Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/collection you read?

Old 09-19-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you read?

Originally Posted by starman9000

Saga v2 is on the way next.
Darn, this got canceled from hastings Amazon time I guess.
Old 09-19-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The father of one of my students is an inker for DC, so I asked her for some recommendations since I haven't read anything in AGES. Gave me a long list of titles to check out, starting with her faves, which included this, which she loaned to me:

Had already seen the film, which I enjoyed, despite Cera, but I couldn't get his voice outta my head as I read this.

I thought it telling that many of her dad's recommendations--despite being in the industry--were for things I'd read years ago, including The Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, Watchmen, The Killing Joke.

Curious as to what recent titles he comes back with.
Old 09-19-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF

That continuity continues on until the New 52 and is one of the better runs in the Legion's history, IMO. After New 52, the continuity doesn't change, but for whatever reason, the quality of the book dropped (again IMO). The book continued until this month (I think), and has now been cancelled.
Yes. It's been cancelled and in the final issue, DC revealed that the Legion continuity takes place on Earth 2. Not on Earth 0 (Earth New52).

In December, DC will release Justice League 3000. Presumably, that takes place on Earth 0 until sales tank.

I really liked the Levitz run before the New52 hit. It felt like it lost it's way after that. Shooter's run was a mess. Don't know if it was him or editorial interference.
Old 09-19-13, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Justice League 3000, the one that Maguire was fired from?

Shooter's blog (which is not being updated now) has long diatribes on what went wrong with his final Legion run, including calling out miscommunications with artist Francis Manapul, and his frustration with Johns resurrecting the original Legion without even telling him. Here's a bleedingcool article comparing what Shooter describes as his script and what Manapul drew.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/...f-superheroes/

Last edited by fujishig; 09-19-13 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Yes. Maguire was dropped from the book and Porter came on.

Thanks for that link!
Old 09-19-13, 03:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Been working my way through Strangers In Paradise again. I love having all the material in one place (I got the omnibus), but the size of this means I can only ever read it at home.
Old 09-19-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the best format for a newb to read those?
Old 09-19-13, 06:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As I said, the omnibus contains everything, but it's not portable in the slightest. I think there are mini collections, but there's a lot of them.
Old 09-19-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Finished:

And there's just pages and pages of that type of thing. Without wikipedia's help, I would have had no idea what was even happening. The story ends with
Spoiler:
the Wasp being turned into a chemical weapon and almost blowing everyone up, but then Thor does...something...to save everyone (except for Wasp, who ends up dying).
Which...I don't know, I never get that fanboy boner that comic fans get when a major character dies, so I found the whole thing depressing.

And then
Spoiler:
Norman Osborne is appointed the head of H.A.M.M.E.R., which is a new organization designed to replace S.H.I.E.L.D.
That bit was actually pretty cool. I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out in Iron Man. I just wish I didn't have to read a mediocre cross-over to get the full story.
I'm not sure how to tell you this, but ever since around Civil War or so (I realize it probably started with Secret War and then House of M, but Civil War seemed like the first major all company crossover one), the Marvel Universe has been basically one crossover to another crossover to another crossover to another crossover. Because Bendis was at the helm for most if not all of these, the seeds are all in New Avengers.
Old 09-20-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

And while I won't argue that Jim Lee is a talented guy, I was just never a fan of his style. All of the panels are cluttered and noisy, every character has the same facial expression, and most of the time it is incredibly difficult to tell just what is happening. Not to mention the dialogue and captions, which are so cluttered and dense, that it is often hard to tell exactly what order they are supposed to be read in. Such a joyless chore to get through.
I've been saying that after his initial run on Uncanny. He's full of himself and every other artist that mimick his style his horrible. I just don't get why he is so popular.

I recently read "Son of the Demon" for the first time. I've always owned the original hardcover but never opened the shrinkwrap. It's too late to do that now. I found a used but very good softbound copy for $1 at a used bookstore. I thought it was decent and it was suppose to be a story out of canon until recent years.
Old 09-21-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm not sure how to tell you this, but ever since around Civil War or so (I realize it probably started with Secret War and then House of M, but Civil War seemed like the first major all company crossover one), the Marvel Universe has been basically one crossover to another crossover to another crossover to another crossover. Because Bendis was at the helm for most if not all of these, the seeds are all in New Avengers.
Yeah, I took a ten-year break from comics and have recently been getting back into them through trades. I've been slowly filling in the gaps and have noticed that crossovers have basically become the norm. Growing up, I remember it was usually a once-a-year type of event, but now there is a new one every month or so. While I understand it from a business point of view, it bums me out that comics have become impenetrable to new readers.
Old 09-21-13, 09:49 AM

Finished:

Not much to say, other than that I am totally loving these books. Smart and fun with excellent writing and terrific artwork.
Old 09-22-13, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

I just finished the 8th Irredeemable book. I need to pick up the last two, and Incorruptible past the second book.
Old 09-22-13, 11:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Finished:

Not much to say, other than that I am totally loving these books. Smart and fun with excellent writing and terrific artwork.
I guess Comixology's current sale on vol 1 might be a good chance for me to finally try Fraction's stuff.
Old 09-22-13, 11:54 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I just read the third collection of the Azarello/Chiang Wonder Woman run. They are knocking it out of the park. Probably the only non-Vertigo DC book I would hold up as excellent (Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and All-Star Western come close, but I have reservations about all three).
Old 09-22-13, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I guess Comixology's current sale on vol 1 might be a good chance for me to finally try Fraction's stuff.
Volume 1 is excellent. If you haven't already, you might also want to check out the Warren Ellis book, Extremis.
Old 09-22-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Read The Theater from Zenescope today. It was a nice little set of horror/thriller tales. Nothing special, but an entertaining enough diversion from my diet of capes.
Old 09-23-13, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Knocked out the Invincible Ultimate Collection #8 last night. It has been sitting on my to read pile and I just hadn't gotten around to it. I'm sure there are some mixed opinions on it, but I actually really enjoyed the Robot and Monster Girl storyline running in the background. It honestly continues to be one of the books that really helps me any time I feel like I'm starting to fatigue on the mainstream with events and what not.
Old 09-23-13, 10:27 AM

Finished:

What the hell was this worthless piece of shit? This felt like one of those Heroes Reborn reboots that Marvel put out in the mid-90s. It's like a Jim Lee sketchbook held together by the thinnest possible storyline that they could come up with. Each issue has four or five pointless double splash pages. You can almost hear the writer sigh with relief, like, "Phew, two pages down and I hardly had to write any dialogue or captions!" And each splash page is, like, Wonder Woman punching someone and saying "TAKE THAT!" Just awful, awful shit. Oh, and it's about an alien invasion that threatens Earth. They must have really strained themselves to come up with such a strikingly original concept.

The story is about the formation of the Justice League and how they first met. I'm assuming the creators of the book watched the Star Trek reboots, because at first all of the superheroes hate each other and are fighting for no reason at all. That shit is so edgy and kewl. But then guess what! They put aside their differences and become a team. You see, at first, all the characters are hitting Darkseid one at a time. But then Batman realizes, "Hey guys! If we hit Darkseid ALL AT THE SAME TIME, we'll stand a much better chance of defeating him." AND THEN IT TOTALLY WORKS!

None of the characters have any personality traits except for Green Lantern, whose main super power is to act like a giant dick all the time. And then halfway through the book, Batman takes off his mask and reveals his secret identity. Which is so totally Batman.

Oh, and Cyborg is a founding member of the Justice League now. Because diversity.

I don't have the book handy, but my favorite part is near the end, after the Justice League saves the day, a bunch of generic bystanders start cheering and saying stuff like, "YOU DID IT!" and "WE'RE SAVED!" And then one person says something like, "YOU ARE THE GREATEST HEROES EVER!"

This was my first foray into the New-52 and I am honestly in awe of how hilariously stupid the whole thing was.
Old 09-23-13, 11:24 AM

^ That makes me glad that I've held out on reading that particular book yet. Justice League Dark, Flash, and I Vampire were recent first trade reads of mine and decent enough.

But the Justice League has always been my favorite team, I own almost every issue since their Brave and Bold inception, so it saddens me that their beginnings in the new 52 were so poor. I'll get to the issues/trades soon I guess.
Old 09-23-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished:

What the hell was this worthless piece of shit? This felt like one of those Heroes Reborn reboots that Marvel put out in the mid-90s. It's like a Jim Lee sketchbook held together by the thinnest possible storyline that they could come up with. Each issue has four or five pointless double splash pages. You can almost hear the writer sigh with relief, like, "Phew, two pages down and I hardly had to write any dialogue or captions!" And each splash page is, like, Wonder Woman punching someone and saying "TAKE THAT!" Just awful, awful shit. Oh, and it's about an alien invasion that threatens Earth. They must have really strained themselves to come up with such a strikingly original concept.

The story is about the formation of the Justice League and how they first met. I'm assuming the creators of the book watched the Star Trek reboots, because at first all of the superheroes hate each other and are fighting for no reason at all. That shit is so edgy and kewl. But then guess what! They put aside their differences and become a team. You see, at first, all the characters are hitting Darkseid one at a time. But then Batman realizes, "Hey guys! If we hit Darkseid ALL AT THE SAME TIME, we'll stand a much better chance of defeating him." AND THEN IT TOTALLY WORKS!

None of the characters have any personality traits except for Green Lantern, whose main super power is to act like a giant dick all the time. And then halfway through the book, Batman takes off his mask and reveals his secret identity. Which is so totally Batman.

Oh, and Cyborg is a founding member of the Justice League now. Because diversity.

I don't have the book handy, but my favorite part is near the end, after the Justice League saves the day, a bunch of generic bystanders start cheering and saying stuff like, "YOU DID IT!" and "WE'RE SAVED!" And then one person says something like, "YOU ARE THE GREATEST HEROES EVER!"

This was my first foray into the New-52 and I am honestly in awe of how hilariously stupid the whole thing was.
I've said this before, but:

Hmm... a major event where a character from the mainstream universe gets stuck in a post-apocalyptic alternate universe where familiar characters are twisted because of a slight change to history. A Kubert does the art.

Sales are plummeting, so relaunch major characters in an alternate universe where everything starts from scratch, put it in the hands of Jim Lee and Rob Liefeld. Realize Liefeld just isn't working out and fire him early.

Artists are hot and writers are interchangeable anyway, let the artists write the books.

Need a boost in sales? Let's do holographic covers. Make them limited and collectible. $$$

It's like DC took pages out of the Marvel of the 90's playbook.

On a sidenote, according to this wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_Reborn
Sales were so good that Marvel asked Lee to extend Heroes Reborn indefinitely, as long as Lee drew one of the titles, and he refused.
Old 09-23-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Finished:

Honestly, I thought the issue was an embarrassment to DC. The first arc on the New 52 Justice League was awful and horribly conceived, intended for people that hadn't seen a comic book in two decades or disenchanted Marvelites. The series does get better.
Old 09-23-13, 04:26 PM

^ It's good to know that it gets better, but it sounds like it almost had to.

Coincidentally, in my alternating TPB reading program of old DC then new 52, I had the first Justice League International volume with me today, and decided to read it after Greg's other JL review.

It was quite mediocre, but ended better than it began.
Old 09-23-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished:

That was a good run. One of the better Dark Reign tie-ins.

It's like DC took pages out of the Marvel of the 90's playbook.
No surprises there since Bob Harras is DC's EIC

Last edited by The Valeyard; 09-23-13 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-26-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just finished this:

Started out pretty strong, both in story and especially art, but about halfway through, Hitch leaves and the story just sorta' shits the bed, and everyone "magically forgets" all that happened, just like in so many other major crossovers.

Also;
I've said this before, but:
Hmm... a major event where a character from the mainstream universe gets stuck in a post-apocalyptic alternate universe where familiar characters are twisted because of a slight change to history.
Yeah, pretty much that...

It's like DC took pages out of the Marvel of the 90's playbook.\
And now Marvel did the same - it's like a snake eating itself.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.