DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Comic Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/)
-   -   What's the last comic (single issue) you bought? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk/612408-whats-last-comic-single-issue-you-bought.html)

mrhan 08-04-15 02:47 PM

Re: What's the last comic (single issue) you bought?

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 12435343)
This Blogspot has a lot of the Power Records up for listening/viewing. There's even a Kojak one!

I wish I had picked those up when I was growing up. I have most of Neal Adams' artwork for Marvel and DC but I don't own a single one of those Power records book he did. Thanks for the link. :)

Trevor 08-04-15 03:01 PM

I'm a sucker for those packs as well. I've bought a bunch at Dollar Tree, can't beat 3-4 comics for a buck. But now I know I need to check Marshall's too, wow.

PhantomStranger 08-04-15 11:09 PM

Here is another issue from the pack:

Adventures of Superman Annual #5 - This was part of the Bloodlines crossover event, when DC made a concerted effort to introduce new heroes activated when bit by these insect-like monsters. I don't think a single hero introduced during this event made a lasting impact, many of them were terribly generic efforts. This annual focused on Superboy (calling himself "Superman") hitting on a new superheroine while he fought the insect monsters. I never cottoned to this version of Superboy, either his visual design or general attitude.

This issue did have one great line in it. Being a superhero is like working as part actor and part boxer. The bad parts of each profession.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...n_Annual_5.jpg

PhantomStranger 08-15-15 02:13 PM

The Punisher War Journal #42

A completely disposable Punisher standalone story that feels like pure formula. The Punisher does have a funny mention about Irish gangs being the toughest of them all. Most startling for me in the issue was an ad for some Marvel trivia line charging $4 per call. Funniest thing in the issue was Stan's newsletter where he promises that Jim Cameron is working hard on a Spider-Man movie that will hit theaters very soon.:lol:

I was pretty shocked to see something like a 900 number being promoted by Marvel in their own comics. The ad warns kids not to call more than four times per week.:lol:

Daredevil #300

The man without fear finally brings the Kingpin to legal justice. Peter Parker makes a one-panel cameo. Marvel's softball team lost two out of three to DC's team that summer from the Marvel bullpen column. Though somehow the writer still gloats over Marvel's lone victory.

mrhan 09-06-15 10:40 AM

Anyone else collect these? Picked these up at a recent toy and comic show for $5 each. Issue 1 and 3 with interior art by Dick Giordano.

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/a...psnkr5g0c1.jpg

Trevor 09-06-15 10:52 AM

What are those? Charlton reprints of Marvel books?

mrhan 09-06-15 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12580532)
What are those? Charlton reprints of Marvel books?

Not reprints but all original work. I'm surprised you haven't seen these before....

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu

Deadly Hands of Kung Fu Deadly Hands of Kung Fu is a martial arts comic magazine published by Marvel Comics. There were a total of 33 issues published plus one Special Album Edition before the series was cancelled.

This magazine was published in the early 1970s amidst the brief kung fu movie craze. Bruce Lee had recently died, and his movies were scoring huge box-office grosses, along with other Hong Kong martial arts films (not to mention Billy Jack) that were shown in the United States at the time which did not quite as well. The Kung Fu TV series was being watched by millions. Carl Douglas had a hit song with "Kung Fu Fighting". The martial arts in general, and kung fu in particular, were on many people's minds at the time.

Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu magazine was launched in 1974 and ended 33 issues later in 1977. Some of the core recurring characters of the magazine were Shang Chi, master of kung fu; Iron Fist; the Sons of the Tiger; the White Tiger; Samurai; and Daughters of the Dragon, two female characters who had appeared in the Iron Fist comic. Each issue was an anthology with comic stories from these characters, both single issues stories and multi-issue arcs.

In addition, most issues had some kind of martial arts movie review from a recently released film. Other issues had interviews with authentic martial arts instructors, while others had interviews with movie or television celebrities related to martial arts. The early issues had a martial arts instructional section which described some elementary fighting techniques. These were provided by comics illustrator/martial artist Frank McLaughlin.

The magazine was strictly black-and-white with no color except for the cover. The cost of the magazine was 75 cents for issues #1-14. Issue #15 was a "Super Annual" (all reprints) issue and cost $1.25. Issues #16-33 were $1.00, as well as the Special Album Edition (June) 1974.

http://www.comicbook-collecting.com/...of-Kung-Fu.php

http://www.comic-covers.com/Marvel/M...0Fu/index.html

Trevor 09-06-15 11:33 AM

Interesting. I knew of the magazine and may even own a couple, but the cover confused me. I thought Marvel would have been on it somewhere.

mrhan 09-06-15 12:03 PM

Curtis Circulation Company is the name on the top left corner. Marvel started using their own name on the later Conan magazines. Issue no. 3 is also one of Frank McLaughlin's (Flash inker) early work.

PhantomStranger 09-06-15 12:29 PM

If I had been around when those were first published, I would have gone crazy for them. I don't remember seeing them before and I've gone through a lot of long boxes at conventions.

The art looks great.

mrhan 09-06-15 12:44 PM

I'm still on the look out for the Caine and Billy Jack covers. I have most of the Bruce Lee covers.

JumpCutz 09-11-15 10:29 PM

Speaking of the old black and whites, picked this up last week.

For size:

mrhan 09-12-15 06:54 AM

^^ Awesome cover!

Trevor 09-12-15 08:24 AM

I really need to come up with a reading plan to get through my Conan backlog. I think I own every issue ever. Well, at least the Marvel and Dark Horse runs. What is that, maybe a thousand books? Good gracious.

PhantomStranger 09-16-15 12:39 AM

More random issues I just bought from a grab-bag of 10 issues on the cheap.

Fantastic Five #1 - This was apparently a mini-series run a few years ago. It is the Fantastic Four plus Johnny Storm's wife and features the return of Doom from somewhere under the sea. I kid you not about that last part, Doom surprises Namor in his secret lair under the ocean. Somehow he then gets the power Cosmic and goes after the Fantastic Five, starting with the Thing. Ben struggles as his ex-wife shows up demanding their kids back.

Fantastic Four 323 - An Inferno crossover featuring Mantis and everyone's favorite time-traveler, Kang the Conqueror. Now this is my idea of the Fantastic Four and what I expect from their book. Johnny's powers are acting up and he's having problems flaming off. This is from the period when the Thing had mutated once again and took on an even rockier appearance. It's left hanging but there is an odd line by Kang how lonely he is to Mantis.

fujishig 09-16-15 12:48 AM

Fantastic five is in the Spidergirl universe, right?

PhantomStranger 09-16-15 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12588892)
Fantastic five is in the Spidergirl universe, right?

I'm not sure, I wouldn't be the one to ask about Marvel's last decade of continuity.

Marshalls have new 10-packs of random comics for $6.99 found in the children's book section. The latest stock seems to have better quality comics in them, including issues from the past decade.

PhantomStranger 09-17-15 08:44 PM

Savage Dragon #11

I always liked the character of Savage Dragon, even if the comic was often hit or miss in quality. A movie would have been awesome. This issue introduces another disposable Image villain with the Fiend, dispatched in a couple of panels. Dragon takes Rapture out on a date but she walks away from sleeping with him. The most notable thing about this issue is the length of the letters column.

The last eight pages of the thin comic book are dedicated to letters from fans in single-space font. I've never seen this many letters published in a comic book. Apparently Larsen wasn't taking advertising during this time, so he had a lot of space to fill with pin-ups and letters. Mike Mignola sends in a letter plugging Hellboy.

Batman 23.3 (Penguin solo issue from the New 52 with awesome 3-D hologram? cover) - A disposable Penguin solo story reminding us he's a nasty guy at heart.

Trevor 09-18-15 02:20 PM

Off to check Marshalls.

PhantomStranger 09-19-15 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12591266)
Off to check Marshalls.

I think they must have come in the past week. Many stores stock anew after Labor Day.

I actually bought a couple of the ten packs. There are a couple of duplicates in the two packages I bought, though I was pretty happy with the random selection. Mostly seemed to be a smattering of Marvel, DC, and older Image books put together. They are in surprisingly great condition, untouched by human hands. I would imagine they were all overstock of some kind that had been sitting in a warehouse. As usual, a mix of more popular characters like Batman and the Hulk with weird stuff (Horseman?) included to round it out.

PhantomStranger 09-21-15 12:06 AM

X-Patrol #1

Remember Amalgam comics? That fun crossover where Marvel and DC mashed up their familiar characters into all-new characters? This 1996 issue mashes up various characters from Doom Patrol, X-Factor and the Titans. It's apparent a lot of thought and effort was put into this comic, from the stunning art for a monthly comic to an entirely fake letters page acting like Amalgam Comics had a long history. Karl and Barbara Kesel are the writers.

I don't recognize the artists but Roger Cruz as penciler and Jon Holdredge as inker do a fantastic job having fun with the new costume and character designs. Beastling, a mix of Beast Boy and Hank McCoy. Doctor Doomsday crosses Doomsday with Doctor Doom. My favorite from this issue has to be Shatterstarfire. It is obvious the artist is having fun drawing Starfire in the most provocative poses possible. This is a really fun issue for the Amalgam concept and actually one of the best discoveries I've had in a while from a blind assortment.

Horseman #0

Anyone ever visit Hank's Bulletproof Comics in New York City? I wonder if it is still around. This was published in 1996. I had never heard of this comic before opening the pack and discovered it's an indie black-and-white comic from someone named Hank Kwon. The Horseman is a Korean folk hero set in the 16th Century. For an indie comic, it's a pretty high-quality release. The story involves a lot of Korean and biblical references. You can tell this comic was a labor of love.

PhantomStranger 09-22-15 09:01 PM

Supreme #37

This 1996 issue was actually written by Jim Valentino. I may have said this before but I loved Supreme as a series because it took the idea of Superman and applied a fun, over-the-top Silver Age paradigm to the character. Parallel Earths, multiple versions of Supreme, a daughter that goes by Lady Supreme; That is all stuff the regular Superman comics haven't been giving me for decades. DC has run the "human", depowered version of Superman into the ground since Byrne's reboot. Valentino makes this a very fun, classic comic book tale with the two Supremes fighting it out until a villain reveals himself as manipulating both of them.

I had forgotten that Image hired actual models to cosplay as Glory and their other female characters for promotional purposes. Lady Supreme #1 was advertised in here as having a variant photo cover.

Trevor 09-23-15 10:26 AM

What's a good reading order/plan for Supreme? Weren't there multiple series and/or minis/appearances?

I always meant to read it, at least after Moore starting writing it, but don't think I ever actually read an issue.

PhantomStranger 09-23-15 01:54 PM

There is one main Supreme series and a bunch of spin-offs and specials. Many people read Moore's run which does have more depth than what had gone before in the series. The character had already been handled as a loose riff on the Silver Age Superman before Moore came on board. The first 40 issues are probably worth reading if you like a light, modern version of Silver Age Supes, then Moore's arc begins. The comic art is done in the traditional Image style of the mid-90s.

This blogger recaps the beginning of Alan Moore's run:

http://www.tor.com/2012/07/16/the-gr...upreme-part-1/

Rob Liefeld basically handed him the character and told Moore he could do anything he wanted with the character.

As far as I know, the trades are all out of print and not particularly cheap on the used market. I've seen complete Supreme runs on eBay go under $100. I have no idea about legitimate digital pricing. The complete run is pretty easily available for free via cbr torrents.

Trevor 09-23-15 05:26 PM

You'd think that once I stopped believing in God I'd be ok with using torrents, but nope.

Seems like the sort of thing that will eventually turn up in a Humble Bundle or a Comixology $.99 sale. I'm sure I'll jump on it then.

fujishig 09-24-15 07:30 PM

The Savage Dragon letter pages were (are?) often the best part of the comic... though I would love either a digital sale or a true omnibus release. I think they solicited one but then that fell through for some reason.

PhantomStranger 09-24-15 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12597527)
The Savage Dragon letter pages were (are?) often the best part of the comic... though I would love either a digital sale or a true omnibus release. I think they solicited one but then that fell through for some reason.

The Savage Dragon omnibus was announced on Amazon and has been vaporware for the past year. I am getting the feeling it's not coming now.

PhantomStranger 09-28-15 06:36 PM

Namor #50

The cover speaks for itself but the double-sized issue opens with Sue Richards getting out of Namor's bed after a night of passionate sex!? Is this a trick or possibly her doppelganger? Read the issue to find out!

I'll digress for a moment on a very important issue that has been bugging me for several decades. Sue has this breathless dialogue in the opening panels to Namor. "Let's face it, Lover - You and I have been denying our feelings to each other since we first met.":lol:

Have adults at any point in the history of the world spoken like that line? Marvel had a strange habit of having their female characters always call their men "lover" well after that term had fallen out of favor. This issue was published in 1994, not 1974. I always found it a weird Marvel anachronism.

"Someone's been Sleeping in My Bed!" Guest-starring the Fantastic Four and Namorita. Story by Glenn Herdling. Art and cover by Geof Isherwood. With Reed Richards dead how long will it be before Namor and Susan Richards can no longer deny their attraction for one another. How will the rest of the Fantastic Four react to Sue's strange behavior, and what enemy from Namor's past returns when he least expects it? NOTE: This story takes place before the events of Fantastic Four (1961-1996 1st Series) #387. Includes 3 pin-ups of the Sub-Mariner by Jeff Isherwood. 48 pages.

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.ne...600/997237.jpg

mrhan 09-28-15 06:43 PM

^^^ Why are her legs almost transparent on that cover. :lol:

fujishig 09-28-15 07:00 PM

I like how they put the '4' in the logo.

I don't find that line any more stilted than comic book dialogue of either sex back in the day, with the endless exposition and saying things out loud for the sake of the audience. I'm sure if I go through my New Warriors omni or something else of that era a lot of that dialogue would sound weird when spoken.

Of course, this is the era where Sue's costume had a cut out of the '4' logo on her chest (mercifully hidden here), so I get what you're saying.

PhantomStranger 09-28-15 07:17 PM

The cover I posted was actually for the standard variant. I actually picked up the silver foil variant with the same cover. It's a weird choice because the silver highlights don't work that well for the picture.

The interior art is fairly suspect as well. There is a splash page with Namor looking like a cross between a naked bodybuilder and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. Which reminds me that Stay Puft would make a great Halloween costume...

PhantomStranger 09-30-15 11:40 PM

Dr. Fate #8

This issue is from 1989. The cover art is interesting for this era. What struck me was the giant one-page ad on the back cover for Keaton's upcoming Batman movie. I remember the ad well, it was everywhere that summer. While I always liked Dr. Fate showing up in Justice League or as a guest in other books, I wasn't a big follower of his own series.

This issue is from the weird era when Kent Nelson is trapped in some other body and two other people, a man and a woman, would merge to form Dr. Fate. The story is kind of a doozy. Some man 25,000 years ago elevated himself to "Lord of the Fourth Heaven" by some arcane process and runs his own private dimension where women service his every whim. Some guy living today has come across a ritual to displace the current Lord of the 4th Heaven and naturally the current one fights back, resulting in massive destruction in our world. Sadly, the story ends on a cliffhanger and I may never know what happens in issue #9.

http://covers2.cbrd.info/92719f14dfe...58073c44_l.jpg

Trevor 10-01-15 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 12603784)
Dr. Fate #8

Sadly, the story ends on a cliffhanger and I may never know what happens in issue #9.

I'll pull those issues out the next time I'm near those boxes and read them for you.

The Valeyard 10-13-15 11:21 PM

Hit a store in Pasadena that I haven't been to in a while and they had a box full of old Archies for a buck each. The issues ranged from the mid-60s to the early 70s. Lotta hippy clothing. I grabbed three books - Life with Archie #40 because it had a story that I use to own in an old Archie paperback; 1969's Archie's Madhouse Annual#6; and the third comic.... only because of the infamous cover.

http://i62.tinypic.com/20rv7rc.jpg

terrycloth 11-28-15 02:11 PM

Grabbed some of the local comicbook shop variants today
Batman
Avengers
Hangman
And the valiant titles

Trevor 11-28-15 05:28 PM

My local store's Black Friday sale includes all Convergence and Secret Wars issues at $1 a pop. Tempted to get them all, but, so far, just sticking to the titles/characters I normally collect.

They actually have had the Convergence issues at $1 for awhile, so I had already bought all the Justice League associated ones.

For Secret Wars, the bonus of knowing they come with a digital code make it very tempting to just buy them, redeem the codes, read the floppies, then donate them to Good Will.

The Valeyard 12-06-15 02:13 PM

Recent purchases. Some from a trip to Orlando. Some from a local show for a buck.

The Flash (Vol. 1) #275 - The death of Iris Allen.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...psps67samc.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man (Vol.1) #181 - A re-buy. Use to own one but traded it way back when.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...psa7gibrod.jpg

Spider-Woman (Vol. 1) #1 - Got it for $5. One day, she'll show up in a movie and BA-BOOM!$!$!
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...pstu1c5ztd.jpg

Marvel Premiere #28 - Another re-buy. I think I still have the tattered cover of my original.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...psolv89r9z.jpg

The Brave and the Bold (Vol. 1) #120
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...psvm44jcrk.jpg

The Brave and the Bold (Vol. 1) #124 - Get to work, Aparo!
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...pshumtuqwj.jpg

Astonishing Tales #29
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...psi6iegvby.jpg

World's Finest (Vol.1) #204 - Love the white suit era of WW.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...psofafzi7c.jpg

mrhan 12-06-15 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 12663610)
World's Finest (Vol.1) #204 - Love the white suit era of WW.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...psofafzi7c.jpg

It seemed like everyone hated that version of WW when it came out. I thought it was one of the best runs of WW. It really tried to make her different without messing with who she really was inside. I collected every book that she appeared in. The only one I haven't found is Jerry Lewis 117. I know it's on Ebay but I like to look over back issues before buying them.

The Valeyard 02-06-16 01:39 AM

Got these at a local show last week.

http://s2.postimg.org/q1p1bkecp/New_COmix.jpg

mrhan 02-07-16 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard (Post 12716464)
Got these at a local show last week.

http://s2.postimg.org/q1p1bkecp/New_COmix.jpg

Is that an old Thunder Agent by Wally Wood? Cool find if it is.