DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   What's the last comic (single issue) you read? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/612409-whats-last-comic-single-issue-you-read.html)

Trevor 04-27-14 11:19 PM

Re: What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Mind MGMT - great stuff

asianxcore 04-28-14 02:04 AM

Chew #40

Trevor 05-13-14 10:08 AM

I read a slew of Warren Ellis' Marvel 'first issues' last night. Nextwave, Iron Man, Thunderbolts, Astonishing X-Men, and several of his Ultimate series.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I liked them all, especially Thunderbolts.

macnorton 05-13-14 02:05 PM

Nailbiter #1 (Fantastic...could be the best new series of the year)

Southern Bastards #1 (Love both involved and the story is solid)

The Woods #1 (Quirky story, curious to see where it goes)

Hoping to read Lumberjanes #1 tonight...looked like a cool quirky book. I also have Dead Letters, Translucid and Calaban on deck too.

Kingmob6 05-17-14 01:34 AM

Have only started buying monthlies again in the past few months after a 13 + year absence from any sort of collecting.

Minimum Wage # 4 - Love that Fingerman is going back to the well, it's an old favorite from the '90s.

Miracleman # 5 - Not sure when I started picking up the old Eclipse issues, so these reprints have been fun and largely new to me.

Moon Knight # 3 - Loving Ellis' take on the material, and the largely wordless storytelling in these first issues makes for a certain elegance that really showcases the art. That said, I think I read this in around 5 minutes, which kind of surprised me and left me going back to skim it again to make certain I hadn't skipped a page or something.

Trevor 05-17-14 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kingmob6 (Post 12109145)
Have only started buying monthlies again in the past few months after a 13 + year absence from any sort of collecting.

Minimum Wage # 4 - Love that Fingerman is going back to the well, it's an old favorite from the '90s.

Miracleman # 5 - Not sure when I started picking up the old Eclipse issues, so these reprints have been fun and largely new to me.

Moon Knight # 3 - Loving Ellis' take on the material, and the largely wordless storytelling in these first issues makes for a certain elegance that really showcases the art. That said, I think I read this in around 5 minutes, which kind of surprised me and left me going back to skim it again to make certain I hadn't skipped a page or something.

Welcome to the forum!

And yes, comics are hard to quit. I've had months or even years of near cold turkey, but I always come back.

terrycloth 05-17-14 10:24 AM

yesterday i read

Magneto 1-3
Cyclops 1
Original Sin 0-1 and the avengers tie in.
I enjoyed all of them especially cyclops wasn't what i was expecting and i wasnt to big on infinity but original sin I enjoyed. I read them digitally on my coworkers account so maybe I enjoyed em more since i didnt drop 4$ a pop on them

terrycloth 05-30-14 09:54 PM

did some reading tonight since i have no life :)

6 Gun Gorilla 1-6 - really enjoyed this one and was not what i was expecting. gonna look up the writer on this and see what else he has done.

Red Rover Charlier 1-6 I really enjoyed this one, but was tamer then id had planned being whos on it. had alot of humor in it and a happy ending and they didnt turn it into a boweekly series!

Trevor 05-30-14 11:58 PM

I'm having a boring weekend so far too, and reading comics.

I've read a couple issues of the fifth (fourth?) volume of The Authority, spotted them at $.99 per on Comixology. Very sneaky tactic of Wildstorm of having backup stories in each issue that continue in different titles. I guess that whole universe always tied together anyway, Wildcats and Stormwatch was it? I enjoyed them enough to buy issues 3 and 4.

Just read a book by DVDTalk's own Jamie Rich, Archer Coe and the Thousand Natural Shocks. I liked it, but a little slim at about ten pages of actual story for $.99. It looks like it's 14 chapters were all released at once. I think I'll wait for a lower price point on the full story.

Inhumans99 06-07-14 02:21 AM

The Black Bat 2 - 4 (digital in one session)

terrycloth 06-12-14 11:00 AM

i picked up and read Mark Millers' Starlight today and enjoyed them

Trevor 06-12-14 11:34 AM

I read Letter 44 issue #1 and liked it enough to buy 2-5.

I think Afterlife with Archie is next in my queue.

jitterbug 07-17-14 06:45 AM

Rachel Rising #26.... Read it right after finishing Promethea

terrycloth 07-23-14 04:21 PM

I read Superman 32 and 33. this is my first experience with superman comics So far im enjoying it however the art in the book is boring me. iv only been reading for about a year now so im not familiar with artists work so i don't know of any past work

terrycloth 09-27-14 06:34 PM

Been doing A lot of reading last couple days being sick so decided to read thru the new 52 from scratch instead of picking up titles here and there.

Mister Terrific 1-8
DC Presents 0
Action Comics 0-18
Earth 2 0-26 *villains month and futures end issue also
Justice League 0-1

Not sure whats next I think I may start the Superman/Supergirl/SUperboy books

terrycloth 09-28-14 06:59 PM

Green Arrow 0-6
I never read anything with Green arrow prior and really like the show Arrow...didnt enjoy the first writer and havent heard the greatest things about Nocenti's run but will plow thru to get to Lemires run

PhantomStranger 09-30-14 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by terrycloth (Post 12249530)
Earth 2 0-26 *villains month and futures end issue also

Not sure whats next I think I may start the Superman/Supergirl/SUperboy books

What did you think of Earth 2's run? Is it worth my time?

terrycloth 09-30-14 05:56 AM

I have very limited knowledge of pre 52 comics so i feel a lot was wasted on me, but i did enjoy it (mainly read it bc of the new weekly book)
It started off as a light hearted book with humor thst i really enjoyed few issues in switched writers and it got a lot more serious. I enjoyed it i liked the break in the other universe books and was able to enjoy a stand alone series that i didnt have to jump around to different books

Inhumans99 10-06-14 01:34 AM

Afterlife With Archie 4 (one of only a small handful of titles that I do not only buy in tpb/digital format).

leahcim 10-10-14 07:14 AM

Just went through and entire run of X books for the the past year (catch up time) including All New, Uncanny, WaTx, Amazing, Magneto, Storm, Cyclops, Doop......

Fun times!! Tons of books and my eyes hurt but worth it. Nothing like smelling that freshly opened comic!!!

Still have tons of B books on digital but I have to own the good stuff physically.

terrycloth 10-20-14 02:11 PM

Im trying to get caught up on batman books
Batman n52 1-12
Batgirl 1-12
Tdk 1-12

Next is nightwing and catwoman

Inhumans99 11-09-14 02:08 PM

Ten Grand 8

leahcim 11-10-14 09:49 AM

Tooth and Claw #1 2014

Great stuff!!

Inhumans99 11-16-14 12:48 AM

Westward 1

terrycloth 11-16-14 01:17 PM

Read aquaman 1 thru 30 and justice league 1 thru 17 this weekend

majorjoe23 11-16-14 01:43 PM

Savage Dragon 199, which is all double page spreads. Basically a 10 panel comic book.

Visually it was breathtaking. Story was just ok.

Trevor 11-16-14 04:13 PM

So the last comic book I read was one I created myself, almost 40 years ago.

Growing up, I loved DC's horror books like House of Mystery, Unexpected, and Witching Hour. I especially enjoyed the occasional humor stories in said books, and the one page cartoon gags by Sergio Aragones and the like.

I regret part of this now, but at pretty much the only "purge mode" moment in my entire life, I got rid of most of my comics. (I was moving on to baseball cards or something). But before I gave them away, I went through those DC horror books and cut out all of the humor stories. I never made a cover for it, but this 50 or so page "comic book" is the gem of my collection.

Note the maze that I actually filled out, my block lettering of my name in the 'so stupid to spend $1 on a comic book' certificate, and the 1972 gem of a story that likely inspired the creation of DC's best ever comic, Plop!

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps99f04603.jpg

PhantomStranger 11-16-14 04:19 PM

Even as a 10-year-old, I could never cut up, or write, on my comics. I lost the cover to one of my first X-Men issues and swore never again that any comic of mine would be in less than pristine condition.

Trevor 11-16-14 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12304185)
Even as a 10-year-old, I could never cut up, or write, on my comics. I lost the cover to one of my first X-Men issues and swore never again that any comic of mine would be in less than pristine condition.

I used to be the same way. But in the above case, I wasn't doing the damage to my comics, but to my neighbor Jan to whom I had given them.

I used to bag and board everything, and only handling them with white gloves (slight exaggeration). But once I hit 30 or so, I stopped caring about condition. I buy comics to read them. Give me a slabbed Action #1 and I'm ripping it open and reading it.

Charlie_Saylor 11-19-14 05:57 AM

Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast.

terrycloth 10-14-15 09:04 AM

Enjoying some new books

Uncanny Avengers 1 - I actually like the teams line up as i am entertained by deadpool but his standalone series is too much deadpool for me so i liked his dynamic in this series. this book is a lot more humorous then i thought. only downfall for me is i find the art in this book horrible im not familiar with the artist but the style isnt for me. I may just wait to read more once it hits unlimited.

Superman - Lois and Clark 1 - I liked this one more then I expected and kinda like this take on Superman in the n52 universe.

Why So Blu? 10-14-15 10:22 PM

Just read Trick r Treat: Days of the Dead. It was pretty cool. I doubt they'll adapt this particular TPB into the sequel but I really like the timelines it followed.

terrycloth 10-16-15 05:49 PM

The New Avengers 1 ..outside of squirrel girl im not too familiar with the line up. really short book under 20 pages i bellieve (arent these bi weekly too?) ill read thru the first arc but nothing to promising here

The Guardians of the Galaxy 1 my first gotg book so maybe thats why i like the teams dynamic now with the changes i iked the first issue again short but il give this one a shot prolly my favorite next to dr, strange out of the new books

JumpCutz 10-17-15 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12304175)

Note the maze that I actually filled out, my block lettering of my name in the 'so stupid to spend $1 on a comic book' certificate, and the 1972 gem of a story that likely inspired the creation of DC's best ever comic, Plop!

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps99f04603.jpg

Great stuff Trevor. :thumbsup:

I love all the DC mystery/horror comics and own a ton of them....and PLOP! I actually have every issue, and Plop! #1 was the first comic I ever bought. :)

terrycloth 10-17-15 07:27 PM

The walking Dead 147 - i read TWD in tpb form up until all out war concluded so i got use to reading 5/6 issues at once. my friend wanted me to pull the book for him on my list so i began reading it monthy and only cow that would drive me nuts the only reason im still reading it like this is because its free. i still love the book but coudnt imagine paying 4$ for 3 minutes of reading every month.

terrycloth 12-01-15 08:31 PM

read

Trinity 1-3 today

Trevor 12-02-15 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 12620342)
Great stuff Trevor. :thumbsup:

I love all the DC mystery/horror comics and own a ton of them....and PLOP! I actually have every issue, and Plop! #1 was the first comic I ever bought. :)

I wish I could claim that as my first book! Plop was my first "must buy every issue" book, and I'm quite sad that they've rebooted every book they've every tried except it.

Originally Posted by terrycloth (Post 12658985)
read

Trinity 1-3 today

1993, 2003, or 2008?

terrycloth 12-02-15 03:37 PM

2003 Trinity

ill have to track down 93...anygood? i have 2008 series also

Trevor 12-02-15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by terrycloth (Post 12659773)
2003 Trinity

ill have to track down 93...anygood? i have 2008 series also

Sadly, I've yet to read any of them. I think I only own the one you just read, that's the Matt Wagner one, right? I know I'll freaking love it, just waiting for a day when I need a 'sure winner' to read it.

I'm not alone in that 'philosophy' am I? When you have hundreds of unread/unwatched /unplayed things, and know that title A is a sure thing, you sometimes watch/read/play all the others first, taking years to get to some of the best things?

terrycloth 12-02-15 05:48 PM

while not the same but similar..

examples X-men iv read barely anything and i cant bring myself to jump to the good stuff as i have to start from the beginning.