. Of note is Tigra's brief run as a member (thankfully she goes away quickly) during which the big 3 (Captain America, Iron Man, Thor) learn each other's secret identities for the first time in surprisingly unceremonious fashion.
To me the beauty of the Annihilation books was that it brought all the Marvel cosmic characters together in the face of, well, annihilation. True, it's a war story, but one where the good guys are losing and even the cosmic big guns are kind of helpless. I liked the format of the minis, each featuring a different cast of characters. Also the cosmic universe was sort of a haven from the civil war shenanigans happening in the rest of the books at the time...

As for Pym, Shooter swears the way he scripted the panel was very different:

http://jimshooter.com/2011/03/hank-p...e-beater.html/

In that story (issue 213, I think), there is a scene in which Hank is supposed to have accidentally struck Jan while throwing his hands up in despair and frustration—making a sort of “get away from me” gesture while not looking at her. Bob Hall, who had been taught by John Buscema to always go for the most extreme action, turned that into a right cross! There was no time to have it redrawn, which, to this day has caused the tragic story of Hank Pym to be known as the “wife-beater” story.
Old 02-23-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

I actually don't have a problem with how that panel is drawn. It's more the way he out of nowhere just starts acting like a giant dick in the lead up to that panel. Had the progression of his breakdown been slower and more organic, I honestly think it would have played fine. Of course doesn't it all get retconned in secret invasion? I haven't read that yet, but I think I heard Pym is revealed to be one of the Skrulls.
Old 02-23-18, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I wish Marvel would put the Annihilation omnibus back into print. The original goes for serious money on the secondary market.
Old 02-24-18, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I wish Marvel would put the Annihilation omnibus back into print. The original goes for serious money on the secondary market.
Really? I had no idea (if have something, I don't keep tabs on if it's oop or not). So now I'm weary of reading it in case I damage it or something.

The War of the Kings storyline (that's collected across 3 huge omnibuses) is a pretty good "cosmic" Marvel story as well.
Old 02-24-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished Resident Alien Vol. 1 and I really enjoyed it. I bought the other three volumes. I signed up for a free month of Comixology unlimited today. There's a lot of trades on there that I wanted to read, but was hesistant in buying them. I just started Chew Vol. 1 on Comixology.

Old 02-25-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I actually don't have a problem with how that panel is drawn. It's more the way he out of nowhere just starts acting like a giant dick in the lead up to that panel. Had the progression of his breakdown been slower and more organic, I honestly think it would have played fine. Of course doesn't it all get retconned in secret invasion? I haven't read that yet, but I think I heard Pym is revealed to be one of the Skrulls.
Iirc, he was a skrull but he was replaced long after the wife beating part of it (and the Skrull Pym was the one who had the fling with Tigra resulting in a baby).
Old 02-25-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Iirc, he was a skrull but he was replaced long after the wife beating part of it (and the Skrull Pym was the one who had the fling with Tigra resulting in a baby).
What? Was everyone married to a skrull? I remember when Alicia was revealed to be a skrull.
Old 02-25-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shadokitty
What? Was everyone married to a skrull? I remember when Alicia was revealed to be a skrull.
Yeah that, to me, will always be one of the lowest points of theFF, the whole Lyra the laser fist and future franklin stuff.

The Secret Invasion storyline basically revolved around a lot of characters having been replaced or manipulated by skrulls for some time.
Old 03-20-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hawkeye, Vol. 2: Little Hits

Really enjoying this Hawkeye series so far. I think it would make a good movie or tv series.
Old 03-20-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

After almost 20 years of not regularly reading comics, I got a Comixology Unlimited trial a few days ago. Last night I finished Planet Hulk. I’ve also read Locke & Key volumes 1-3 and the original Old Man Logan story within the last few days. Next up is World War Hulk, then maybe Invincible.
Old 03-31-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction

I really enjoyed it. I'm starting Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake The Devil now.

Old 04-08-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Recently re-read Stray Bullets Hardcovers Volumes 1-3...Love this comic...I still feel this would make an amazing HBO series...Can't remember if this has still been optioned, but I know it was at some point back in the day...David Lapham remains one of my favorite comic book writers/artists...A TV series would be amazing...

Starting to re-read all of Rucka's Queen and Country graphic novels...Very diverse series and I love the rotating series of artists that they use...Would probably tie Transmetropitan as my favorite all-time comic series...
Old 04-13-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just started Hellboy Vol. 3 The Chained Coffin and Others

Old 05-19-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished reading Hellboy Vol. 4 and will be taking a break from Hellboy since comixology unlimited doesn't have Vol. 5 or 6.

I just started The Sixth Gun Vol. 1
Old 05-22-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I've always wanted to check out The Sixth Gun but never gotten around to it. Someone optioned it for a movie, though I believe that stalled.
Old 05-22-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I read a volume of Sixth Gun and liked it but didn't pursue more. I was also reading a zombie Western at the time called Rotten (RIP) so I might have wanted a break.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.