Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel Unlimited Comics Subscription Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Marvel Unlimited Comics Subscription Service

Does anyone subscribe to the Marvel Unlimited online subscription service? My daughter has just gotten into comics and I'm thinking of subscribing to the service. Their website doesn't seem to have a lot of information as to all the benefits of the service. Does the service allow for more than one person to be logged in to the account at one time? If my daughter is reading comics on her computer in her bedroom, can I be in the living room on my computer and read some? How many books can you download at one time and how many devices can you down load them on? I'm sure my daughter will download some and I'll want to download others for me to read.
Old 07-09-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts
Re: Marvel Unlimited Comics Subscription Service

I've been a subscriber since practically day one. I have no idea if the service allows for multipe logins since I've never needed to do so, but when I get a chance I'll try it out. I believe the download limit is 20, but I rarely download so I'd have to double check that as well. My assumption is that you can download to multiple devices, but no more than 20 total.

I love the service and I think it provides incalculable value, but I have to say that the app itself is pretty much the bare minimum of acceptability. The focus here is clearly on the content and not on the user experience. Even just logging in used to be hit or miss. I always found the Android app to be better than the web interface (never used the ios app). It's probably worth it to just do the free trial and see how it goes.

*Edit* I just logged onto my phone and my pc simultaneously. Everything seemed to work fine. It had been awhile since I tried the website. It still blows. And the download limit is 12, not 20.

Last edited by rocket1312; 07-09-21 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-09-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

This may be obvious but you only need to download stuff if you want to read it offline... otherwise if you're connected to wifi the streaming works fine.

This is a really old article but at least initially there was no feasible limit to account sharing. I've never personally been logged out of a device because I had logged into another, for instance:
https://www.comicbookherald.com/marv...devices-users/

Not that you should abuse it, of course.

It's a great service but like rocket1312 said, the main thing is the content and not the ease of finding content. They do have reading lists but I have no idea how to really use them to keep track of anything. And comics are usually so confusing to follow sequentially (at least most modern comics) that your best bet is to go find a reading list and keep track of what you read elsewhere (maybe I'm missing something, though).
Old 11-11-21, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the holidays coming around, I'm think of getting my daughter an annual subscription to Marvel Unlimited for Christmas so she'll have access to their catalog of comics. Has Marvel done any Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals for their annul plans in previous years? I don't know if I should wait until the last minute to subscribe or hope for some kind of discount during the holiday season. i know they sometimes have sales for individual digital titles, but that's just more of a waste for her, because she'll read it once and be done. So it's better for her to get a "streaming" type service since she won't care to "own" digital copes of series. Currently she's just ordering trade paperbacks from the local library and through Worldcat but it is more time consuming waiting to get trades and they don't always get shipped in order. I prefer her to read offline because then you get the whole experience of reading comics from flipping through pages, seeing the way colors pop on the printed page, and the smell of the old paper and inks. But I don't think the younger generation cares for that type of experience and wants more instant access to material.
Old 11-11-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

There was a deal last year for a year Annual sub for half price, I think. Maybe 40 bucks.
It would have been just a week or so before Christmas that i signed up. I saw the deal on Facebook. There may have been other deals throughout the year.
I would wait to see if a deal comes out, especially if it's a Christmas present. Worst case, same price.

OK I finally was able to log in. They at least had this deal last year:

Following one-week free trial period, first year billed at $55. Promotional price applies for first year only. Annual price is $69 after: Holiday Annual Sale - Year for $55

So not a great savings, but some. I subbed 12/15/20. I might have missed other deals.
I've used it maybe half a dozen times. I'll admit I'm not a huge Marvel fanatic, but I like some of their properties. But the app is just (or was, last I used it), cumbersome and annoying. I liked how it grouped storylines even through different titles, that was a very nice feature.
Geez, now even the website is annoying. I'm getting login loops and 'already signed in'.

I've got four longboxes of comics and dozens of TPBs and various collections that I still love and collect (mostly off Kickstarter recently) but I have really taken to digital comics. I read them so fast, it kinda hurts to pay 4 bucks minimum for an issue.
Though I'm not a fan of the MU app, I use the heck out of Comixology Unlimited. It does have a much smaller Marvel library than MU.

Yeah, the way people prefer to consume media is drastically evolving.
Old 11-12-21, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I subbed last year with the deal and turned off auto renew hoping for a repeat. If not, at least that premium package finally has an action figure that I want (Pirate Kitty Pryde)
Old 12-24-21, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok, just subscribed to the Marvel Unlimited service. I tried accessing any digital comics and here's what I get:

PLEASE WAIT!

It looks like you are already signed in.
We're sending you back to authorized space now.If you are not redirected in 10 seconds, please click here to return to the homepage.

It doesn't allow me to access anything after spending $99 for their service. It just keeps spinning like it's trying to log me in but nothing even though it says in one spot that I'm already logged in. Completely useless!!
Old 12-27-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully you got this figured out already but have you tried an incognito browser and logging in fresh?

One other thing to note is that it's some unified disney login, so if you have disney plus also you probably need to either clear your cookies or use the same account.
Old 12-27-21, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

My biggest problem with Marvel Unlimited was always their atrocious website. I used to have trouble logging in, but that was before they revamped the site and switched to the universal Disney login. I never use the browser now, so I can't say if it's still a problem for me.