Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Depends on your vacation, of course. I tend to fly to Hawaii or the East Coast, so I need something that's not too heavy and will last a long time. So no omniboo. One black-and-white phonebook collection will usually last me five or six hours on a plane, assuming it's something that holds my interest that long, of course. No Silver Age DC. I really like the Epic Collections for this purpose--a little heavier and thinner than the phonebooks, but still plenty of reading.

Then once on vacation, if I'm seeing sights I won't have time to read, but sit-around vacations give me more reading time.
Old 03-24-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I can't imagine bringing an omnibus on a plane. When I was younger I'd pack Sandman trades for the plane ride. But for now I have my trusty iPad and a ton of comics.
Old 03-24-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Digital would be really handy for traveling, but I don't have a tablet and still prefer the paper experience.
Old 03-24-16, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
When I'm away on vacation, I'm too busy doing shit to read. So taking books with me, Omnibuses or even little paperbacks, are a non-issue. And if I do need something to read while lounging by a pool (which is not something I actually enjoy), I'll read an actual book, since comics go by too quick - I'd be done with a regular graphic novel in minutes.
I generally am busy if I'm on vacation too but I still usually will throw one in my bag in case I get bored for a while or whatever.
Old 03-25-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Last night I broke out my X-Men Omnibus #3 and read the first issue (#154). It was a little heavy, but not oversized like the Absolutes, and I didn't even need a table. And of course it looked great and was only the start of a big stack of issues (including the Wolverine miniseries). So
Old 03-31-16, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear
Daredevil: Season One
Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos
Spider-Man: Death of the Stacy's

Last edited by Mike86; 08-05-16 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-03-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Just bought a few huge Omnibus books:

Batman by Neal Adams

Gotham Central by Brubaker & Rucka

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns vol. 3

Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning
Old 05-04-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
Just bought a few huge Omnibus books:
Damn, a bunch of omniboo came out this week. IST has the Gotham Central and GotG you mention, plus reissues of Spider-Man #1 and Uncanny X-Men #1, all for 50% off. I've been picking up Silver and Bronze Age omniboo during release week for the last few months, but Spider-Man and X-Men I already have in much more readable paperback Masterworks volumes so I'm not sure if I need those.
Old 05-04-16, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last buy was Batman: The Black Mirror.
Old 05-05-16, 05:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Old 05-06-16, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just finished Walking Dead Compendium 1. $45 well spent.
Old 05-08-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Got these from the GoHastings 3 for $10 deal.

Pleasantly surprised. Everything was in good shape. The two hardcovers came with dustcovers that were free of rips or tears even. Only draw back was the stickers that they put on everything. Came off, but left a sticky residue on some of the books.

Last edited by jjcool; 05-08-16 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Fade Out: Act Three - Very good but somehow still disappointing. Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips doing a noir set in Hollywood during the HUAC blacklist sounds like the perfect book for me. It mostly works, but their work together is getting a bit too similar and the ending, while fitting, is a bit of a let down. Not their best work but still worth checking out. I'm enjoying Brubaker's Velvet more.

Harrow County: Twice Told - My favorite new book and proof that Image doesn't have all the great books even if it often feels that way. Mike Mignola has praised the book as "both wonderfully charming and genuinely creepy" and that's the best way to describe it. Cullen Bunn's plot is perfectly paced and Tyler Crooks' inks and water colors give the book a unique look. I stayed up way too late reading the first volume, Countless Haints, and this second volume. It's the second comic to give me bad dreams. (The other was an issue of Hellblazer.) I'm one of the few here who still gets floppies every month so I have three more issues to read tonight. Highest possible recommendation and very deserving of its Eisner nominations.

Graphic Ink: The DC Comics Art of Darwyn Cooke - I've been meaning to pick this up for a while for the odds and ends that I don't already own as floppies. I finally got it because I wanted more hardcovers for Cooke to sign at the Motor City Comic Con this weekend. Of course, the same day it arrived, Cooke cancelled the appearance.

Then it's on to the first two Hellboy Library Editions that are still shrink wrapped. Plan on rereading all of them to celebrate/mourn the end of the book.
Old 05-11-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those interested after my recommendation of Harrow County, here's the first issue.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/read-the-enti...bes-1745731278

The final panel of the first page and the entire final page factored heavily in my bad dream last night.
Old 06-23-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

I used the BN 30% off coupon this past weekend to finally pick up the first JSA omnibus. Holy crap is this thing a brick! I'll definitely get vol.2 at some point, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend vol.3? I quit reading the series when it was relaunched as "Justice Society of America," so I'm not sure how that one stacks up to the other two volumes.
Old 06-23-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I used the BN 30% off coupon this past weekend to finally pick up the first JSA omnibus. Holy crap is this thing a brick! I'll definitely get vol.2 at some point, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend vol.3? I quit reading the series when it was relaunched as "Justice Society of America," so I'm not sure how that one stacks up to the other two volumes.
I've bought all three volumes and haven't even finished reading volume 1.
Old 06-23-16, 04:22 PM

Tarzan sale at Dark Horse Digital, picked up the one collection I was missing.
Old 06-30-16, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Since I had just got the VUDU version of the Invader Zim complete series I decided to see if there was anything new in that universe that I may have missed over the years.

Filler Bunny was also a guilty pleasure, because he's cute as hell but all he wants is a glorious death. I was not aware of a complete collection of his stories.

Old 06-30-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Tarzan sale at Dark Horse Digital, picked up the one collection I was missing.
Which one was that? Not that it really matters, I guess, since you now have them all.
Old 07-01-16, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Which one was that? Not that it really matters, I guess, since you now have them all.
Iirc, it was a collection of newer stuff. I already had all the Kubert DC stuff (and have even read some of it!).
Old 07-01-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just finished Hack / Slash Omnibus Vol 1 & 2. Great stuff there.
Old 07-01-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Iirc, it was a collection of newer stuff. I already had all the Kubert DC stuff (and have even read some of it!).
Cool. I just bought the two newer collections and the Burne Hogarth from the sale. I'll get the Kuberts eventually.
Old 07-02-16, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Batman: Legends of The Dark Knight Volume 1
Daredevil: Born Again

Also picked up some some singles.
DC Rebirth
Gwenpool (issues 0-3)
Old 07-02-16, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

The Flash by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar trade paperback. I'm pretty sure I've read these issues in the distant past but cannot remember a single thing about the content. I really wish DC would have simply put out several omnibuses collecting all Flash issues ever released.

Flash is one of the few characters that you could get a reasonably complete portrayal of the character by simply reading his own book over the decades. Batman and Superman have been in too many side projects and team books to get the full sweep of their characters by merely reading their central books.
Old 07-02-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Flash by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar trade paperback. I'm pretty sure I've read these issues in the distant past but cannot remember a single thing about the content. I really wish DC would have simply put out several omnibuses collecting all Flash issues ever released.

Flash is one of the few characters that you could get a reasonably complete portrayal of the character by simply reading his own book over the decades. Batman and Superman have been in too many side projects and team books to get the full sweep of their characters by merely reading their central books.
This is the last TPB that I bought as well. I'm not a big fan of either writer but these stories were a hole in my Flash/Wally West collection. Though I'm glad that the stories don't feature what I consider the worst aspects of either writer, the collection is a mixed bag. The Black Flash and Emergency Stop are quite good while The Human Race is pretty bad. The Flash/Green Lantern/Green Arrow crossover is a typical mediocre 90s crossover. The art throughout is generic while the art in The Black Flash is IMO awful. (What's with Wally's ridiculous goatee?)

I plan on getting the upcoming Waid collections to fill in the couple holes that I have in his run, but over 350 pages for under $25 has me concerned that the quality of the TPBs will be poor.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.